tips for a first time bear hunter

sro914

FNG
I am from Wyoming and have recently found an intrest in bear hunting. I know nothing about it so I am looking for good places to look for information. Maybe good articles or resource you have found. Maybe your personal pointers. Will probably be a spot and stalk type hunt do to not having a bait site this year. Thanks for all the help

mtnlomo

FNG
Pick through more of the forums for lots of info, the search feature works great on Rokslide. For spring bear, find the green grass, old logging roads and clear cuts are money, be ready to glass lots, and being comfortable with longer shots will be necessary depending on the terrain. Good luck!

Werty

WKR
Call your biologist and game wardens in your area. Tell them your experience levels, they should point you the right direction. Also Google spring bear hunting, good luck!

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I am from Wyoming and have recently found an intrest in bear hunting. I know nothing about it so I am looking for good places to look for information. Maybe good articles or resource you have found. Maybe your personal pointers. Will probably be a spot and stalk type hunt do to not having a bait site this year. Thanks for all the help
What part of Wyoming are you in? I'm in Green River and have been doing spot and stalk spring bear for a few years now.

Not bear specific but, I've heard not to use floorless shelter in the spring due to bugs/ticks. I can't confirm as I've never used one in any season.

banebc

FNG
Black Bear size may be hard to judge. One thing that has worked for me is ear size, little ears = most likely a mature bear, big ears = small young bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Weird Question: And please forgive this minor thread offshoot detour question.

When skinning-out a bear... assuming with the intention of potentially doing a full-body mount... do people ever attempt to preserve the skin over the genitalia kept intact with the hide? Or does everybody just usually cut around that and not include it in the whole hide they pack-out?

I've not yet had the pleasure of seeing bear mounts in person, so I have to ask.

Weird Question: And please forgive this minor thread offshoot detour question.

When skinning-out a bear... assuming with the intention of potentially doing a full-body mount... do people ever attempt to preserve the skin over the genitalia kept intact with the hide? Or does everybody just usually cut around that and not include it in the whole hide they pack-out?

I've not yet had the pleasure of seeing bear mounts in person, so I have to ask.
Keep in mind that some states require the genitals to be attached to the hide to provide evidence of sex. Check the regs where you'll be hunting.

Northwet

FNG
Keep in mind that some states require the genitals to be attached to the hide to provide evidence of sex. Check the regs where you'll be hunting.
Does the outer layer suffice in such states, or do they want the actual meat of the penis or vulva? I wasn't really sure based on reading the ID pamphlet, and am also a first time bear hunter this season. Reading the regs is super easy, but understanding how to implement them in the field can be a bit more challenging.

What part of Wyoming are you in? I'm in Green River and have been doing spot and stalk spring bear for a few years now.

I’m in Green River as well! Trying to plan my first spot and stalk bear hunt this year also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id_jon

WKR
Does the outer layer suffice in such states, or do they want the actual meat of the penis or vulva? I wasn't really sure based on reading the ID pamphlet, and am also a first time bear hunter this season. Reading the regs is super easy, but understanding how to implement them in the field can be a bit more challenging.
The f&g officer that checked my bear this year seemed just fine with only the outer layer.