Tip: Dehydrated Wipes

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
So I was listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast from the other week, and @Mark at EXO and the guys randomly were talking about dehydrated wipes. My reaction:

pxmAbBs.jpg

So for the @ExoMtnGear guys or anyone who cares to go down this rabbit hole, these wipes already exists. No need to reinvent the wheel or come up with a DIY "system." Get these things from here:

2EVj3qU.jpg

And put them in the old orange waterproof match bottles like this:

zJzjjuG.jpg

Add water. Done. I keep a container in my kill kit, and a separate container in a dopp kit. I haven't weighed the difference vs wet wipes, because in my neck of the woods I can't even get the small packs of wet wipes thanks to the Covid nonsense. Hence looking for alternate solutions...

chindits

WKR
I’m kind of partial to just using a rag that l dampen in a stream and just rinse out afterwards. It’s lasted for years and I tuck it under the back of my hat to keep the sun off my neck and ears. I know it’s retro like a wash cloth. The young guys at work never heard of a wash cloth and bar of soap they all talk about some body wash stuff in a bottle. Weird.
IMG_2298.jpeg

taskswap

WKR
So do these things ever decompose like paper or are they like baby wipes that seem to litter hunter camps for years?
A few sellers say they do decompose but all the ones I've owned sure don't. I know because the dogs swiped one and buried it in the side yard and we found it a year later under a quarter inch of soil still basically intact. I think they're made of cotton fibers, so they don't break down easily.

I love them and use them myself. But I pack them out. I carry a gallon-size Ziploc just for this and other trash when I'm backpacking.

I take my DDW field wipes, open the lid, and let them dry out. When in camp, add water, and they are good to go. If my pack isn't too heavy I don't worry about it. Heavy pack ins I will do this. FWIW

Tried some of the wipe tabs recently - I'm sold. They take up very little room, and the brand I bought came with 2 vials that hold 10 tabs. Great solution.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using these for years. I love them. Great for booty clean up and a bunch of other stuff like cookware. Tons of misc applications and I keep them stashed everywhere with a little bottle of water (various backpacks, glove compartments, give them away for momma's purses with young children). They're advertised as biodegradable, but I image they'll take a few years to actually break down since they're really tough. You can dry and burn them if that's your thing. I buy a large box of them and spend an hour to pack them in these little baggies. You can fit 7 per bag and they weigh nothing. Grab them on the go. Do yourself a favor and just buy a big box from the start.