Tipi tents vs dome tents for high wind

Would you fee more comfortable in high winds with a tipi set up or something like an artic oven or dome tents? Take out all other factors like head room, stove, number of people etc… I’m just looking for Durability.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I spent about 12 days in a TIGoat 8 tipi, on Frazer Lake (Kodiak Island) in April. We experienced winds that you could hear roaring down the valley and then they would hit the tipi and shake the bjesus out of it. The tipi handled it and our eyes and minds were wide open during the shaking! I have also had my tipi pole snap in half on the N. Slope during a wind storm. When you only have one pole your hunt might just be over as was ours! I have since added 2 pieces of angle aluminum to the tipi pole with hose clamps for added security. With all that said, the tipi seems to take the wind pretty well, and I would strongly advise adding aluminum supports in windy conditions. I suspect that a dome tent with all the guy outs, multiple poles, and lower profile, would handle the wind better than a tall, single pole tipi. Pros and cons...

Bearsears

WKR
I spent about 12 days in a TIGoat 8 tipi, on Frazer Lake (Kodiak Island) in April. We experienced winds that you could hear roaring down the valley and then they would hit the tipi and shake the bjesus out of it. The tipi handled it and our eyes and minds were wide open during the shaking! I have also had my tipi pole snap in half on the N. Slope during a wind storm. When you only have one pole your hunt might just be over as was ours! I have since added 2 pieces of angle aluminum to the tipi pole with hose clamps for added security. With all that said, the tipi seems to take the wind pretty well, and I would strongly advise adding aluminum supports in windy conditions. I suspect that a dome tent with all the guy outs, multiple poles, and lower profile, would handle the wind better than a tall, single pole tipi. Pros and cons...
Do you have pics of your supports?

AKDoc

WKR
That's an interesting question, and I'm curious the different responses you are going to get.

I'll just say right out of the box, which I'm sure you already know and get, it's kind of a tough question because not all dome tents or tipi's are equal in quality of product, materials, components, etc. I've seen some of each that I wouldn't be trusting for my safety or life on a remote drop hunt.

That said, here's a statement about a specific dome tent and a specific tipi. I have a Hilleberg Staika dome tent...it's a four season tent that I have used hard for eight years all over up here in Alaska, including Kodiak. That tent has proven itself bomb-proof, over and over again...period. I also have a SO 4-man tipi that I've also used up here for the past four years. We primarily use it for a day shelter on extended drop hunts to get out of the wind and rain, but we each sleep in our individual tents. There have been many times that I have gotten out of my Staika in the morning, not expecting to see the tipi still standing because the winds were hellacious that night...but each time it's right there, still standing and fully intact...each time, without failure. That said, I use good stakes for both my tent and tipi, i.e., stakes designed for tundra.

So, given a comparison of that dome tent and that tipi, it's looking like it just might be a draw when answering the specific question, "Which performs best in high winds." However, I'm still going to choose to sleep in my Staika under those conditions.

If the expeditioneers climbing in the Himalayas are any indicator, it would appear 4 season dome tents are the choice for extreme conditions. However I think much of the performance in a given wind storm depends on your stake/guy out setup and being cognizant of when/how you exit and enter. My SO Redcliff with carbon pole handled some super gnarly wind that was knocking over 20 inch thick aspens last year but I had everything guyed out with 8 inch stakes and got good purchase in soil and we were sure to only exit/enter on the leeward side. In hardscrabble sediment Im not so sure it would have been the same.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have pics of your supports?
It's basically two, 3 ft. lengths of angle aluminum, overlapped in the middle, and attached to the pole after setup with 3 hose clamps. I also use aluminum rod attached to the center pole for coat and glove racks. The rod is also attached with hose clamps. Rods up high for coats and rods down low for gloves, socks, etc.

Attachments

• Aluminum supports.jpg
    Aluminum supports.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 131
  • glove rack.jpg
    glove rack.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 129

6.5x284

WKR
I have both and for high winds (40+) will opt for a dome. My SG Skyscraper 2P kept me dry in a horrible storm on a goat trip. Forecast was 70 kt, I bet we reached higher than that on the glacier basin we were in. I had 18 stakes in the ground all stacked with rocks. Broke 2 guy out lines but the tent stayed put. I will opt for a dome in poor soil conditions as well.

There’s a SG dome tent way down there!
513be18f37afc126353f61f318deb5bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you fee more comfortable in high winds with a tipi set up or something like an artic oven or dome tents? Take out all other factors like head room, stove, number of people etc… I’m just looking for Durability.

I have a fair number of different shelters, from solo to large DCF Mids, a 12 person tipi, 4 season mountaineering tents, a 6 person dome tent, and an Arctic Oven. They all have their place, but for sheer durability (ultra bombproof), and spacious comfort, nothing comes close to an Arctic Oven IMO.

