Tips for a Novice Coyote Hunter

fellas2

FNG
Have hunted the same property for 12 years now. I've seen quite a few coyotes while archery hunting, missed one with a crossbow, and killed one with a muzzleloader. More often than not they've seen me before i could either get a shot or get them into range. My eight year old grandson wants to go coyote hunting and i'd like to oblige. I know the mating season here in western Pa is coming up, any suggestions or advice for a novice, ie: best time of day, calls, calling sequence. Any advice is appreciated, btw the property i hunt is around 150 acres with 100 of it open fields surrounded by woods on three sides.

Early morning would probably be your best bet, since you have one spot (catch them still up moving around). If you can locate them (i.e. hear them howl from the same spot a few evenings in a row), then you can wait for the right wind, move in close and call the last hour of the day. They will want to circle down wind, before they approach, so make sure you can clearly see that area. A couple lone howls, rodent/mammal/bird distress, then pup distress is a good sequence. Since you have one small spot, I wouldn't call too much and sit for a good 45 minutes to an hour before giving up (since you don't have another spot to hunt right afterwards).

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the wind and hold still.

Don't get caught up in the gadgets and widgets.

Don't play the same repetitive call sequence or sounds. They will figure out its you very quickly.

TheGDog

WKR
Be backed up into a shadow with something behind ya to breakup your outline. I can't recommend enough 3D Leafy suits. North Mountain Gear make a nice inexpensive one you can find on Amazon.

AllPredatorCalls.com sells the Kill Suit Mesh Ghillie Suit for hot weather hunts they're Awesome for not dying in the heat!

If you get the Mesh ghillie suit... don't get the combo jacket+pants.. just ge tthe SAPR suit model which just hangs a little lower like down to the knee. That's all you need. With the pants... when hiking to next set they pick up bunch burrs like crazy. PITA.

I'll include some picks to show an example of the two suits. And also 3D Leafy Boonie hat, and Mesh Facemask. My fac in the Mesh facemask from Natural Gear. It blends in with lots of other gear very well.

With the leafy suits on, while standing, I've had yotes and bobcats looking right at me, and they don't recognize me as being a human or an animal for that matter.

This is the North Mountain Gear one. They come in two shades.. this one, and a more green/gray one.

20191110_144045 - Copy.jpg

this is the Kill Suit Mesh Ghillie Suit SAPR model. They have Desert and Woodland. The woodland is Green plus other colors. You'll see the pics on their site. If you can help it, you don't want to wear this Mesh Ghillie suit and then put your pack on yourself while wearing this, as it'll pull and tug at the mesh strips and that will cause the strips of them to possibly become unsewn and droop. And when that happens they can want to catch on your buttstock when bringing your rifle up to bear when seated.

WP_20190525_005.jpg
Also I mention the Leafy Boonie hat and mesh facemask because that hat is nice and light and thin so your head doesn't cook. Same with the mesh facemask.

In Arid/Desert regions... this Killsuit Mesh Ghillie really makes you vanish! So if you're wearing either of them on a sit... and if the possibility of other Humans with rifles coming into the area in pursuit of animals exists. At the very least shove a Blaze Orange cap onto your pack like a visibility flag, sticking up so some retard doesn't point their rifle at you because they were never taught to NOT use a Rifle scope to scan the landscape.

Depending on the area, on how dang hot it is, it can be useful to bring along a blade with a serrated edge or some hand pruning shears so you can snip to remove branches from like a scrub oak or juniper to help you stuff yourself backed up into them partially to escape the hot sun sometimes.

Last edited: