timberline bag vs longhunter

what are the benefits of the timberline bags over the longhunter bags?
i see the pockets as being helpful in organization of small gear and the spotter pocket, is there other benefits to help justify an upgrade?

Lawnboi

WKR
built in pockets, i wish the longhunter legacy was out when i got my T1(although i dont really need a frame and the t1 is still really light, and it would have been a tough pick). I like having one big bag and sometimes find that the timberline pockets dont suite me well.

Now if they made a longhunter with the built in frame like on the T1 i would be all over it! My T1 would go into the classifieds instantly

Another reason i would like one big bag is because when i do want pockets, i can put them on where ever and when ever i want given the situation.

The modularity is what will keep me stuck on kifaru

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
The versatility is the big thing that the T1 has, the external pockets are the big difference. The long side pockets are huge in loading the pack full IMO. With the pack bag full you can still use the external pockets.
The duplex suspension is a little heavier on the Longhunter, and it will not flex like the T1 will. For some, that is a good thing. It will carry a heavy load easier, but will feel stiffer at all times. For some this will not be as comfortable.

I personally like the way the T1 allows me to move without feeling like I have a stiff board against my back, like I felt with the duplex frame system.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Timberline bags (Duplex or Standard) will compress more than a Longhunter bag as well. This is do to the location of the compression straps and where they attach at the bag.

Both packs at very similar (duplex timberline and Longhunter). Pockets being the major difference. Can't go wrong with either. I have a G2 Longhunter Guide and a KU 5200. I have grown to love one big bag with no pockets because of both those packs. I never mind not having pockets.

With that said however I hope to get a timberline duplex here in the future to add to my tool belt of packs. The side pockets of the timberline would be nice for a spotting scope or things you want real quick access too.

Both packs are awesome and you can't go wrong with either!!! Good luck in your decision.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a T1 and a DT1, however my DT1 bag may be going to the wayside as my Rendevous longhunter back (a true 8500 cu in) is lighter than the DT1 bag by a good amount and has more space. Space for me is key on 10 day hunts especially when I get to carry 65+% of a given load volume gets eaten up fast. I also found the side pockets on the T1 and DT1 are not really that useful when the pack is full. In fact you have to load the side pockets well before you get the main compartment full if you want to fit things like spotters and what not in there and be able to pull them out and back in without REALLY jamming them in. We'll see, but you might se a DT1 bag in the classifieds in the coming months.

"The long side pockets are huge in loading the pack full IMO. With the pack bag full you can still use the external pockets."

"I also found the side pockets on the T1 and DT1 are not really that useful when the pack is full. In fact you have to load the side pockets well before you get the main compartment full if you want to fit things like spotters and what not in there and be able to pull them out and back in without REALLY jamming them in."

Two very different comments about the side pockets. Anyone else care to chime in? I was very happy to hear that you can utilize the side pockets even when the pack is full, most other packs will not allow this.

OP
fillthefreezer
ive been using the longhunter bag for about 1.5 months now and was just wondering what id gain if i went to a dt1 bag. it would be nice to have a dedicated spot for the spotter and be able to compress the sleepbag compartment when empty a little better.
luke, your bag is foliage correct? ;)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my external pockets after loading the pack. I have not really noticed any issues. I run my Swaro 65 spotter on one side and my Outdoorsman Tripod on the other. I also put some smaller items in the bottom like socks, gloves, etc. When the spotter and tripod come out and then put them back in, it is tight but manageable none the less. I am running a DT2 right now, but will be getting the DT1 by the end of the year.

OP
fillthefreezer
seems for me with my xtl i have enough small pockets but my spotter seems to kind of flop around in the longhunter bag and the bottom doesnt really compress when empty

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a T1 and a DT1, however my DT1 bag may be going to the wayside as my Rendevous longhunter back (a true 8500 cu in) is lighter than the DT1 bag by a good amount and has more space. Space for me is key on 10 day hunts especially when I get to carry 65+% of a given load volume gets eaten up fast. I also found the side pockets on the T1 and DT1 are not really that useful when the pack is full. In fact you have to load the side pockets well before you get the main compartment full if you want to fit things like spotters and what not in there and be able to pull them out and back in without REALLY jamming them in. We'll see, but you might se a DT1 bag in the classifieds in the coming months.

I with you. My buddy has a T1 and while I like the pack it felt small to me for what I use a pack for up here. The LH Legacy is the pack I want to order. Mix around some external pockets and I think I will have my ideal pack.. Hopefully I can make an order soon!

stephen b

WKR
Interesting thread. I just today got a DT2 (pack bag) with a LH lid in the mail new from Kifaru, that I was really excited about getting. I had never seen one in person, but was interested in upgrading to extra outside pockets. I already have a LH guide bag for my Duplex frame and a couple other bags that work real well on the frame. I was thinking of keeping the DT2 and selling the LH Guide.

