Timney Elite Hunter Issue

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a Timney Elite Hunter to upgrade the trigger in my Remington M700 SPS 30-06. After installing it I noticed the bolt was difficult to manipulate and I was underwhelmed by the trigger pull. It measured about 3.5# but my stock 6# trigger felt better. I called Timney and they said that I have one of the “rare actions that is a tighter tolerance than most” so I need to remove the sear and file it down. I asked if they had an instructional video or anything to walk me through it but they said to just remove the pin by the sear and it’ll come apart. I’m not exactly confident that this will improve the trigger pull but will only reduce the friction on the bolt so I’m hesitant to take a file to it. I’m considering sending it back and getting a Trigger Tech or Geissele.

Does anyone have any experience with the Elite Hunter or have any recommendations?

What did you do with it? I'm only asking because I just installed a Timney trigger in a M70 and its giving me problems . Not sure if I should return it or contact Timney.

OP
J

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up returning it to Brownells for a refund and ordered a Trigger Tech Primary from them. The bolt is easier to manipulate but still a little stiffer than with my stock trigger. The trigger squeeze is 100x better though so I'm happy.

shmtastic

FNG
+1 for trigger tech. Unless there's no other option, that's all I'll be buying now. I have plenty of Timney's that will probably be replaced for trigger techs in the future.

+1 for trigger tech. Unless there's no other option, that's all I'll be buying now. I have plenty of Timney's that will probably be replaced for trigger techs in the future.
Agreed 100% , Triggertech is a superior trigger. I have two in 700's and three in AR platform. I even sold my Geissele's ..... Triggertech does not offer one for the Model 70 yet, so its Timney or factory.....
It's almost a wash ....

fatbacks

WKR
Shit, just ordered a Timney Elite Hunter for my 700 build. Really liked the Timney that came on my Fieldcraft. I guess we’ll see how this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I had an issue with Mark V triggers I ordered from Timney through Midway a few years ago. I had already modified them to make it work, but they were a bad fit. However, I was satisfied with the pulls enough to order another Mark V trigger recently. Received it, and they had completely changed the design and it was significantly improved. I called Timney, explainEd my frustration over the older triggers I had already modified. They drop shipped me two new triggers for nothing... sharing because this doesn’t happen often with companies these days.

Timney makes great triggers and the Elite Hunter is no exception. I like Triggertech a little better, but have 3 rifles with Timneys. They all get shot a lot with no problems.