Timberline

Soutie

FNG
I like having the mid long on the lid with a Kif strap kept inside. It's where I keep all the essentials in case I have to dump the pack for a stalk. Just unclip it to go over the shoulder, in case you get far from the pack or take a while finding it in the dark after the kill....not that that's ever happened to me..:rolleyes:

I was screwing around with lid options today to figure out some combos that would work best.

The best option to go with the standard flat lid (for me anyway) would be the "500 Mid Long". The 500 claymore would be my second choice, but both work great. I know several people have used the claymore already, but I have not seen the Mid mentioned yet.

http://www.kifaru.net/midLP_popup.html

I've got a T2 with a Claymore lid and 2 medium belt pockets. Thats all the pockets I'll need. I can fit 10 days worth of gear into the T2 no problem. I will be splitting my trip into two 5 day bivy hunts for colorado this year so I'll easily have enough room. I toyed around with getting a T1, but the T2 was a gift so I don't know how well that would go over trading it in...

B

bearguide

so what about the ku5200, have you guys moved on to other packs/ like timberline series/ or is the light weight ku5200 pack any good

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the KU packs for scouting and backpacking, but several guys use them for everything. The KU 5200 is the lightest pack ever built that can haul 80+ pound loads comfortably.

The KU5200 is 2lbs 13oz's, so you are going to be saving an average of 5 lbs when compared to other packs of that size...pretty hard to beat that when you're counting every ounce.

What pack are you using bearguide? You ever try a Kifaru?

The KU packs are sweet! Amazing light weight yet can carry heavy loads. You have to hold on in your hand and then carry weight in it to truly be amazed at the pack!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've only carried my wife's KU short times, but ordering up some longer stays to use it more one solo scouting trips and what not. She packed around 60+ pounds out in it last year with no issues. I wouldn't want to do triple digits in it for long distances, but for scouting or shared camp endeavors they are extremely hard to beat given what they weigh.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I got the T3 in the mail last night! Wow is all I can say again. I know am able to function with 3 packs. I have the T1 &T3, and I kept a badlands 2200 in case I ever have someone with who needs a pack. I trimmed from 9 packs to 3, and have no loss of function, and have lightened the pack weight while inreasing the payload and comfort! Gotta like it!