Tipi Talk

cknlg1

FNG
So, I have been on many back country excursions, used multiple tents and have also owned some of Warbonnets best hammock gear. I have now sold the hammock, am questioning the tent, and really starting to lean towards a Seek Cimarron or Kifaru Tut in efforts to cut weight and simply my shelter. I am a side sleeper that just purchased the Helinox packable cot and am starting to feel that the floorless tipi may be the way to go.
Just wondering if being off the ground from critters, although they may still show up, as the cot provides a certain amount of sleeping separation, yet still have to worry about them knawing on the rest of my gear.
Anyone have a been there opinion?

Beendare

WKR
Tipi and floorless have advantages and disadvantages. If you are in an area with varmints....you will get them with floorless. A full size cot usually keeps them off you....the backpack cots no....but it isn't usually a big factor. My buddy Tim killed a shrew inside his bag in the middle of the night on a drop camp Ak hunt with my tipi.

You will still need an insulated Mat with the cots....side sleepers benefit from a 3" +/- inflatable.

Much has been written here on these forums about tipis v tents if you search. The big advantage to tipis is lightweight and they shed wind like no other shelter. 60 mph + wind is no problem for a tight pitch tipi.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SO 4 man tipi and it has a nice size sod skirt so you can cover it with dirt/rocks etc to seal the tipi. It really helps keep the wind and un-wanted quest out.