I haven't used a true four season, but can't imagine a good one not winning a battle of wind strength against a good tipi. Neither, I might add, are meant to compete with one another directly. We've had our 8 man SO in some very strong wind that makes you wince if you are in it at the time. Our only issue so far is once it bounced the tipi hard enough that it pulled the stove pipe out of the stove.

Last edited:
Our only issue so far is once it bounced the tipi hard enough that it pulled the stove pipe out of the stove.

I had the exact same thing happen on Kodiak with my 12 person SO tipi. Not only did the stove pipe come off the stove, but it landed directly in my boot, and over the course of the night dumped about a half inch of water into it.

Moserkr

WKR
Good to know tigoat can handle it for days on end. I have the 7.5 tipi and we had a few nights of sustained 40 mph winds with gusts into the 60s. At no point did I sleep but she held with no damage. Id want a lower profile tent with lots of guyouts and more stakes to sleep well through crazy winds. Free standing would be nice too.

It's basically two, 3 ft. lengths of angle aluminum, overlapped in the middle, and attached to the pole after setup with 3 hose clamps. I also use aluminum rod attached to the center pole for coat and glove racks. The rod is also attached with hose clamps. Rods up high for coats and rods down low for gloves, socks, etc.
Great idea. I just had the pole break on my Redcliffe at 4:00am. This makes perfect sense to use in windy conditions. I was wondering of the poles for SO bigger tents like the 8 man, would have thicker CF walls? If they did, I would consider buying those. But until I find out, I will get some alumn angle and hose clamps to add to my kit. Thx for this idea.

Beendare

WKR
An Arctic Oven is a much heavier tent…have you seen the poles on those? Yeah, those are bulletproof. Apples and oranges to a UL Tipi.

Ive had a cabelas outfitter tent with the crummy fiberglass poles get plowed in Kodiak in 90 mph winds.

The best tent I own for shedding wind is my Tipi. Its a perfect cone 7.5’ tall 12.5’ dia made with 1.6 oz silpoly. A little more sewing with 10 panels but those seams and smaller panels make it strong. I doubt you can beat that cone shape, its very aerodynamic.

Ive had it in 60 mph conditons with heavy rain and like the other guys said, the stovepipe jostles around quite a bit. It makes the Ak pilots happy when they dont have to come rescue you- grin.

An Arctic Oven is a much heavier tent…have you seen the poles on those? Yeah, those are bulletproof. Apples and oranges to a UL Tipi.

Ive had a cabelas outfitter tent with the crummy fiberglass poles get plowed in Kodiak in 90 mph winds.

The best tent I own for shedding wind is my Tipi. Its a perfect cone 7.5’ tall 12.5’ dia made with 1.6 oz silpoly. A little more sewing with 10 panels but those seams and smaller panels make it strong. I doubt you can beat that cone shape, its very aerodynamic.

Ive had it in 60 mph conditons with heavy rain and like the other guys said, the stovepipe jostles around quite a bit. It makes the Ak pilots happy when they dont have to come rescue you- grin.
I have not seen their pole, but I did order the 8 man tipi pole from SO and will start using it once cut to size, with hopefully great success. I got the RC for it's tipi shape, but with a rectangular foot print for quick and easy set up. I have had this RC in winds in excess of 60mph a couple times. It handles the constant winds really well. But what hit me was an isolated wind blast going off like a cannon.

Trial153

WKR
Had a sawtooth set up in some pretty strong winds and it handled it excellent. We did have it guyed out as solid as we could though, extra stakes and rocks as well ..

Those carbon poles are nice, but the weak point is sometimes at the connection. It might be worth reinforcing that.

When I backpack my tipi in the lower 48, I just cut a pole from standing dead timber- its usually everywhere. I built in a heavy wide cone at the top to accept these.

In areas like Ak, I bite the bullet and take a fairly heavy 1” aluminum pole.

One of the keys to high winds is to keep everything cinched up. These tents/ tipis expand and contract with slack in the fabric. Too much slack and that concaved wall catches the wind instead of deflecting it.

Yep, I read guys using alumni angle to beef it up.
Thanks for the tips. I did check out artic tipis
Wow way robust.
I looked at their alumni pole but couldn't see any detailed description.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

As discussed above, another nice option if the material is available, and especially if you are setting up a mutli-day camp, is to cut a decent pole to size at camp. Hell for stout. Sometimes if we know it will be a tipi pole rich environment we don't even bring the SO carbon pole for our 8 man.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Had a sawtooth set up in some pretty strong winds and it handled it excellent. We did have it guyed out as solid as we could though, extra stakes and rocks as well ..
I took my sawtooth to alaska again this year and I've never had an issue with it in the wind but I'm looking for an 8 man and with that added height i'm worried about the wind catching it.