Tipi stove? Kifaru or Seek Outside?

jb@work

FNG
I have an 8 man Kifaru Tipi and will be purchasing a stove for it this year. My question is which stove is better built and/or which would you recommend?
Thanks!!
Jarrod

LionHead

WKR
Ill throw a vote for seek outside box stove, easy to assemble and the large removable door makes it easy to load wood.

No experience with kifaru stoves.

The SO large box is about the right size to be just small enough to carry solo when paired with a BCS2/redcliff/cimarron and just large enough to have a decent burn time. I've never regretted taking it in crappy weather.

With the 8man seems most suggest SXL or XL or comparible size if going kifaru. Lots of love out there for the 'light outdoors' cylinder stove if that's of interest to you

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have never used the Seek Outside but have heard positive about it. I have used the Kifaru stove in my Supertarp probably 8 or 9 trips and it has been outstanding so far. Probably want to take my advice with a pretty big grain of salt as there are a lot of people on here who have waaaaay more experience with stoves than I do. I'm just saying I've been super happy with it so far.

rj2

WKR
Do you guys bring a folding saw or just break the wood down when backpacking it?

reaper

WKR
Seekoutside are the best in every ways imo,sliding door can be open either sides,damper control,super easy set-up.I use the sxl in my Sawtooth.I have tried 2 kifaru stoves and din't like them.
6c7e70e77d34922a93440a7264df88f0.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Seekoutside are the best in every ways imo,sliding door can be open either sides,damper control,super easy set-up.I use the sxl in my Sawtooth.I have tried 2 kifaru stoves and din't like them.
6c7e70e77d34922a93440a7264df88f0.jpg

What was it about the kifaru stoves that you did not like? I have never used a wood burning tent stove (other than the old cast iron... but that is a different deal). Just trying to learn the pros and cons. Thanks for any insight and experiance.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the lite outdoors stove. I run one in my sawtooth and it has a bigger door so can get a longer burn time

reaper

WKR
What was it about the kifaru stoves that you did not like? I have never used a wood burning tent stove (other than the old cast iron... but that is a different deal). Just trying to learn the pros and cons. Thanks for any insight and experiance.
There is no damper for the kifaru,they are heavier and the door sucks,not air tight at all,you can see a gap between the door and the front wall,up and down,door is also small.They do the job but i prefer to have more control,if you try to put woods in it in the dark at night and you sleep on the other side(the door hinges near you)its a pain...not a problem with the seekoutside slidding door.
00fd125d5eecd238f2402276e099eb63.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
@Ryan Avery just got a Winnerwell stove that has no small parts to lose and sets up quick. Looks like a solid option for an 8 man, it comes with an 8ft pipe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you guys bring a folding saw or just break the wood down when backpacking it?

Just break it up as best you can. These stoves can't take a very large diameter log... more like sticks. So it's easy to just bust them with your feet.

Just break it up as best you can. These stoves can't take a very large diameter log... more like sticks. So it's easy to just bust them with your feet.

I respectfully disagree. I can get a 4 -5 inch round log in the stove. Its important to keep a good base of coals.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. I can get a 4 -5 inch round log in the stove. Its important to keep a good base of coals.

I agree with the 4-5”-ers. Our definition of sticks is different. I should have clarified. But he still shouldn’t have to pack a saw to break a 4” piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk