Times getting short (my Model 70 remodel)

So I decided to “upgrade “ my Model 70 featherweight 30-06 for my November elk hunt. I started late September, no biggie right. New stock, new bases and rings , and new scope. No problem right?

So I ran into some problems with the new stock and had to order new bottom metal to replace the older 2 piece. I get the new stock on and realize that my current scope is pretty big and heavy so I order a new Meopta Optika 5 and Talley mid height bases/ rings. There was a slight delay in shipping the scope, but no problem, Talleys are in and ready to go. Scope gets here today and...... the bases aren’t high enough!. The front bell clears the barrel but the power adjustment knob hits the base. Ugh. Ordered new high Talleys plus a picatinny rail base and regular rings in case this next round of fixes doesn’t work.

Dammit! Hope it all works in the end and she shoots well.

Probably should have tackled this sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you grind the Talley rear flat to create power ring clearance? I’ve done that before

OP
C
Can you grind the Talley rear flat to create power ring clearance? I’ve done that before

Good thought. I’ll definitely keep that in mind if it comes to that.

I ordered enough stuff to outfit a gunsmith shop so hopefully I can get a combo to work. I think it will be a pic rail mounting system. What I think the issue is the scope is relatively short and with a long action l, the Talleys are spaced too far to make it work. Hoping the rail will work.

On a good note I like the Optika 5. Smaller and lighter than the 6 and seems to be good glass quality

OP
C
For once Amazon shipping was fast! Parts arrived and I came up with a winning set up first (today) try.

Used a Talley picatinny rail and Weaver high mounts and it fits! Anyone loooing at a Meopta Optika 5 keep in mind the rear eyepiece and zoom ring are bigger than most and expect to use a high set of rings.

I killed my first deer 33 years ago with this gun and hoping to kill my first elk with it this year.
8b8c48b647bc0b007122cd01952e69af.jpg

a16a0a5de8d62e387b580a26cb7ddfc1.jpg

Flapjack

FNG
I’m thinking of getting a bell and Carlson for my featherweight as well. Out of curiosity, how does the featherweight barrel fit into the B&C stock? I’m under the impression the stocks are made to fit “standard contour” barrels. Is there a big gap in the barrel channel with the thinner featherweight barrel?