Tipi overload... looking for suggestions

jaggy13

FNG
I've been down a few rabbit holes now.
I like the sawtooth, the tut and have also been looking at titanium goat and cimiron.
I'll be mostly sharing the space and want to be able to use a stove but may not in early season.

I like the price point of the cimeron package with stove and carbon pole, but I like the idea of being able to stand up to get dressed in the sawtooth.

I'm also looking at having a custom slightly larger "tut" constructed by a forum member.

I'm 6'4" and my partner is shorter.
I don't need to be able to stand completely up, but a golite tipi looks too short.
I'd like to be able to hang clothing to dry.
Weight is a consideration so I'll buy a carbon pole when available. But not the end all be all. I'd rather have efficient space than lightest overall weight if that makes any sense.

Price is a factor, but not the ultimate decider. If my options are with a couple hundred then I'll go with best fit. As we approach twice the price for similar function I'll probably save some cash.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I tried the 4 Tipi but it wasn't tall enough for me, I'm 6'3" and old, so I bought the larger Tut built by live2hunt. It seems to be well built and it's about 86" in the middle. I got the carbon pole from SO and 16 TI stakes. The whole kit and caboodle weighs 3.67 lbs. And live2hunt stands behind his builds.
I like to call my shelter "The King Tut".

Last edited:

LBFowler

WKR
I don't think you would be able to stand up in a sawtooth/4man/redcliff sized tent. I'm 6'2" and need something more 6 man sized to stand upright.

I'm 6'3", and the 4-man from SO was tall enough to fully stand in but only with my head wedged between the pole and fabric.

Decided to sell the 4-man and get a 6-man. Real room to stand and walk near the pole. I'm real happy with the 6, but also picked up a Silvertip for going light/solo.

Here's a couple visuals,

SO 4-man, 6'10" peak,

7zQXjdN.jpg

SO 6-man, 7'10" peak,

Lp1m14b.jpg

Shane

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
I tried the 4 Tipi but it wasn't tall enough for me, I'm 6'3" and old, so I bought the larger Tut built by live2hunt. It seems to be well built and it's about 86" in the middle. I got the carbon pole from SO and 16 TI stakes. The whole kit and caboodle weighs 3.67 lbs. And live2hunt stands behind his builds.
I like to call my shelter "The King Tut".

That's who I am talking to about making a shelter as well. The King Tut is a great nick name for it.
It's my front runner as well. Trying to convince my hunting partner as well though.
Not a deal breaker but just curious, when using for base camp, I was wondering if I could use two army cots in the King Tut. I may just throw the mattress directly on the ground cover, but when I can get better sleep, I like to. do the walls go vertical high enough to accommodate a cot on each side?
Obviously solo it would be fine, or if we had the stove and everything setup, it might not work.
On a side note, I just found a gritty bowman episode that covered the Sawtooth vs Tut. very helpful.

Thanks for the input so far guys. It's so easy to spin out of control chasing squirrels.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's who I am talking to about making a shelter as well. The King Tut is a great nick name for it.
It's my front runner as well. Trying to convince my hunting partner as well though.
Not a deal breaker but just curious, when using for base camp, I was wondering if I could use two army cots in the King Tut. I may just throw the mattress directly on the ground cover, but when I can get better sleep, I like to. do the walls go vertical high enough to accommodate a cot on each side?
Obviously solo it would be fine, or if we had the stove and everything setup, it might not work.
On a side note, I just found a gritty bowman episode that covered the Sawtooth vs Tut. very helpful.

Thanks for the input so far guys. It's so easy to spin out of control chasing squirrels.
Probably wouldn't work right up to the wall but I think they'd still fit. There is a lot of room in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
J

jaggy13

FNG
What are the dimensions of the King Tut? And how many guys do you think can sleep in it with a stove?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Instead of 100x100, it's 111x111. And a little taller.
I don't intend to have more than 2 people in it ever but could probably do 3 without a stove if the need arose.

Look at BPWD as well. I have been happy with mine. Made to order and the price point is favorable. Mine luna 6 fully loaded was about 6 bills.