Timney trigger for Browning X-Bolt?

OLI62

FNG
Anybody with a X-Bolt had a chance to try one of these triggers yet? Thoughts? Install easy or tough? Worth the upgrade? I've got a X-Bolt Pro Long Range coming and was thinking about installing one of these triggers. Thanks.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Check out MCARBO.COM
They have a slick spring replacement for the X-Bolt. For less than $20, you can have a very good trigger in your X-Bolt. It did wonders for mine.

Well shit, it's about time! Nice to see timney on board now for xbolt owners.

I actually like the factory trigger, it's just a bit heavy.

OP
OLI62

OLI62

FNG
Johnson will the Mcarbo spring let you get the pull weight below 2 lbs.?

My mcarbo spring upgrade feels every bit as good as my Timney in another rifle. It's the best $20 I've spent in a long time. I didn't like the original XBolt trigger at all.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
OLI62
Mine ended up at 2# 10oz, but if felt so much better.
I agree with JohnyRingo, the original trigger spring had me looking at all options including selling as I couldn't get it under 3# 14oz.

Just replaced my bolt speed trigger with the Timney trigger. Really easy and the trigger is awesome!!!!! Went from 3.5 to about 1.8 lbs.

Just replaced my bolt speed trigger with the Timney trigger. Really easy and the trigger is awesome!!!!! Went from 3.5 to about 1.8 lbs.

Are you able to compare it to say a Timney Model 510 in a R700?

Shooting my xbolt with mcarbo spring next to my R700 timney's, it still leaves a bit to be desired.

No I can't compare it to that model. But my Rem 700 has some trigger work from a previous owner and it's nice. Breaks about 3 lbs. The trigger on my sons Tikka breaks at 3 lbs. The Timney on the x bolt just feels better than both of them. Hard to describe, very solid, I guess like glass would be the best description. I turned it 1 full turn counterclockwise. Reduced pull to about 1.5 lbs. took about a quarter turn back clockwise and wow!!!!!! Feels like the trigger on the Blue Mountain Precision rifle I shot in CO. Was set at 2 lbs. The Timney felt just as good. Shot my bull with that rifle at 550 yards. Rifle was a friend of mines. Convinced me about good glass and triggers. Just don't see spending almost $10,000 on a gun!!!!!!!

I was looking at the spring change but saw the Timney on Midway and thought what the heck I'll try it. I'm very happy so far. Going to shoot some this weekend but playing around tonight with my snap capsI'm very happy. One thing is the bolt no longer locks. Not a big deal for me.

elkduds

WKR
Good to read some love for the Timneys. I have them on my Interarms Mark X Mauser and my Stevens 200 lightweight. While the rifles could not be more different, their triggers feel the same, crisp and consistent.

rodney482

WKR
Any stock modification needed?

No I can't compare it to that model. But my Rem 700 has some trigger work from a previous owner and it's nice. Breaks about 3 lbs. The trigger on my sons Tikka breaks at 3 lbs. The Timney on the x bolt just feels better than both of them. Hard to describe, very solid, I guess like glass would be the best description. I turned it 1 full turn counterclockwise. Reduced pull to about 1.5 lbs. took about a quarter turn back clockwise and wow!!!!!! Feels like the trigger on the Blue Mountain Precision rifle I shot in CO. Was set at 2 lbs. The Timney felt just as good. Shot my bull with that rifle at 550 yards. Rifle was a friend of mines. Convinced me about good glass and triggers. Just don't see spending almost $10,000 on a gun!!!!!!!

I was looking at the spring change but saw the Timney on Midway and thought what the heck I'll try it. I'm very happy so far. Going to shoot some this weekend but playing around tonight with my snap capsI'm very happy. One thing is the bolt no longer locks. Not a big deal for me.

One thing your safety will no longer block the bolt and your bolt can slide open. Not a big deal to me but something to know. Had a friends rifle bolt open while chasing an elk and lost a round

rodney482 an update. Just got a X Bolt long range max in 300 Win Mag. The Timney trigger will not fit in the front pin, it is too narrow. Trying to get it in showed scratching on the gun and marring on the trigger. Took some fine steel wool and smoothed it out, no go. Looks like this gun is just a bit wider at that point. Not sure if some light file work will solve the problem??? I have the MCarbo spring in and reduced the pull from a solid 4.5 to a solid 2.5 lbs. So I'm thinking to just leave it alone.

Put the Timney back in my X Bolt Speed fits perfect, just a touch snug but a solid easy fit.

rodney482

WKR
Thanks for the update

rodney482 an update. Just got a X Bolt long range max in 300 Win Mag. The Timney trigger will not fit in the front pin, it is too narrow. Trying to get it in showed scratching on the gun and marring on the trigger. Took some fine steel wool and smoothed it out, no go. Looks like this gun is just a bit wider at that point. Not sure if some light file work will solve the problem??? I have the MCarbo spring in and reduced the pull from a solid 4.5 to a solid 2.5 lbs. So I'm thinking to just leave it alone.

Put the Timney back in my X Bolt Speed fits perfect, just a touch snug but a solid easy fit.

Just did a search and found several complaints that you needed to grind the front of the trigger mount down. Hmmm appears to be just some rifles.

rodney482

WKR
Just did a search and found several complaints that you needed to grind the front of the trigger mount down. Hmmm appears to be just some rifles.
Same thing I found. I think it applies to the Mcmillan stock (which is what I have)