Tipping a hunting guide

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to New Foundland for a moose hunt in a couple of weeks. Assuming the guide does a good job how much do you tip? I’m thinking 10% of the trip cost.

10% of price for the actual guided hunt = average tip for average service

10% of trip cost (IE. Hunt fee, tags, fuel, hotel stay, food, etc.) = Probably a pretty good tip if your travelling very far at all.

10% of the Hunt is fair. Just a suggestion, a Guide can do a lot more with $$$ than he can with a new knife, or a pair of binoculars, or anything else you want to part with. I have seen hunters think they were so generous when they gave the guide a "Custom Handmade Knife" for a tip instead of cash. The Guide acted really gracious, but he probably went home and threw it in a box with the rest of the gifts he has received over the years. My opinion only, YMMV. "Custom knife" is an example only, you can insert any piece of equipment in there, but remember cash is king.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with cash is king. Most guides don't need any more gadgets/trinkets.
Most all of my guided hunts have been out of the country. I tip 10% of the hunt cost for good service.

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
I agree to a point about not giving gifts for tips BUT
1 of the first guided hunts we've been on our guide was using a spotter that had the rubber eye cup duct taped on and the spotter it's self taped to tripod needles to say I have him my new vortex spotter and tripod along with $100. Great guy and guide

bozeman

WKR
No tip at all. Do a search in here- guides do it for the love of the hunt and not to make money............they work 28 hours a day leading up to each hunting trip and drive their vehicles over 10,000 miles for each client. They leave their ‘day’ job where they make $75k/year and take a break to work longer hours, deal with cheap clients and leave their families because they ‘love’ it so much. They never make money, mostly lose money each trip...........thats why you can find one on every corner, cause their is no money to be made.....

Have a great trip!! Hope you are successful!!!!

MtGomer

WKR
I worked for an outfitter this year for the first time.
I’m one of those guys with a career, that did it for the adventure and experience and not for the money, that Bozeman has a chip on his shoulder about.
We hunted hard and on day 8 killed a fantastic ram. The client tipped well. That was nice. Breaking even on airplane ticket and hotel makes it justifiable to the family you leave behind for two weeks. If he wouldn’t have tipped me a penny, I still would have had a good time and would still come back next year. I can make the money of the tip in two days of MUCH easier work at home. Not tipping after a hunt like that would reflect on him, not on us.
Now, if one of the 19 year olds that work for this same outfitter that are trying to make a living and a life out of guiding got stiffed, I’d imagine it would sting, as he doesn’t have someone back home paying for his insurance while he’s gone, and paying him not to be there.

10% is probably a good general rule. I think it can be less for more expensive hunts. (If you shoot a desert ram on a Mexican ranch, I think $6k is a bit excessive of a tip).

No tip at all. Do a search in here- guides do it for the love of the hunt and not to make money............they work 28 hours a day leading up to each hunting trip and drive their vehicles over 10,000 miles for each client. They leave their ‘day’ job where they make $75k/year and take a break to work longer hours, deal with cheap clients and leave their families because they ‘love’ it so much. They never make money, mostly lose money each trip...........thats why you can find one on every corner, cause their is no money to be made.....

Have a great trip!! Hope you are successful!!!!
Who hurt you???

Ratbeetle

WKR
10% of price for the actual guided hunt = average tip for average service

10% of trip cost (IE. Hunt fee, tags, fuel, hotel stay, food, etc.) = Probably a pretty good tip if your travelling very far at all.

And this is a perfect example of why the tipping process is ridiculous. Congrats, you did a completely mediocre job which was exactly what your employer pays you to do. Now here's a bonus!

I get the post that said a custom knife for a tip or a portion of the tip would not be a good gift. Prior to my grizzly bear hunt in Alaska which I just returned home from, I spoke with the outfitter and asked what a good tip for my guide would be. I was told for this particular hunt that $800.00 to $1000.00 would be a good tip. I had also came up with the idea of getting a Ruana knife made here in Montana where I live as part of this tip. Being Montana folks themselves, the outfitter and her husband thought my idea was a fantastic one and they knew my guide would love it. They both know the quality and toughness of a Ruana knife and thought my guide would be thrilled.

I ordered up the Ruana model that I thought is an extremely well thought out knife for blade size and shape. I had the knife engraved on the top of the handle as an added special addition to remember the hunt and this gift. I gave the knife to my guide when I got into camp and before we went out to our spike camp. He loved it and thought it was a very generous and thoughtful gift that he very much appreciated. My guide's knives that he typically used were nothing to fawn over lets just say. For what it's worth the knife and engraving set me back to the tune of $415.00 so it isn't cheap.

I was lucky enough to kill a very nice bear and my guide used the knife on the bear skinning it. I had to assist as it was my bear and it's all part of the hunt, but he was thrilled with the quality and how well the knife worked. Later back at spike camp I also gave my guide an additional $500.00 cash. He seemed very happy and satisfied and a couple weeks later he sent me photo's of a moose a client had taken with pictures of a very bloody Ruana knife in pictures with the moose. It made it through a grizzly bear and a huge Alaskan moose without needing touched up or sharpened!

I think there are times and occasions a thoughtful and yet very practical gift such as a knife or binoculars, or something similar can be just as appreciated as $$$ are, and something that can be cherished. I guess I'm saying to not completely dish on giving something similar as part of the tip. Each hunt and guide is different.

David

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get the post that said a custom knife for a tip or a portion of the tip would not be a good gift. Prior to my grizzly bear hunt in Alaska which I just returned home from, I spoke with the outfitter and asked what a good tip for my guide would be. I was told for this particular hunt that $800.00 to $1000.00 would be a good tip. I had also came up with the idea of getting a Ruana knife made here in Montana where I live as part of this tip. Being Montana folks themselves, the outfitter and her husband thought my idea was a fantastic one and they knew my guide would love it. They both know the quality and toughness of a Ruana knife and thought my guide would be thrilled.

I ordered up the Ruana model that I thought is an extremely well thought out knife for blade size and shape. I had the knife engraved on the top of the handle as an added special addition to remember the hunt and this gift. I gave the knife to my guide when I got into camp and before we went out to our spike camp. He loved it and thought it was a very generous and thoughtful gift that he very much appreciated. My guide's knives that he typically used were nothing to fawn over lets just say. For what it's worth the knife and engraving set me back to the tune of $415.00 so it isn't cheap.

I was lucky enough to kill a very nice bear and my guide used the knife on the bear skinning it. I had to assist as it was my bear and it's all part of the hunt, but he was thrilled with the quality and how well the knife worked. Later back at spike camp I also gave my guide an additional $500.00 cash. He seemed very happy and satisfied and a couple weeks later he sent me photo's of a moose a client had taken with pictures of a very bloody Ruana knife in pictures with the moose. It made it through a grizzly bear and a huge Alaskan moose without needing touched up or sharpened!

I think there are times and occasions a thoughtful and yet very practical gift such as a knife or binoculars, or something similar can be just as appreciated as $$$ are, and something that can be cherished. I guess I'm saying to not completely dish on giving something similar as part of the tip. Each hunt and guide is different.

David
The problem comes when the next guy also wants to get him another knife no matter how awesome it is a guy can only use one at a time. Add the fact his wife would have much rather spent the money that the knife cost.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Agree 10% of the what you pay to the outfitter for the hunt. Have hunted Africa, canada, and just did an archery elk hunt in Wyoming and have used the 10% rule for solid, effort. If the guide went above and beyond I've gone a little higher.

bozeman

WKR
Who hurt you???

Noone, it's just the number of posts you read about guides 'losing money' while they guide and how tipping is a reflection on the client (mentioned above). The whole tipping mentality is ridiculous...........I paid the outfitter for a hunting trip or fishing trip, they should pay their employees..............