Time to Burn Some CA points

Just got back from Idaho gen tag and like last year in WY got my arse kicked. So its time to maybe draw a better tag and stay home or near home, starting research ad scouting now!. Sitting on 13 points in ca and should be able to draw some x zones been eyeing x5b and x5a for quite some time wanted anyone opinions on the subject. Been on a run of bad luck and def don't want to throw away 13 points without doing my research. will be at it solo or with my 12 year old and we have no problem backpacking in and hiking actually prefer it. thnx in advance fellas. Dot want any honey holes just opinions on zones

Calbuck

WKR
I’d set your sights on X5b until you draw it..the G hunts, I don’t think you’re there points-wise. Idaho kicked my butt too, we got one little 3 point. Watched a bunch of kids shoot up the only little herd of does in the area..kinda sad. No deer there and F n G still giving out doe tags.

Im with Cal, I’d probably hold out for x5b. Neither of those units really require backpacking but there’s plenty of space to get away from the roads. I’d imagine with so few tags issued, that hunter pressure wouldn’t be much of an issue though.

amassi

WKR
Looks like your in no man's land
Too many points to burn for most x zones not enough for a muzzy hunt.
I'd wait until your kids an adult (16,18?)and party up on a father son x hunt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I hunted a popular X zone and there were not that many deer. Had we not done a week of scouting it would have been a really tough hunt.

if you do pick an X zone, make sure you have a week to scout, during or after the archery season so you can see where the bucks end up. I think you will find a lot of the X zones are similar to the worst general hunts in Idaho and Wyoming...most guys are shooting forkies and very happy to do so.

amassi

WKR
I hunted a popular X zone and there were not that many deer. Had we not done a week of scouting it would have been a really tough hunt.

if you do pick an X zone, make sure you have a week to scout, during or after the archery season so you can see where the bucks end up. I think you will find a lot of the X zones are similar to the worst general hunts in Idaho and Wyoming...most guys are shooting forkies and very happy to do so.
This year?
80 degrees and a full moon make October hunts difficult over there.

This year?
80 degrees and a full moon make October hunts difficult over there.

last year. We killed on opener but I only found that bachelor herd and one or two small bucks in a week of hard scouting.

Calbuck

WKR
I can attest to Idaho (some areas) general hunt not even comparing to CA x zones..we saw 2 bucks (killed one) and about 15 does and fawns in two different zones up there. Terrible. X zones here are better than that if you do your homework. X5b is IMO your best and only bet

OP
B
Man agree fellas. I actually was mistaken for some reason I read last year it drew to 13 but just read in 2020 took I think almost 17 so will wait. I am in no mans land in WY too have 10 too many for G and don't want to deal with the resident gen crowd and have hunted elk in the southern area of G and very few deer last 6 years still see a smoker now and again but sad. Ill be holding out for both I guess but def need to burn WY soon as hope to be a resident there in 3-5.

amassi

WKR
Man agree fellas. I actually was mistaken for some reason I read last year it drew to 13 but just read in 2020 took I think almost 17 so will wait. I am in no mans land in WY too have 10 too many for G and don't want to deal with the resident gen crowd and have hunted elk in the southern area of G and very few deer last 6 years still see a smoker now and again but sad. Ill be holding out for both I guess but def need to burn WY soon as hope to be a resident there in 3-5.
Take a buddy and hunt wy in a year or 2 depending on winters

Calbuck

WKR
I hunted X4 last year and we saw very few deer period. I live in the zone and know it extremely well. Same conditions last year. The specialty hunts are a crapshoot due to weather but at least there aren’t many hunters out. If I had a pile of points here I’d be all in on X5b and scout like a fiend. And hope for some early rain. Funny thing, the deer are around but they hunker down like you wouldn’t believe when the woods fill up with people. Or head to private ground. They’re smart!

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I can attest to Idaho (some areas) general hunt not even comparing to CA x zones..we saw 2 bucks (killed one) and about 15 does and fawns in two different zones up there. Terrible. X zones here are better than that if you do your homework. X5b is IMO your best and only bet
I hunted in central Idaho for two weeks this year (units 39 and 43) and struggled to find deer as well and was amazed by the amount of people! Just curious, how many days did you hunt?

Azone

WKR
My memory is not fresh on what points it takes to draw what right now, but you should be able to draw some good archery hunts. I feel your pain though, sitting on 11 points for California myself and want to dump them asap. There’s a local hunt that I can spend the whole season hunting in between work, versus picking a week for a X zone hunt and praying for weather that I could draw every couple years. I want to do it next year but with the late dates in CO for 2021, I have 5 points I want to cash out back there so I’m still trying to figure out which state. I know some guys who went to 5B a few years back and they cleaned house, two weeks of scouting and a lot of boot tracks to do it though.

OP
B
I hunted in central Idaho for two weeks this year (units 39 and 43) and struggled to find deer as well and was amazed by the amount of people! Just curious, how many days did you hunt?
North fork area for 4 days and then 5 days in the areas east and west of Lemhi as I had one of those cow tags that needed to be killed 1 mile from irrigated pasture. never saw an elk and just a couple dink fork muledeer very disappointing and even had an opportunity to hunt to days in the river bottom on private

OP
B
A
My memory is not fresh on what points it takes to draw what right now, but you should be able to draw some good archery hunts. I feel your pain though, sitting on 11 points for California myself and want to dump them asap. There’s a local hunt that I can spend the whole season hunting in between work, versus picking a week for a X zone hunt and praying for weather that I could draw every couple years. I want to do it next year but with the late dates in CO for 2021, I have 5 points I want to cash out back there so I’m still trying to figure out which state. I know some guys who went to 5B a few years back and they cleaned house, two weeks of scouting and a lot of boot tracks to do it though.
I was thinking same thing in regards to the archery deal as I do like my bow

I kinda think you’re in no mans land. Granted I haven’t hunted x5b so take it with a grain of salt but I don’t think there’s an x zone I’d waste 13 points on. I’d probably be looking at muzzy hunts or a g hunt. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

OP
B
Thanks for all the input looks like archery or wait. May look toward burning my utah gen points or even my ca antelope points hav max on that too..geez all these points and no way to turn..