Timberline vs. 6500

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
sreekers, I would agree the EMR, grab it and cargo panel are the $hit for hauling loads. I wouldn't be surprised if one day Kifaru sometime of bag similar to the Timberline that will attach to the Duplex. They have a lot on their plate right now with all the Timberline purchases right now. Someday though....

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have thought about starting a "Who wants a" thread in regards to a timberline bag/EMR frame. The problem is they are allready picking and choosing what to do runs of with the Timberline, Ultralight stuff, etc. I am sure it is on their radar, but I would rather them keep the quality control than just put stuff out as quick as they can.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of things are in the works at Kifaru, but everything gets tested, re tested and tested again before anything goes on the market.

I will keep everyone posted if something new is coming to the market.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of things are in the works at Kifaru, but everything gets tested, re tested and tested again before anything goes on the market.

I will keep everyone posted if something new is coming to the market.

That's prolly short for.......as soon as I get my T2 it will change and get better huh?

cmeier117

WKR
That's prolly short for.......as soon as I get my T2 it will change and get better huh?

I always think the same thing... But the best part about the pack is the suspension and other things that change are mainly pockets and such. I am curious as well.

Mike7

WKR
I think the beauty of the Timberline is that it is functional as a day pack and load hauler without any additional pockets/packs, except pockets on the hip belt as needed for GPS/Rangefinder/etc. and binoculars mounted to shoulder straps. So I got the standard lid, and at this point plan on putting all of my non-essentials in a large light weight nylon bag in the main compartment...then if needed for a stalk, I can drop this bag of non-essentials, tighten the pack's cinch straps, and I already have a comfortable light weight day pack on with everything I need and already right where I want it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The durability of a 6500 and the Timberline are tops in the Industry, but I would say a slight advantage would go to the 6500. This has a lot to do with the 3-4 pound increase from MR in pack weight, but the slight increase in durability is hard to justify for me at 4 lbs.
My T1 packed out 19 animals last year and still looks like new (except the blood), so I don't think durability with long term heavy use should be an issue with either company.

cmeier117

WKR
The durability of a 6500 and the Timberline are tops in the Industry, but I would say a slight advantage would go to the 6500. This has a lot to do with the 3-4 pound increase from MR in pack weight, but the slight increase in durability is hard to justify for me at 4 lbs.
My T1 packed out 19 animals last year and still looks like new (except the blood), so I don't think durability with long term heavy use should be an issue with either company.

19 Animals is a lifetime for normal guys.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
How does the timberline work for packing out quarters? Talking whole moose and elk quarters? Or is there a batter option for that similar to the MR crew cab?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, you can do it with the Tline, but the Duplex frame and Cargo Panel would be what you're looking for.

The difference between the Duplex and Nice is the suspension system and frame length. The Nice will fit a guy with a 18 inch torso or less, but the Duplex will fit a guy with 16-23 inch torso (and still get shoulder lift).

In the photo my partner has the CC and I have the Duplex and Cargo Panel. I was able to strap the goat in vertical and get a great amount of shoulder lift with this load. This isn't the greatest example in the world, but the Duplex is an all around better suspension if you want the weight off your shoulders.
IMG_3771.jpg

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Duplex suspension is the first to give me shoulder lift at 6'5". I hate carrying over 100lbs on my shoulders, and the Duplex was perfect for that.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I need to spend alot of time on the kifaru site but is that the same suspension / frame that is on the timberline? I like being able to switch packs within the same frame. Or is there a whole other line that I need to look into? Would love the weight savings of the timberline.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is a different frame than what the Tline uses.

The Duplex and EMR frame is what you'll want to look at on the Kifaru site.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Timberline has a dual stay frame and the Duplex has a frame sheet, so the Timberline is an all in one pack, but the cargo panel does connect to it without issue.

Give me a call if you want me to explain things a little better. The options with Kifaru are endless and it can get confusing if you don't know what you're looking at.

720-937-1418

Both are great packs. The Mystery Ranch is the most bomb Proof pack on the market, but when I used the Kifaru, with loads up to 130 lbs on a couple trips last year, it worked great; there were no failures. I use a Mystery ranch 8500 (custom made) for my big trips, but I was very impressed with the New Kifaru. It is the strongest and "best" light weight pack on the market. It will not replace my MR NICE 8500 or a Barney's Pinnacle, but for most hunters, it will work perfectly. There are lots of options and since Aron Snyder did much of the design work, I know there was a lot of thought put into the pack. Aron is a hunting machine.