Time for a new archery target

PennDude

FNG
I’ve worn out my shooting bag and it’s time to replace it with something. I’m wanting a rather large target so I can practice out to 80 yards without losing arrows. Ideally I’d want a couple of Curlex wood fiber archery bales, but shipping for two is $270, which would bring the total to $370. That’s just too much money for me. What are my best options for a large and durable target? I’m looking at Bulldog brand too. They seem to be reasonably priced for their size.

Bl704

WKR
Build a larger backstop, but suspend the target in front. I have about a 4'x4' 2x8 frame that I restock or te organize a few times a year with cardboard (recycle the old). I use a rinehart 18x1 or a field ball hung in front... I simply throw a tarp over it... I didn't anchor it in the ground as I like to alter my angles and lanes,but I've seen others do something similar with 4x4 set in the ground and a roof to cover.

But even a bag will last longer if you hang it.
36e8b5f1ee11d29728b2ffd122100f52.jpg

Geewhiz

WKR
If you happen to have access to some old carpet I made this last year and it worked great. I cut pieces 4x4 and then hung them from one edge. I think in total I had about 16 or so sheets so it takes a fair bit of square footage but it worked great and stops arrows and is hard to miss.

Attachments

• 053A9D72-0774-44FF-93A2-FDEE1A816065.jpeg
    053A9D72-0774-44FF-93A2-FDEE1A816065.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 81
OP
P

PennDude

FNG
If you happen to have access to some old carpet I made this last year and it worked great. I cut pieces 4x4 and then hung them from one edge. I think in total I had about 16 or so sheets so it takes a fair bit of square footage but it worked great and stops arrows and is hard to miss.
That whole elk target setup gave me a good chuckle! Very creative.

My plan is to build a roof with a pallet base so I can move it around with my tractor pallet forks.

I have a bulldog DoubleDog FF Archery Target. Terrific out to 60 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
You know those outdoor rubber mats you see in front of stores, businesses, garages, etc...

My buddy uses those behind his targets, and they catch the arrows very well, with minimal damage. Those mats hold up good outside. He only tacks up the top two corners, and leave the bottom flapping. He says otherwise the arrows just flew right threw em. He hangs them long ways so he can secure the mats a good bit higher then where the arrows may hit. He says if the arrows hit the mat to close to where it is secured then the arrows just fly through it. The arrow has to hit the mat in a section where the mat is free to move with the arrow. He says that's what helps the mat catch the arrows. This was his science, through trial an error. Or maybe watching a few videos put him on the right track. I built something very similar using indoor carpet, and it worked, but it fell apart pretty quick out in the weather.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
I have a couple bulldog targets. The warranty on the cover is great. Shoot it out, pay shipping and they send you a new cover. A few minutes with a staple gun and you have a brand new target.

Sooting in my garage at 10 feet I get about 6" of penetration and the arrows pull easy. The only down side is no broadheads so you will need a separate target for those but if you mostly shoot field points they are great.

Sled

WKR
get creative and build a frame to skin with silt fence or some kind of durable fabric. then all you have ot do is find a shipping/receiving office and take all their seran wrap leavings. stuff it in there tight and keep adding to it yearly. it may leave some plastic on your practice arrows but it'll be the easiest pulling target you've ever had. also it doesn't hold the moisture like some other the other home jobs out there. the price is right too.

good luck

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
Directly from the website. I got the Doghouse FP Plus Series for $109.94 shipped. After I clicked the “buy” button they offered me an additional target for $85, but that offer was only good for 5 minutes. If you order, I’d have a friend lined up who also wants a target. Because why on earth would I need two lifetime warranty targets? You can get coupon codes fairly easily on their website. Give that a shot or try the code “15FORYA” for $15 off. Worked for me.

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
I know you already purchased, but I picked up a matrix. Thing is amazing

TBHasler

WKR
Matrix, Blob, 365 in that order for quality of targets and costs. Buy one of these and don’t worry about targets for a number of years - like 3 or 4 yrs.