Tipping for Alaskan Outfitters and Bush Pilots

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
We are heading out of Kotzebue on August 31st for an outifitted/unguided caribou hunt. One question my group has is who if anyone is it standard to tip, and how much is a baseline for tipping?

This is new to our group so any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

I usually tip my pilot when I am dropped off for the hunt, that way he doesn't forget about me... Learned that the hard way. Sometimes I fly with the owner of a company and I don't normally tip them. Either way, tip whoever you'd like but I'd start with the pilot.

Ono

FNG
I usually tip my pilot when I am dropped off for the hunt, that way he doesn't forget about me... Learned that the hard way. Sometimes I fly with the owner of a company and I don't normally tip them. Either way, tip whoever you'd like but I'd start with the pilot.
How long did he forget about you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nick is young and he's too brave. :) Don't tip any pilot until they have you in and out with great landings.

Definition of a good bush landing: That's one you can walk away from.
A great landing is one you can walk away from with a smile.

Tip before you leave, it might get you dropped off in a better spot. Plus, if you need moved or a early take out it helps.

Jake

Ono,

It was a 9 day hunt and I think we got picked up on day 12 or 13, not due to weather. I guess when three peoples wives and one person's boss calls the air service we flew out with they finally remembered us :)

VernAK

WKR
If your flight provider has a gal in the office, be sure to get in good with her as she's the one that keeps those pilots organized. I also send an INReach message to her every morning to let her know what the weather conditions are in our area or if we have meat to pickup.

Guide tipping is usually 10-15% of hunt cost but if the guy is great to spend time with, has done his homework, works hard, considers you and your mental/physical state and gets you shot opps then I go 20%-25%.