Tipi help

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
DIY Experts,

I have a question on a DIY SilPoly Tipi. How are you guys completing the top of your tipi? It seems very difficult to have 8 panels sewn together at the apex, also how are you attaching the dyneema or cordura for center pole reinforcement? I was thinking about cutting the top 2-4 inches of each panel and then attaching a cordura cone...?

WoodBow

WKR
Yep you are thinking the right route. I made a 1000d cordura cone and cut off the top of the ripstop panels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
do you believe one layer of 100d is enough? or would you go down to 500d? also is cordura water resistant or did you treat it with silicone afterwards?

WoodBow

WKR
1000d not 100d. 500 would probably be fine. I made mine dual layered. Minimal weight added to make it bomb proof. I just sprayed some silicone on the seam.

Ehiggins

WKR
I made a form out of some cardboard (cereal box) in the dimensions of the cone I needed. Then folded/ cut/ pinned the cordura around it and sewed it up that way. Once the cone was completed I used the top 2-4 inches you are talking about on each panel and attached the cone to them, using the whole 2-4 inches as area to add extra stitches. Once it was secure I added a layer of silpoly over the top of the cordura and ran a single stitch around the perimeter to make everything water tight. It's a pain to sew up but it hasn't had a leak or a failure yet through some pretty nasty rain/ hail/ wind.

WoodBow

WKR
If you designed the walls to be 45 degrees, you can make a cone by cutting out a circle, draw a 90 degree angle from center of circle, fold that 90 degrees in so that the lines that form it are now touching, and then sew that flap down. Then there is no actual seam to fail. You can make multiple passes of stitches through that flap.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
If you designed the walls to be 45 degrees, you can make a cone by cutting out a circle, draw a 90 degree angle from center of circle, fold that 90 degrees in so that the lines that form it are now touching, and then sew that flap down. Then there is no actual seam to fail. You can make multiple passes of stitches through that flap.

This also is a great way to create two identical cones easily.

Thank you I'm thinking about making two 500d cones and sandwiching the silpoly, maybe glue them together. I read about attaching with vertical seams rather that sewing around the cone, what's your opinion on that?

WoodBow

WKR
This also is a great way to create two identical cones easily.

Thank you I'm thinking about making two 500d cones and sandwiching the silpoly, maybe glue them together. I read about attaching with vertical seams rather that sewing around the cone, what's your opinion on that?
I think that is what i did to hide the unrefined and misaligned edges of the main body material. I wouldn't mess with gluing it personally. Vertical seams will displace the load across more stitches i believe. I just didnt have the material to do that. I started all my main seems at the ground end and i ended up with a real cluster at the top for various reasons. So i cut probably a good 6 inches off the top and made an 8" cone.

WoodBow

WKR
When you make one of those cones, you are making a tipi. I played with the idea of just sewing long pieces of straight fabric together at the edges until large enough. Then using the cone method (except cutting out the 90) to make a full tipi. I believe you would have less seam to sew overall and certainly an easier layup. What steered me away is that it wouldn't look as clean with unorthodox seam lines. I was also unsure of how it would tension with the seams in random locations and planes.

Beendare

WKR
I think if i do another, I will sew most of the panels together then form the cone tacking on the seams before I finalize the assembly.

Then a little seam seal glue to keep fabric bonded together.....

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I think if i do another, I will sew most of the panels together then form the cone tacking on the seams before I finalize the assembly.

Then a little seam seal glue to keep fabric bonded together.....

last night I made a scaled model, I can sew the seams up to about an inch of the apex, then I just get a bunch of fabric bunching from the other panels. so what I'm planning on now is sewing the silpoly all the way to the apex and making 1 1000d cordura cone to place on the top of the silpoly apex. I'll attach the cone with a small amount of seam grip and stitch with two vertical stitches on each of the tipi seams. I believe this is over kill and hopfully create a "bomb proof" apex? I guess we'll see!

530Chukar

WKR
I used the Mara 50 thread from ripstopbythe roll. I did my top a little different. All the silpoly panels were sewn together all the way to the top. I then cut 2 500d cordura circles and used silnet to glue one piece to each side of the tip. I then sewed the cordura pieces vertically on the seams to maintain the strength. After this there was an issue with the center pole slipping off the cordura under strong winds and poked a couple holes in the silpoly. I was able to make a small sleeve that fits over the end of the center pole and sewed that into the tip. Haven’t had an issue with it slipping off since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Does anyone have any pictures of this?

I just got mine together and am at the same place trying to figure out how I want to reinforce the top for the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry the 2yo got ahold of my phone and obviously had something to say to you guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk