Time to look for greener pastures?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve hunted the same unit for antlerless elk for 6 years in a row, either 3rd or 4th season. I’ve killed 2 elk, missed another at 50 yards last year...twice. So I’m batting .333, should be .500. The other 3 years I haven’t seen an elk during the season. The harvest stats put the unit around 10% (taken with a grain of salt)

The problem with the area I hunt is that it’s a migration/transition unit and very weather dependent. If it storms during the season then there are elk, if it storms before the season then there are no elk as they’ve already moved through and if there are no storms, then again, no elk.

So my question is more for Colorado elk hunters that hunt rifles every year. If you were in my shoes would you be ok with this area or would you start hunting for a different gmu?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Is the tag available through the season, or does it get grabbed up before the fall?
Prior to 2020 it was always available. This year 2nd and 3rd seasons sold out but 4th season didn’t.

sndmn11

WKR
Prior to 2020 it was always available. This year 2nd and 3rd seasons sold out but 4th season didn’t.

That's tough because if you waited until the week of to see what the weather is doing, you wouldn't have much alternate choices of any quality from the leftover list. I'd grab an alternate 2nd choice or early leftover list license that you think might be more consistent, and then if there are leftovers for your current tag and the weather is right, go exchange it and pay the $25 fee.

NickyD

FNG
I’ve hunted the same unit for antlerless elk for 6 years in a row, either 3rd or 4th season. I’ve killed 2 elk, missed another at 50 yards last year...twice. So I’m batting .333, should be .500. The other 3 years I haven’t seen an elk during the season. The harvest stats put the unit around 10% (taken with a grain of salt)

The problem with the area I hunt is that it’s a migration/transition unit and very weather dependent. If it storms during the season then there are elk, if it storms before the season then there are no elk as they’ve already moved through and if there are no storms, then again, no elk.

So my question is more for Colorado elk hunters that hunt rifles every year. If you were in my shoes would you be ok with this area or would you start hunting for a different gmu?
I've only been hunting for 3 years and haven't gotten an elk so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but sounds like you're doing 3-5x better than the average person. Maybe you can scout before/after season so you can learn there patterns so you can act accordingly? If I was in your situation I'd definitely be sticking to the area to learn it well.

Another option is you can let me know where you're hunting and next year I can help you figure out the area some more 😄

My buddy is in a similar position. He has killed 2 elk in2 years but hasnt seen anything in 3 years after that and the success rate there is around 7%. I told him he should probably start looking at other units but refuses because he killed 2 elk in 2 years. If it were me I would start looking at other options and have that unit as a backup.

wyosam

WKR
I don’t know how big units in CO are, but are you positive that there aren’t portions of the unit holding elk before and after migration? I’d be surprised if there aren’t some pockets of elk to hunt. You’re way above average success, I’m not sure I’d make a change, unless you just want to. I’d focus on changing tactics/location within the unit to find elk when the weather is different than when you have had the most success.

Years ago I always hunted an area with a very similar story. When it was good, it was REALLY good, and that meant the snow was concentrating a bunch of elk in that area. We had success when those were the conditions. Over time, we found the pockets that held elk in different conditions. There were plenty of elk there, we just didn’t know where on the landscape to find them under different circumstances. After a few years, it was literally as easy as if there aren’t elk in place A, or in place B, then there are almost certainly going to be elk in place D. Then beetle kill came through and changed the patterns and it got tough again, and I moved across the state shortly after.

Getting to know an area intimately under different conditions is a huge benefit to consistent success. I love to hunt new country, but when approaching a meat crisis I tend to go where I already know the elk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk