Timberline 5200 or 7200

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my trips are in the 2-5 day range so I was leaning towards the 5200. As far as I can tell from the photos the only difference is a 5 oz collar on the 7200. Do they "Compress" the same (collar fold down) or will I have long straps to deal with on the 7200 when day hunting? The extra room could be nice when taking an animal and gear down in one trip.

dotman

WKR
The T2 would be perfect for what you describe :). The T1 compresses way down so in day pack mode they are amazing. I just sold my X2 because my T1 will do it all. The straps never bother me, just tuck them under a grab it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The main bag is bigger. I traded my T2 for a T1. It's very hard to stretch that fabric:)

sk1

WKR
I was talked into the bigger T1, and am glad I was.....if you use a spotting scope and tripod in the side pockets they definitely take up space in the internal compartment....also as Aron shows in some of his videos, if you get the T1 and cut off the snow collar, it's a T2 with a bigger circumference on the main bag. I did that and am so happy I did. Especially when hauling out my elk the other night, on my first trip out I had gear, a boned out hind quarter, and bone in front shoulder.....can't make a pack grow like Ryan said, good thing mine didn't need to other than loosening some straps and expanding the pack!

If you never go over 5 days, the T2 would be just fine. If you ever think you'll go longer than 5, you might want more space. But with a T2 you can add pockets for extra space when needed. I prefer a custom DT1 for everything, as I can cinch it down tight and its basically like its not there when I'm in day hunt mode.

I would also opt for the larger T1. I had the T2 and just purchased a DT1. The T1 will compress down to a nice narrow profile to day hunt with also. With a little surgery and customization the bag is the nearly the same weight. With my experience there will come a time when you will appreciate the extra room.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you plan on taking your gear and boned out animal out in one trip I would recommend the bigger bag. I have both and my gear for 5 days takes up 70% of the volume of the DT2. Which means when I put meat inside I have to start strapping gear to the outside. I prefer not to do that as it gets damaged or hangs up on brush. The difference in weight between the two is neglible and the extra room is priceless when you need it.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I will start by saying that I haven't minimized all my gear, but for a 5-day late-season hunt, the 7200 cu in, fills right up to where the collar starts. And this is with the tent on the outside. Stuffing stuff in the outside side pockets takes away some inside room. I would not want a smaller pack. The difference between gear for a three-day hunt and a five-day hunt is just a bit of food. Take the bigger pack :). It cinches down quite nicely, and if/when you need the space, it will be there!

By the way, I live in Alberta, so "late-season" hunts can start as early as the beginning of October, when the high-country starts to fill up with snow.

Frans