Tipi Liner

Has anyone ever tried making a liner for the tipi out of Tyvek?
I'm thinking of trying it. I carry a 30" x 60' or so piece for laying skinned qtrs. on, and thought this item could serve double duty as a possible liner if weather moved in. I could easily enough incres the size, make my own custom Redcliffe liner/game ground sheet combo .
This would be much cheaper and light as well.

colonel00

WKR
Seems like it would be heavy and hard to work with. If you are going to make a liner, just get lightweight ripstop nylon that has a DWR treatment. I believe that's what is typically used anyway. Not sure how well it would work as a ground sheet though. But then again, are you really going to take the liner out all the time when you go off hunting and put it back every time you come back?

reaper

WKR
Seems like it would be heavy and hard to work with. If you are going to make a liner, just get lightweight ripstop nylon that has a DWR treatment. I believe that's what is typically used anyway. Not sure how well it would work as a ground sheet though. But then again, are you really going to take the liner out all the time when you go off hunting and put it back every time you come back?
X2

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Wasn't even gonna put it up unless it was rainy non stop, super cold and creating condensation issues. It would always be in the pack for its original purpose, but in case of rain or what ever it could be used as needed if the situation demanded it. I didn't order the liner for mine cause I didn't think it would be an issue hunting solo and didn't like the $100 cost. But got thinking about frosty mornings etc....
This stuff is already water resistant and not heavy, at least the lighter grade stuff. I do have some that is super thick. How much are the sheets of ripstop nylon?

WoodBow

WKR
You can get inexpensive ripstop for $5 or less a yard. Usually 60ish inches wide.

colonel00

WKR
Check out ripstopbytheroll.com

Another thought would be to just use a nest. A little more weight but added protection.

Also, depending on the breathability of Tyvek, it may retain more moisture in the inside than it lists through

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Well that settles that then. I will look at the other posted options - thx a ton guys

OP
mfllood3800
I went to ripstopbytheroll web site and assume I would want the lightest oz breathable membrane type?

rayporter

WKR
i used a big ol mosquito net for a half liner. it certainly breathes well. lol.

i have used it several times but it has not been tested in bad condensation.

colonel00

WKR
Netting would be fine too. After all, most double wall tent nests have plenty of netting.

For ripstop, look for the stuff with a DWR coating. This will repel the water instead of letting it soak in.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveC

WKR
I went to ripstopbytheroll web site and assume I would want the lightest oz breathable membrane type?

I'd recommend the 1.1 oz/yard nylon ripstop. The lighter stuff is calendered, which improves strength and downproofing, but decreases breathability. You want the most breathable material for a liner. The 1.1 from RipstopbytheRoll is what I've used and it works well.

reaper

WKR
I'd recommend the 1.1 oz/yard nylon ripstop. The lighter stuff is calendered, which improves strength and downproofing, but decreases breathability. You want the most breathable material for a liner. The 1.1 from RipstopbytheRoll is what I've used and it works well.
Pictures of your work?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
I put a liner together for my Kifaru 8 man using 1.1oz uncalendared from ripstopbytheroll.com - one of the best investments of time and money I have put together. Actually can't see myself using 8man without again. Not exactly sure why but the 8 man is much more prone to condensation compared to any of the smaller 'mid shelters I have used from Oware, SO and GoLite. Tried everything from leaving both doors open all night with the mosquito netting closed and even pitching it a few inches off the ground but still fought getting rained on inside. The liner makes all the difference and it's really surprising how simple yet effective the liner is.

Materials ended up less than $70 and weighs less than the Kifaru liner by a decent amount. Basically all I did was set up the tent in the yard, measured each panel which ended up being 3 different shapes. Take note where the attachment points on the tent are and I used 550 cord for all tie outs. Eventually I transferred it to paper templates although I'm not sure it was necessary but it helped to visualize how it was all going together and pin point the attachment points. Sewing was petty straight forward although mine is not the prettiest but since it's not structural it just needs to hold together.

Last edited: