Timberline 2 Bag vs HighCamp Bag

DIY

WKR
Im probably going to sell my duplex frame and go with the bikini, I feel like that is a good move, however Im still wondering about the bag. I like the new high camp bag for weight; however I really dont like the setup for the highcamp for a spotter and tripod. The T2 has thos nice long pockets on side. Im assuming you could buy long pockets for these items, but till you do that you might be close in weight anyway? Im a ounce counter, but not sure I wanna give up some of the T2 features. Any opinions or is anyone else having the same issues.

Beastmode

WKR
Im probably going to sell my duplex frame and go with the bikini, I feel like that is a good move, however Im still wondering about the bag. I like the new high camp bag for weight; however I really dont like the setup for the highcamp for a spotter and tripod. The T2 has thos nice long pockets on side. Im assuming you could buy long pockets for these items, but till you do that you might be close in weight anyway? Im a ounce counter, but not sure I wanna give up some of the T2 features. Any opinions or is anyone else having the same issues.

If I went to the bikini frame I would keep my timberline bag. I like my gear really organized and having external pockets is a must. I don't like hanging a bunch of pockets and pouches to the pack. I like a solid sewn connection. The weight difference isn't as big of a factor as organization is for me.

My T1 bag custom cut along with my XTL lid with almost everything removed comes in at 2 lbs 14 oz. And that is in multicam. For the extra 12 oz's of weight over a 4800 high camp I get 2 slot pockets, 2 medium belt pouch pockets on the back. If you add up the weight of 2 long pockets (roughly 9oz apiece) + 2 medium belt pouch pockets on the back (roughly 3 oz apiece) it puts the high camp weight over my timberline. And I still have a little more cubes with the Timberline.

My DT1 Custom Cut
2 slot pockets
2 medium belt pouches on back
Custom XTL lid with everything except pocket cut off
2lbs 14 oz

Highcamp 4800 in multicam
2lbs 2 oz
2 long pockets - 18 oz
2 medium belt pouch 6 oz

3 lbs 10oz for a 4800 high camp with the same pockets
3 lbz 13 oz for a 7000 high camp with same pockets.

The high camp will offer more modularity options and the ability to move your pockets around. But I love how the timberline is organized and it works for me perfect the way it is. With the cuts to my timberline I believe my capacity is right in the 6500-6800 range including my XTL lid. Pretty good weight for a big pack like that with a bunch of organization options

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very true Ohhiitznik!!

However, I will be running the KU line for all my pockets as I have in the past. Mucho lighter for the same cu in

So figure

High camp 7000=35 oz
2 long pockets=9 oz
2 medium weight pockets=3.6 oz
Total of 47.6 oz or 2 pound 15.6 oz

So for roughly 2 oz more weight you'll have about 2000 more cu in of space as you won't have a snow collar on your DT1 to go higher I presume so its no longer 5400 cu in packbag inside. Plus the side pockets are not 100% usable with a packed bag inside. Which is why I now prefer separate KU long pockets on the sides of my pack instead of the sleeves as the attached pockets don't lose their volume or make it harder to get items in and out of them (like a spotter scope or tripod) if your packbag is stuffed full.

Just all trade offs but like the idea of being able to swap pockets on if I need them and if I am day hunting I can put everything inside the bag to keep things lower profile and out of the rain.

Of course if I was going for maximum volume for weight I'd run my Longhunter rondy bag with standard lid with KU large possibles pouch on the lid for a total of 2 pounds 9 oz for 8900 cu in of space and have both of those setups whipped volume wise given the weight.

Just so many ways to skin this cat, all depending on what suits your needs and how you like to organize it. Certainly no wrong way and its nice to have so many options to curtail you pack to suit your style/needs. Kudos to Kifaru for offering all the options indeed.

Last edited:
Very true Ohhiitznik!!

However, I will be running the KU line for all my pockets as I have in the past. Mucho lighter for the same cu in

So figure

High camp 7000=35 oz
2 long pockets=9 oz

So for roughly 2 oz more weight you'll have about 2000 more cu in of space as you won't have a snow collar on your DT1 to go higher I presume so its no longer 5400 cu in packbag inside. Plus the side pockets are not 100% usable with a packed bag inside. Which is why I now prefer separate KU long pockets on the sides of my pack instead of the sleeves as the attached pockets don't lose their volume or make it harder to get items in and out of them (like a spotter scope or tripod) if your packbag is stuffed full.

Just all trade offs but like the idea of being able to swap pockets on if I need them and if I am day hunting I can put everything inside the bag to keep things lower profile and out of the rain.

Of course if I was going for maximum volume for weight I'd run my Longhunter rondy bag with standard lid with KU large possibles pouch on the lid for a total of 2 pounds 9 oz for 8900 cu in of space and have both of those setups whipped volume wise given the weight.

Just so many ways to skin this cat, all depending on what suits your needs and how you like to organize it. Certainly no wrong way and its nice to have so many options to curtail you pack to suit your style/needs. Kudos to Kifaru for offering all the options indeed.

Quit your cheating with the KU pockets hipster! You also listed weights for the coyote highcamp, Gotta compare apples to apples luke. Gotta have a camo pack to match my cool clothes :).
Aron gave a figure for the CI lost from the snow collar of the T1 when you cut it, I'll go look for it to be certain. But then again if I was in alaska I'd probably want the cubes and a highcamp 7000. For the lower 48 though I think the timberline beats it out as most of us down here aren't packing a raft and all the other things you'd take while in alaska.

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
Very true Ohhiitznik!!

So figure

High camp 7000=35 oz
2 long pockets=9 oz

Love to see some pics of your set up! Sounds good and opens up further possibilities for me and my options for my decision on my next pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
Your comparing a t2 to a hc1? Your comparing a 3500ish cu main bag on the ts to a 7000 cu main bag on the HC.

I sold my T1 to get a HC2. Time will tell if I made the right decision or not but when I owned the T1 I wished that I had the ability to remove some of the pockets(especially when I never used them). I actually was toying around with the idea of getting a long hunter legacy before the HC came out. Glad I waited on that one.

I also run KU pockets. I don't understand why people don't like running a spotter in a long pocket.

dotman

WKR
Your comparing a t2 to a hc1? Your comparing a 3500ish cu main bag on the ts to a 7000 cu main bag on the HC.

I sold my T1 to get a HC2. Time will tell if I made the right decision or not but when I owned the T1 I wished that I had the ability to remove some of the pockets(especially when I never used them). I actually was toying around with the idea of getting a long hunter legacy before the HC came out. Glad I waited on that one.

I also run KU pockets. I don't understand why people don't like running a spotter in a long pocket.

My guess is that some feel the spotter is more protected in a sewn on cordura pocket?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Dotman you are probably right. But my spotter sports a neoprene sleeve over it anyways so not looking for the pocket to protect it at all...thus me going with KU pockets. :D

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Can someone give more detail on how the lower compartment differs on the HC vs. Timberline and why it was changed?

trk3263

WKR
Nice thread. I was thinking about going with a T2 or T3 for my next pack but you guys got me thinking that I really like being able to drop pockets with gear at camp rather than having to go through and remove everything from the pockets. I think I will look more at the KU and HC.

Thanks

Can someone give more detail on how the lower compartment differs on the HC vs. Timberline and why it was changed?

The timberline has a sewn in sleeping bag divider/meat shelf some call it. The high camp does not. Also the timberlines zipper runs the whole circumference of the pack, while the high camp is a horseshoe at the bottom. I believe those are the only differences.

I don't understand why people don't like running a spotter in a long pocket.

the exterior pockets i tried on my longhunter have a tendancy to sway too much for me when the main bag is empty and the pocket has something heavy like a spotter in it, maybe the HC adressess this, maybe not

BigSurArcher

Banned
I've got a Highcamp on order, and I plan on embracing the simplicity and lack of bells and whistles (specialty pockets). The only items on the outside of the pack will be my tripod and sleeping pad. I plan on organizing my stuff inside the pack with silnylon pullouts, and my spotter will rest at the top underneath the hood for easy access. What's the difference between grabbing your spotter out of a tall zipped side pocket on the T2 vs under the hood on a Highcamp? I'll have a small pocket on the belt for rangefinder/ camera, as well as medium and large pockets for the outside of the pack for when I need more space for 15x56's, easy to access snacks, etc. I don't plan on needing the extra pockets all the time though. The inside of my pack may contain more free floating items (pullouts + spotter) this way, but I plan on stowing most of my meat in a tall sack between the bag and frame when I kill something anyway. If I run out of room inside the pack for the rest of my meat, I can always lash pullouts to the outside and top of the bag in a pinch.

Steve O- I believe the bottom of the pack was changed to compromise due to customer feedback. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently there were a number of opinions voiced that didn't like the zipper going all the way around, which resulted in the Highcamp zipper design.

Lawnboi

WKR
the exterior pockets i tried on my longhunter have a tendancy to sway too much for me when the main bag is empty and the pocket has something heavy like a spotter in it, maybe the HC adressess this, maybe not

Makes sense, I wonder if it will do this if the spotter was put on the back of the pack. Id try it but im currently without a spotter.

i think a bungie kit would really help with this except for me i wouldnt like i spotter on the back as i have rifle on one side so spotter and tripod help balance that and i wouldnt want to keep setting my whole pack down on my spotter