Tipi Tent Help: Best Two-Man Palace?

EmperorMA

WKR
Looking for a tipi-style hot tent that can sleep two hunters on cots with a stove and room for gear and two chairs to sit in out of the weather. Looking for the smallest possible option that will allow this and allow someone 6’2” tall to stand up completely.

I want the smallest option because I’d also like to backpack solo out of this tent on occasion without the stove. I am not so much worried about carrying an extra pound as I am having all the room I need for two in hunting camp.

This also might be shared by three people on summer backpacking trips, also sans stove.

Only looking at Kifaru and Seek Outside but would be open to other suggestions.

So far, I’m considering Kifaru Tut, Sawtooth and 8-Man as well as Seek Outside Cimarron, 4-Man, 6-Man, Red Cliff and 8-Man.

Anyone have experience with any of these who could speak to a tent’s ability to shelter two hunters for a week in palatial fashion?

Thanks!

If you are looking for that person to stand straight up you can rule out a handful of your selections right away. Cimarron, redcliff, Sawtooth, and tut will not allow you to stand completely or will only allow you to stand right next to the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
The cimmaron will definitely not work for what you want with cots and chairs. I have one and cant quite standup in it and I'm 5'8". It fits two people on the ground with gear and a stove but no room for chairs at all. You could probably fit some of the low to the ground light weight type cots. I camp two ways. 1) relatively light, in which I take the cimmaron and a tigoat wifi stove. 2) Comfort camping in which I take an arctic oven with a bunk bed cot and steel stove. IMO for what you want / need, I would suggest a two tent setup to give you options.

sneaky

"DADDY"
2 guys on cots and a stove and chairs? Take the Sawtooth, Tut, Cimarron off your list cause that ain't happening. A Redcliff would be a good place to start. Or an 8 man. The cots and chairs knocks your list down quick, and standing room.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My dad and I use the SO 8 man for rifle/base camping style hunts. We run a 4dog - ThreeDog model steel stove which is pretty beefy and he runs a cot ( I don't like them as I typically get cold no matter how much padding I have underneath). He usually sits on his cot and I usually sit in a helinox chair. So with this setup - it's starting to get a little tight for things. Guess the good thing about a cot is you can stash your gear underneath it - but since it's a car basecamp; I just leave my pack in the truck.

Youd be surprised on how much space can get taken up with a stove and 2 bed areas in an 8 man tipi. If you truly want a palace and weight isn't an issue - i'd go 12

rayporter

WKR
8 man or a 12 man.

I have owned two 8 man tipis and sold both for a 12.

if you really will sit on 2 chairs and stoke the fire while the cots are set up, the 12 is about it.

make a mock up by staking out some string around a post or pole. you will see what you need easily.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Snyder has a video comparing the tut and sawtooth. I'll summarize tho: Tut is ligtht weight no frills sqaure tipi for two peope, weights 3 pounds something, still lots of room, pitches in a couple min, and can stand up in just the middle. Sawtooth is bombproof, has a liner, little more room, weights 5 pounds something, takes longer to setup, better for crap weather.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Snyder has a video comparing the tut and sawtooth. I'll summarize tho: Tut is ligtht weight no frills sqaure tipi for two peope, weights 3 pounds something, still lots of room, pitches in a couple min, and can stand up in just the middle. Sawtooth is bombproof, has a liner, little more room, weights 5 pounds something, takes longer to setup, better for crap weather.
Nevermind I skipped over the cot and chairs part... neither will work

Well I can speak from the experience of owning both a Sawtooth and an 8-Man tipi which have been used on backcountry extended hunts.

You could do what you want in the Sawtooth but it won't be a palace by any stretch of my imagination. In fact, with the gear and setup you listed I'm confident it would feel very small and crowded in there.

I've done many hunts with a partner out of an 8-Man and it is my minimum size rig for good comfort without a major squeeze. I'm not sure I'd call that rig backpack-able for a solo trip, but if you can do it....go for it. The 12 man would surely be a wonderful shelter with room for wet bar too, but I wouldn't want to carry it for miles. :oops:

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have an SO Cimarron and agree it’s not big enough for you. I’d call it comfy for two guys with sleeping bags and some gear but not cots/chairs.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I have SO 8 man. We've slept 3 on cots (2 USGI, 1 ultralight cot) with lite outdoors stove. No chairs. We had a camp stool, and 2 of us sit on the USGI cots. Plenty of room for a wood pile too. I'm 6'1" and I enough headroom.

Tigoat vertex 7.5 would be just about the right size I think. I’ve found it to be a decent amount of room for two people on pads with chairs, so small cots would be fine probably.

Once you add cots and a stove then you really want two tents. Trust me, i learned this the hard way. You're quickly gonna learn to either car camp or backpack camp. Nobody hauls all that crap far. Better off getting a comfy Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow and a small tipi (6 man min) for what you wanna do. The KC 10X14 is palatial for two.

IMG_2644.JPG

I personally don't think a typical elevated 'normal' cot has any business in a tipi unless it's a very large tipi. The sloping sidewalls combined with the height of a normal cot will push things toward the middle of the shelter. Way better are the ultralight (and ultra low) backpacking cots from Therm-a-Rest (LuxuryLite) or Helinox.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I personally don't think a typical elevated 'normal' cot has any business in a tipi unless it's a very large tipi. The sloping sidewalls combined with the height of a normal cot will push things toward the middle of the shelter. Way better are the ultralight (and ultra low) backpacking cots from Therm-a-Rest (LuxuryLite) or Helinox.
Thanks for the tips.

This tent will be used as a basecamp for two separate week-long hunting trips every year where a couple of us will essentially be car camping. These trips are what the “palace” aspect of this tent are for.

I may indeed be looking at two tents, though, based on the comments here.