Timberline vs. 6500

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having some trouble deciding between the Kifaru Timberline and the MR 6500. My buddies are die hard MR fans and think there is no other pack able to haul the loads like an MR. I like the weight savings of the Timberline, but have done the lightweight pack thing before and have been disspointed. I've read allot of reviews on both and I'm just looking for some more insight from those who have worn or had experience with both.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those die hard MR guys have probably never had a Kifaru Duplex Frame and Suspension. Aside fro
Barney's pack I personally don't think anything hauls heavy loads better. I have had the crew cab and 6500. Both are well built and durable, but both are very heavy to start with. I now have my Duplex system along with the Timberline T1 and T2. Both Timberlines outperform my MR experience. Comfort, organizationally, weight and capability all go to Kifaru. I bet you show up with a Timberline, your buddies will want to try it out and they soon will want one. As always, just my opinion after trying just about every known quality hunting back pack over the last ten years.

Mike7

WKR
I think you will particularly appreciate the Kifaru with the adjustable stay heights if you are 5'10" or taller. I am just over 6 ft tall and have the 26" stays on my T2...and wouldn't want them any shorter for carrying a heavy load.

cmeier117

WKR
I am sure Aron will be on here shortly and give his input. But I can tell you that the timberline 2 (which I own) hauls 120lbs better than I thought 120lbs could ever be carried. The UL stays in that thing are so rigid they don't even budge with the weight in that thing. The Kifaru also has a contoured waist belt with large lumbar pad made out of a dense foam and these two things make a very comfortable heavy load bearing pack. The waist belt wraps around your hips so well their are no pressure points or hot spots to speak of. Both packs are top in their class but Kifaru saves you 4lbs and a better suspension IMHO.

I agree with RosinBag.. You may convert your friends.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have never owned a Mistery Ranch pack. But I train/hike with a friend that has a 6500 and a Crew Cab. I have logged quite a few miles with the 6500. The pack is very well made and can handle the load easily(45 to 60#). The weight is the number one complaint I have, its heavy. Second, its really stiff to me.

I used a Kifaru Navigator last season and I loved it. So I order a timberline 2. It has the same suspension system plus a little more padding. I received it Monday, heading out wolf hunting this weekend to test it out:)

I would suggest if you can try them both. You can't go wrong with either. But to me Kifaru is much more comfortable with heavy loads.

Ryan

phil

FNG
MR and Kifaru are the ultimate quality packs. I have put a lot of miles with 45lbs. on a MR longbow and Kifaru ku 2200. I give the comfort advantage to the Kifaru. phil

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be following this one. i have a 6500 and have NO complaints, but i know theres another world out there ;)... always open to new gear!

Wolfmen

FNG
As Kifaru die hard fans and never own MR, I cannot said which one is better but I can said I love Kifaru.
My suggestion, you better try them both (if you have chance)before you put the trigger.
I also read a lot of Kifaru vs MR comparison review. Some said K good , some said MR good. I believe different people come out different result,depends on your body shape and preference. As crittergttr said "always open to new gear"

Tried both and I prefer Kifaru! More comfortable to me. I personally feel like the Kifaru packs are the most confortable packs on the planet. Try one and I bet you will agree

dotman

WKR
Since your buddies already have the MR order up a kifaru and put 100lbs in it and test it then do the same with your buddies MR. Kifaru has a 30 day return just don't get it dirty. This way you only have to pay for one andin the end you will have already paid for the one you'll want :)

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since your buddies already have the MR order up a kifaru and put 100lbs in it and test it then do the same with your buddies MR. Kifaru has a 30 day return just don't get it dirty. This way you only have to pay for one andin the end you will have already paid for the one you'll want :)

Spot on ^!

Lawnboi

WKR
This seems to be the biggest debate iv seen in picking out a pack. **** hint hint, maybe you should do a video review of both, comparing both Aron

I debated the same 2 packs when i was looking. I went with the T1, cant say anything but good things about it so far. Although i have never seen a MR pack, i like the 4lbs i saved :)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't pick the T1, but ended up with the Longhunter Guide. I picked Kifaru over MR for several reasons:

1. I am 6'5" and the Nice Frame doesn't lift the same way that the 26" stays on the EMR/Longhunter Duplex frame do. When I tried on the NICE frame it just wasn't comfortable for that reason. For tall guys the extra load lift provided is great.
2. I sweat a lot, and the Kifaru breathes much better because the contact points on the back all have air flow that runs through. MR has thick padding all the way up the back and my whole back would be soaked by the time I was done hiking.
3. The EMR frame has the ability to essentially become the same hauling rig as the Crew Cab with the cargo panel, and even more versatility.
4. MR doesn't match the curvature of my back, based on the measurements I gave Kifaru, straight out of the box this thing fit me perfectly. I have gotten some heavy loads in it up the mountain and I am very satisfied.

If I have all of my information correct, the suspension on the Timberline is the same as that of the Longhunter, but the longhunter bag can be removed from the frame. So most of what I posted above applies.

To muddy the water a bit though, I never fell in love with any of the top lids that Kifaru offered. So I got the MR Daypack lid, and really like it so far. It fits really pretty well, and I was able to do it with buckles that I had here.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sreekers, the duplex suspension is not the same as the Timberlines suspension. If I remember correctly the Timberline has the wrap tech suspension. I would prefer the Duplex with a Timberline bag and get the best of the best for heavy loads. The biggest difference between them is the lack of any frame sheet in the Timberline, which is where a lot of the weight savings come in. The stays are the same and waist belts very similar. The top bag is always a tough call. I have been running the XTL lid which works the best of the three options for me. Also, the longhunter will remove from the duplex frame and suspension rather easily. If you have a grab it or cargo panel, you can turn that system into a straight pack mule for the heavy loads.

OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted.

Benny

FNG
How long have the Timberline packs been in the publics hands? Will this be the first full hunting season of them really being out or were there a bunch that shipped last year?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
RosinBag-The Cargo Panel and Grab are in the mail, ha. I have argued the Cargo Panel with EMR frame is more versatile than the Crew Cab simply because you can change it more.

It also appears that the Wrap Tech suspension doesn't adjust on lower back as much based on some of the pictures on the Kifaru website. 2lbs is a lot to cut out by pulling the frame sheet.

I would love to have a timberline bag to put on my EMR frame though.