Tipi vs Trekking pole style tent

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TIgoat 7.5 tipi and stove. Used it for a bunch of years on sheep hunts. Like the tipi and stove but don't love it. you end up spending a ton of time dealing with the stove. In bad weather it is nice to hunker down in it at night rather than out in the elements. If I knew it was going to rain and snow for 2 weeks on a sheep hunt I would consider taking it. I have been pretty lucky the last 8 ish year and would rather go with a conventional tent in those situations. Went with a duston x mid solid 2 for myself starting last year. Love it. I just use my trekking poles. takes 2 seconds to cut a couple sticks and throw them in for the day when using the poles day hunting. I might grab a set of the poles durston advertises for future hunts that I am not having to hike a ton or if only above tree line. I prefer sleeping, setting up, and packing the durston over dealing with the tipi. only draw back of the durston over tipi is drying gear if you get wet. Floorless tipi's are cold the second the stove dies. you need an extra tarp or bivi to keep your bag clean. finding a big footprint for it can be a pain.

Idaboy

WKR
You can always pack dedicated tent poles if you don't want to use your treking poles (or use a couple sticks). Obviously there's a weight/cost component with that choice. No way in hell, I'd use floorless back east unless freezing temps.....way too many bugs for me. The stove is nice when it's cold, but it's also sort of a pain in the ass, I'd hate to set it up and take it down every day.
Agree with this...you can by carbon poles/components and make your own custom to fit on the cheap

pugwylde

FNG
With all that said I like the argali with the ability to use the 1/2 inner mesh for myself as well as the potential use of the stove. Not sure how much is really use a stove but I think the ability would make me start trying it out around home. On the other hand, I like the Durston for being lightweight but also able to interchange the mesh and solid inner for early and late season weather.
So, I have the Durston X mid, the Absaroka, and Owyhee. The footprint on a tipi is big, so you are going to be looking hard for places wide enough and flat enough to set it down. The upside is, you might be able to stand up in the middle.

I took the Durston on spring bear with my son last year, got dumped on with rain, and it was awesome. Getting dressed was a challenge without getting wet, but I had no complaints otherwise.

The Owyhee footprint is tiny in comparison to those two. If I was flying solo, there would be no question which one I was taking.

Final note, I spoke with Brad Brooks at Argali about using the half nest and stove and he cautioned that it wasn't designed for that. You could do it, but an errant spark is going to make short work of that netting. Disappointing, because that would make for the ultimate in spring bear comfort, but totally reasonable.

Tipi style all the way if you can only have one. I make my own, so have a closet full of options. I almost always reach for the pyramid or tipi though. Nothing beats the ability to stand up, and they're so nice with a stove when it's colder. I can use my trekking poles ( with a hitch), but usually just cut a pole. I have one of my guy lines knotted at the perfect length for my pole and carry a little saw, so it's quick and easy.

owenseek24

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I just picked up a seek outside guardian with a stove. Hoping to use it for spring bear in oregon and rifle mule deer in Montana. I really debated between the guardian and the argali 2p. The argali having the half best is awesome. If you go they route, let me know how you like it.

I’m having second thoughts on the guardian right now because I’ve been told the tics can be really bad where I’m hunting spring bear this year.
We actually just released a floor system for the guardian that can be run with the stove! Only 12 ounces i've been loving it!

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
We actually just released a floor system for the guardian that can be run with the stove! Only 12 ounces i've been loving it!
I saw that! I’m probably gonna pick up a cimarron with the half nest next spring for bear. Didn’t draw my bear tag this year!