Time at full draw

rclouse79

WKR
I am interested to hear how many people practice staying at full draw, and how long you can hold while still being able to execute a shot at the end. I just went out and gave it a try after listening to a podcast and was not impressed with my 36 second effort. Something to work on over the next month.

Haven't done it in a while, use to be able to hold past 2 minutes if I needed.

My holding weight is generally 16ish pounds.

Shooting a stick bow really helps you.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Haven't done it in a while, use to be able to hold past 2 minutes if I needed.

My holding weight is generally 16ish pounds.

Shooting a stick bow really helps you.
I bet I could have held over a minute if there was a gun to my head, but I wouldn’t have put any money on an accurate shot at that point. Two minutes with still being to pull off a decent shot would be a nice skill to have during archery elk season.

I bet I could have held over a minute if there was a gun to my head, but I wouldn’t have put any money on an accurate shot at that point. Two minutes with still being to pull off a decent shot would be a nice skill to have during archery elk season.

We use to practice it. Had someone watching a clock.

Also practiced the I lost my release, need to shoot with fingers....
I don't recommend that one.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I figured out by accident that I can rest the lower cam on my thigh at full draw while kneeling and waiting for an elk to turn. You can get away with that movement of your bow hand down and back up without having to let down. It’s the holding at anchor that gets tough. Just move slowly, and wear a camo glove on the bow hand.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I figured out by accident that I can rest the lower cam on my thigh at full draw while kneeling and waiting for an elk to turn. You can get away with that movement of your bow hand down and back up without having to let down. It’s the holding at anchor that gets tough. Just move slowly, and wear a camo glove on the bow hand.
That is interesting. They actually mentioned that on the podcast I listened to. Maybe I will have to give it a try.

Lately I've been ending my shooting sessions with a timed one minute hold at full draw from various positions. I have to stay very focused toward the end so I don't let myself creep forward. It's challenging but doable.

Zac

WKR
No one is better at this than the great Josh Bowmar, Mcarthy is pretty good as well.

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
If shooting a wrist release, I have found I can also tuck my thumb behind my neck and get some more "comfortable hold" time.

This is one of the regular exercises at the 3d range when practicing, hold 45 sec or a minute then shoot. Adds some fun to the regular course especially when shooting with buddies.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to do 2 min holds and shoot from 60 yards. But now I mostly do a "hold and then shoot" routine with a couple arrows and 1 min holds for each in succession, still at 60 yards.

This is exactly what I was going to say. It makes a huge difference. I have held for several minutes waiting for the animal to turn this way, and when I finally raise my arm I'm not shakey at all.

phorizt

FNG
I havent timed myself but I made a resistance band trainer to help w this. I built a handle in the shape of a bow handle/riser w attachments for two sets of resistance bands; one for 70 pound bands for drawing and holding at full draw, and the other band is a 20 pound band that I hold one end of under my foot on the floor and the other end is attached to the bottom of the handle. So i practice holding that at full draw with 70 pounds of resistance on the draw and 20 pounds of resistance pulling down toward the floor.

I keep it in my office and use it a few times per week when I have a few minutes free. After holding 70 pounds back for long periods, 15-20 pounds w a compound feels like nothing. For me, holding the weight of the bow up w my left arm is much more of a challenge than holding back at full draw w my right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
A trick I learned is if I'm at anchor and the shot doesn't materialize within my shot time I'll pull my release hand away from my face and hold it there. I can hold that far longer than staying at anchor. Once the shot looks like it is going to work again I go through my final anchor sequence and set up for the shot. You can actually do it multiple times and still get a good shot off if you practice. Same goes for shooting a rifle (or any sighted firearm). If you stay in the scope/sights too long your eye/mind will wander and you can get a bad shot. Come out of the scope slightly if you're in too long then come back in and re-focus.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Between putting the thumb of my release hand behind my neck and dropping my bow arm I am up over a minute pretty easy. I imagine a little elk adrenaline would allow for a bit longer.

Rfranke

FNG
I set a timer for my watch at 1:00 min. Then when it goes off, I take a shot as part of my summer shooting practice. For me, it helps not seeing the clock and being able to count down with it. After a while you can adjust the timer for longer or shorter holds.

OR Archer

WKR
This is exactly what I was going to say. It makes a huge difference. I have held for several minutes waiting for the animal to turn this way, and when I finally raise my arm I'm not shakey at all.
I’ve known people who have done this and got their pants wrapped up in there cam because they relaxed a little too much 😂

S.Clancy

WKR
Depends on the range, over a minute no big deal 40 and under. I would argue almost all your long holds are going to be 40 and under