Well..., after all my pre ordering and pre-delivery excitement about receiving the DT2, it is going back and I am keeping the LH guide. This is for a variety of reasons. First off the DT2 with out the lid and W/O the chamber pocket (so I could compare apples and apples) is 8.25 oz. heavier than the LH guide. And the LH guide is HUGE compared to the size of the DT2. The Guide is a full 6" taller and is almost 1.5 inches wider on flat measuring edge to edge. And this includes all the side pockets on the DT2. And I am not all that keen on the front pockets on the DT2. I am not sure they work as good as the ext. ones that I use. Also when I stuffed the DT2 full, the side slip pockets were not as useful as ext long pockets that I use. I have 2 ext. long pockets made of cordura ( that weigh together 10.25 oz. - almost the difference in the DT2 vs. the guide- only a net of 2 oz. more).

So in the end the LH guide starts off at 8.25 oz. lighter than the DT 2 ( my LH Guide W/O any lid weighs 34.20 oz) and then the ext side pockets that I can use, or not use are more useful as far as space of ci, compared to the side slip pockets on the DT2. And the overall ci of the Guide is much bigger. In the end, there was only a couple things about the DT2 that I thought were going to be better-over the LH guide. One was the slip pockets, but to me that did not end up being the case. So I will end up using the LH guide for bigger trips (instead of the smaller bags I use now on the Duplex frame for most hunting) and have a ton of versatility with it.

stephen b

WKR
Besides the LH Guide and the Kifaru cargo panel I actually have a # of bags that can work on the frame. This last archery early season I mostly used a Wilderness Pack Specialties Bighorn bag that I have had for yrs. It is a nice 2800 ci very quiet bag that is simple, but well layed out. Mine is an older model. All the bags that I use go on fairly easily on the duplex frame- but I have learned quite a bit by trial and error how to adapt and put on the bags on the frame with only minimal hardware. I also have in my kill kit a very light weight cargo panel from WPS that works very well.

At this point I actually have too many bags that work on the duplex frame and I am going to start culling the herd so to speak and get rid of a few. Some of the the other ones that I have that work well are a MR Military Tri zip bag that is similar to a Longbow, but bigger. Also have a MR crew cab that I just got to check out. And I have another small fanny pack and utility bag from WPS that is more of a day hunt/ load hauler type of bag.

One pack bag that I used this past weekend on a hunt that I am real excited about is the Stone Glacier Solo bag. It works and goes on the duplex frame real easy; well fairly easily, as it took a little initial thought on my part, but after that it went on easy and works great with some hardware from my Kifaru cargo panel.

The Solo pack bag alone starts off at 1.33 lbs for a 3300 ci bag ( with a load panel included in that wt. that increases the volume by 2400 ci. +) and the cargo panel. Attaching hardware brings it closer to 1.7 lbs. The bag is simple, well thought out and is made very well- it is quite nice. It is in the foliage 500 cordura with some other lt. wt. tough fabric on the back. Did not get to use the load panel on it this weekend unfortunately- but it is going to work great.

Here is a link to a thread that I put on here earlier this year showing a bunch on bags from other manufacturers mounted to a MMR frame:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...g-versatility-(one-modular-pack-fans-journey)

* Note- some of the bags pictured in that earlier thread I no longer use or have.

Last edited:
OP
fillthefreezer
i had read that thread and really liked seeing your craftiness. i did not recall it was you who had posted it.
i have one of the wps load slings i might try on there as well

stephen b

WKR
i have one of the wps load slings i might try on there as well

It is real easy to put on. All you need for hardware is (6) "Slotted Quick Attach Female SR Buckles" that attach to the duplex panel (3 on each side of frame). And then (6) corresponding "Adjustable Male SR Buckles".

You can either get these from the kit section on Kifaru accessories page, or there are plenty of them in the Kifaru cargo panel kit.

You put the six female buckles on the frame where you want them. Then you attach (thread) the (6) nylon straps on the WPS cargo panel ( they call it a "Handi-Pak") through the male SR buckles.

Then simply attach the bottom strap and 3 bar slider of the WPS cargo panel to the plastic loop attachment point on the bottom of the duplex frame; and then snap in the (6) male buckles to the (6) female buckles on the frame and Voila- you are good to go.

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
I am really liking the HPG bags at 2500 ci in silnylon at 7oz or in 500d cordura at 1.25 pounds to go with a cargo hauler duplex frame and KU pods for about a quarter of the cost of the Solo...

pat