Time for new sleep system. Quilt+Bivvy+Floorless shelter?

*zap*

WKR
The self inflating pads have foam inside that is laminated to the top and bottom......they can delaminate(get a huge bulge)if left inflated for long periods of time, if you get bug spray/sunscreen on them, leave in the sun and etc.....therm-a-rest has a list of things...

The si pads weigh more and are not noisy to roll around on. My basecamp is R6 but weighs 3.4 pounds. That is a large size/rectangular.

So far here is what I'm thinking,

Quilt- So I got a quote for a El Coyote quilt. I think I will head that direction for the quilt.

Pad- I'm going to upgrade my R-value with a Xtherm pad.

Shelter- I'm thinking the Guardian or Cimarron SO shelter with a stove jack.

Bivy- I'm thinking OR bivy sack or a Bora bivy for the unexpected weather.

I think with total weight system I'm around the 5.5lb range. Add 2lbs with the medium stove.

My current bag and tent alone is 10lb range. I believe I wont have any issues with space now.

Thanks for all the feedback as usual.
Another piece of gear I've added to the stable this year is the SO Matty McMatt face. It will be replacing my tyvek ground sheet for my pad at night and will become my glassing pad during the day. It's shocking how miserable I get sitting directly on cold ground.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
So far here is what I'm thinking,

Quilt- So I got a quote for a El Coyote quilt. I think I will head that direction for the quilt.

Pad- I'm going to upgrade my R-value with a Xtherm pad.

Shelter- I'm thinking the Guardian or Cimarron SO shelter with a stove jack.

Bivy- I'm thinking OR bivy sack or a Bora bivy for the unexpected weather.

I think with total weight system I'm around the 5.5lb range. Add 2lbs with the medium stove.

My current bag and tent alone is 10lb range. I believe I wont have any issues with space now.

Thanks for all the feedback as usual.

I started out with an OR alpine bivy sack and hated it as it didn't have a side zip entry. Wiggling into it was a pain. If you go this route, make sure you get one of the newer generation that has a side zip.

Currently have a SO cimarron and I run a Borah bivy bag with UGQ quilt on a Nemo Tensor pad. Since condensation can develop inside the bivy, I actually only will use the bivy inside the SO if bugs are an issue (which only really happens when warm so no condensation issues). If you go the Borah bivy route, you can also get one made with a mesh strip down the middle that will help with condensation issues.

Also, if there is rain/dew, the standard borah bivy is not going to cut it for protection. I used it the other night without a tarp or teepee overhead and ended up with a pretty soaked quilt in the morning. The moisture was a combination of dew and interior condensation. Still had enough loft to keep me warm, but then again it wasn't freezing cold out.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I started out with an OR alpine bivy sack and hated it as it didn't have a side zip entry. Wiggling into it was a pain. If you go this route, make sure you get one of the newer generation that has a side zip.

Currently have a SO cimarron and I run a Borah bivy bag with UGQ quilt on a Nemo Tensor pad. Since condensation can develop inside the bivy, I actually only will use the bivy inside the SO if bugs are an issue (which only really happens when warm so no condensation issues). If you go the Borah bivy route, you can also get one made with a mesh strip down the middle that will help with condensation issues.

Also, if there is rain/dew, the standard borah bivy is not going to cut it for protection. I used it the other night without a tarp or teepee overhead and ended up with a pretty soaked quilt in the morning. The moisture was a combination of dew and interior condensation. Still had enough loft to keep me warm, but then again it wasn't freezing cold out.
Thanks. I only plan to use the bivy when needed. i.e. An unexpected snow storm or caught out in a bad storm or I just cant get warm.

Are you putting down Tyvek under the your pad? or in the SO shelter?

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I only plan to use the bivy when needed. i.e. An unexpected snow storm or caught out in a bad storm or I just cant get warm.

Ya, I use the SO ground sheet. It's sized larger than my pad, which I like for floorless camping. And I have no concerns of things poking through. I'm sure if you cut your own piece of tyvek it would be lighter, but the SO one is only $12.

you have a shelter

you have a pad and bag

you have a heat source

a poncho will fix any other what ifs, and all other uses youll face, with minimal volume/weight penalty as one item. meat tarp, shelter, rain gear, ground sheet...........

honest question...

are you packing fears?

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
you have a shelter

you have a pad and bag

you have a heat source

a poncho will fix any other what ifs, and all other uses youll face, with minimal volume/weight penalty as one item. meat tarp, shelter, rain gear, ground sheet...........

honest question...

are you packing fears?
Honest answer. What the F*** are you talking about?

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, I use the SO ground sheet. It's sized larger than my pad, which I like for floorless camping. And I have no concerns of things poking through. I'm sure if you cut your own piece of tyvek it would be lighter, but the SO one is only $12.

Sounds like a good buy to me. Thanks

Honest answer. What the F*** are you talking about?

it seems redundant to me to want a bivy and ground sheet when you are already covered from the elements and elevated off the ground and have heat available. hence why i recommended a poncho to cover any more what ifs after shelter, heat and sleep.

along the lines of "are you packing your fears"? if the answer is creature comforts, then so be it. if the question was "my setup is bulky and heavy", changing out 5 items with 10 items to shave 2# and eat up volume, seems backwards.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
it seems redundant to me to want a bivy and ground sheet when you are already covered from the elements and elevated off the ground and have heat available. hence why i recommended a poncho to cover any more what ifs after shelter, heat and sleep.

along the lines of "are you packing your fears"? if the answer is creature comforts, then so be it. if the question was "my setup is bulky and heavy", changing out 5 items with 10 items to shave 2# and eat up volume, seems backwards.

Respectfully I do not agree. The Bivy would be used only if needed. I'd just be using sheet/pad and quilt under the SO shelter. Not worried about any bugs or critters. I think the 18oz is worth the justification and sleep is biggest factor in keeping me out longer.

Your numbers are a little skewed. I'm changing out two items and adding 2 items (Bivy and ground sheet). My volume would be cut nearly in half, and weight would be cut over half.

Stove will stay in truck unless I need it.

It will feel good to have my gear complete.

I'm not a big fan of ponchos. I know this may not be reasonable for you but they are just too cumbersome for me.

Respectfully I do not agree. The Bivy would be used only if needed. I'd just be using sheet/pad and quilt under the SO shelter. Not worried about any bugs or critters. I think the 18oz is worth the justification and sleep is biggest factor in keeping me out longer.

Your numbers are a little skewed. I'm changing out two items and adding 2 items (Bivy and ground sheet). My volume would be cut nearly in half, and weight would be cut over half.

Stove will stay in truck unless I need it.

It will feel good to have my gear complete.

I'm not a big fan of ponchos. I know this may not be reasonable for you but they are just too cumbersome for me.
i agree with that. as someone here stated, gear is intimate. sorry for the allegory, was to drive a point in for the difference of packing for comfort or packing for fear.

i see it all too much that to stay out 2+ days, you need 3500+cu in bag or be ultraminimalist in their approach.

if its cut weight, and volume, and its more than bare minimum, good on you. if bugs aint a problem, and youre looking for quick pitch weather shelter, find what works for you

Shelter 1 - Borah Tarp
Shelter 2 - Kifaru Sawtooth w/stove

Sleep System
Borah Bivy
BA AXL Insulated Wide/Long
Quilt- El Coyote 15* XX-Wide/Long
Exped pillow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the set up. I believe I will rock the cimarron for the extra room. What is the ground mat under the bivy?
Cheap survival "blanket" from Walmart.
A Cimarron would be awesome. I also have a kifaru tut and it's great solo but just a little more than I usually want to pack