Timberline 2 vs Mountain Warrior

rjs34

FNG
I bought an internal frame Timerline 2 with a longhunter lid around 4 or 5 years ago (along with a few older version side pockets) and have been using it for deer and elk hunting with no issues. Now that my kids are getting older I still hunt but am doing some more 4 or 5 day backpacking trips with them (Ruby Crest Trail, Maroon Bells etc). The pack and lid weigh around 7.5 pounds and am kicking around the idea of trying a new frame and mountain warrior but really when its all said and done it will be roughly a pound less than my current setup, not sure if a new setup is worth a 1-1.5 pounds. I realize that if If I go that route, the plus side is I can purchase and swap out different bags.

I really like the comfort of the T2 with heavy loads but would like something lighter for 40-50 lb longer distance backpacking trips. Sorry for the rambling just would like thoughts from someone that's been where I am.

hunting1

WKR
Well, i'll try and answer having had both and still using the Mountain Warrior. The frame will carry heavy loads better, I prefer a panel loader, the only down side is the frame will be a little heavier (I am still using the Hunter frame)

I do not miss the internal when over 50-lbs, both are great packs, good luck.

OP
rjs34

rjs34

FNG
Well, i'll try and answer having had both and still using the Mountain Warrior. The frame will carry heavy loads better, I prefer a panel loader, the only down side is the frame will be a little heavier (I am still using the Hunter frame)

I do not miss the internal when over 50-lbs, both are great packs, good luck.

How heavy is your hunter frame and MW pack combined roughly?