Tipi and Stove Limitations

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha agreed that’s why I hunt in September brother.
I hunt the Rockies here in Alberta from late August till the end of October.. Weather is THE biggest factor, in my mind.. Anything I can do to mitigate the effects helps my hunt..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
I
Definitely stove love here, some of a bit over the top IMO but glad you like them. Some my perspective probably comes from hunting a drier climate mostly in Idaho. Thanks. I’m not planning on checking this thread further.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the Rockies here in Alberta from late August till the end of October.. Weather is THE biggest factor, in my mind.. Anything I can do to mitigate the effects helps my hunt..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I’m in Colorado and Utah so for me wet weather isn’t a big deal like it is for you. Hardly ever even gets down to the 20’s in late September in the high country.

Yes but the stove will help provide the mental edge for both warmth some drying and plain comfort during the down time it is a very good item in areas where either wet cold or long nights or all of them.

Agree on this. I hunted for many years in the late season without a stove and adding one the past 4 years has main things more “pleasant”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't know anyone that keeps a Ti stove going all night. It's a game-changer when you are stuck in your tent with 12 hours of darkness. I will keep mine going for several hours before bed. Then light it again 30 minutes before I get up. Fire is great for warming you and your spirits up and cooking on. But in late October through December hunts your ass better have a good sleeping system.

Side note, I know lots of Hardcore backpackers. I don't see them doing lots of 5 nighters in October-December. Every night you spend out there in the cold, the better that little wood stove looks.

Last edited:
The biggest advantage to a packable hot-tent (tipi/stove, etc) to me was the level of stupidity I was willing to exhibit during the day with the knowledge that I'm going to be able to get warm and dry back at camp. Coming from a backpacker background, staying dry, avoiding the really nasty stuff certainly means you won't need a hot tent - but conversely it means you won't be willing to crawl on your belly through snow drifts up a nasty ravine to try and get a shot on that big bull. It was a huge mental shift for me, because when it's 4 degree's out, blowing snow, if you know you can come back to camp and get warm if necessary, you suit up and go. If you're worried about getting wet, you're not going to go after than next ridge, ford that next stream, etc. Maybe I'm just a wuss, but I've done hyothermia, I've done wet soggy snowy crawls, and knowing you can get warm and dry is artificial courage for me.

Sure, a stove is a luxury item. So is a spotting scope in many applications. Some hardcore backpackers do bar diets and cold soak their freeze dried, so in that regard is a cook stove is a luxury. By all means, socks are a luxury if you and your feet are tough enough.

Not trying to get on a soap box, but we all draw the line for comfort somewhere.

Ryan Avery makes a good point in that those late season nights are long and a significant amount of time is spent awake. To me it’s nice to be able to relax and listen to the fire pop at night. Not to mention, I don’t know very many guys that are sleeping all night in the backcountry without waking up at least once or twice. It’s not too hard in a cimmarron to lean over, throw a few sticks and piece of pyro putty in the stove, and get a fire going. If you do it right you can damp it down and keep it crackling for awhile.

reaper

WKR
A very common theme that I have noticed with stove opinions is that those who have used them seem to love them and those who haven't tried them question the justification. I'm convinced that they are worth a try and will doing so for any cold weather hunts I have this year.
It sure change my way of hunting and camping,really worth a try,ice fishing on a lake with high winds...this is paradise.
f40d9eb992c7aff7d4b86d6fd897a0a7.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

T28w

WKR
I know the op is no longer viewing but I think one thing he was getting at is that your sleep system is really not changing by adding the stove If conditions call for a zero degree bag, having a stove doesn’t mean u should try and get by with a 15 degree bag banking that the stove is going to make up the difference.

I know the op is no longer viewing but I think one thing he was getting at is that your sleep system is really not changing by adding the stove If conditions call for a zero degree bag, having a stove doesn’t mean u should try and get by with a 15 degree bag banking that the stove is going to make up the difference.
I’m not really sure what he was trying to get at. He asked if anyone agreed or disagreed and didn’t like the results. Nice to see an open mind about a thread he started while asking for opinions.

T28w

WKR
I think he didn’t understand why everyone who has one loves it when u still have to carry everything else plus the weight of the stove. It doesn’t eliminate any weight in your sleep set up
If that wasn’t along the thought process, then I don’t know.

Poser

WKR
I use one hunting in November. I don’t keep it going all night and don’t need it all night. That being said, going to bed with a toasty tent and warm body makes a huge difference. Wake up, get the fire going and wait until the tent warms up to get up and piss, have breakfast etc. Hit cold, dark air already warm and comfortable. It’s huge for the psychology of enduring 3rd rifle season.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
On the flip side of the question, it's very hard to go back after having a hot tent. Last November I went on an overnighter. I wanted to go fast and light. Man, it sucked, it wasn't that I was cold in the bag. It was knowing I had to get out of that sucker and get going. So maybe the hot tent is making me soft. :)

I keep going back and forth about getting a hot tent. I think I will eventually but there are a few hang ups I keep coming back to in the decision-making process: 1. Packing a saw 2. choosing a camp with the space to pitch a tipi. 3. finding a camp with a good source of firewood nearby. 3. the extra weight/pack space of a hot tent, better and more efficient to carry that heat weight in down rather than nylon and titanium.

The benefits of a hot tent seem to be primarily psychological

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried to burn some small pieces of coal to keep the burn overnight a bit longer? I'm talking just a piece or two? Coal burns abit hotter and longer than wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk