Tips for finding wallows for an elk study?

We are starting a small study on elk wallows next week in Idaho. I know where some old wallows are, and I've got some ideas on where to find more, but I've never looked for wallows this early in the year. I'd really appreciate any last minute ideas for finding wallows, especially so early in the year.

Additionally, if anyone in the greater-McCall area wants to help us out by putting us on to a good wallow, I can probably hook you up with a trail camera for the season to monitor that wallow...but you got to tell me where it's at so I can visit it 2 or 3 times (July, August, Sept) and collect some soil and water samples.

Thanks!

Bar

Banned
I might be guessing, but I think if you take a sample of a wallow the elk won't be back. Guessing, because I stay away from wallows, because I don't want to stink it up.

530Chukar

WKR
Check with the Forest Service in that area. My local district office has a map for the fire division identifying all sorts of water sources, some as small as wallows.

cnelk

WKR
No ideas on finding wallows in July?

I havent seen elk wallow in July.
Look for springs at the head of aspen draws is a good place to find elk activity in July

I took this pic Monday evening when checking a trail cam.
That's about all you gonna see for a wallow this time of year
I also saw a 5x5 bull in the same vicinity.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 151
OP
freebird134
I havent seen elk wallow in July.
Look for springs at the head of aspen draws is a good place to find elk activity in July

I took this pic Monday evening when checking a trail cam.
That's about all you gonna see for a wallow this time of year
I also saw a 5x5 bull in the same vicinity.

Thanks man. I know they won't be wallowing in July, but hopefully I can find some old ones. Appreciate the help!

The heads of creeks and wet meadows that you can see from google earth are good bets. Sift through different dates on google earth to find the most recent. I'll PM you a location outside of McCall.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dark north slopes with some water source..found a very good one two weeks ago simply by following creek to the end and then uphill a few hundred yards to find where it came out of the hillside with just a trickle to reveal a long used wallow

OP
freebird134
Thanks everyone. I have GPS from a bunch of wallows from 2015, but no telling if they are still around. My plan was to focus on the heads/sources of water in dark timber and just put lots of miles on the ground. I know it's really early and we won't find active wallows, but the idea is to monitor the wallow before the elk start using it, then see how elk use (urine, stirring it up, etc) change the wallow and affect the ecosystem. May not work out, but the worst case scenario is that I get to spend extra time in the woods this summer!

ElkNut1

WKR
freebird, speak english as to exactly what that study means to us blue collar guys! I cannot see wallow use leading to anything substantial. We all know why & when they use them. Can you please be more specific.

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
To see the indirect effects of elk on an ecosystem mediated by their wallowing behavior.

This sounds like a study from tree huggers. What if it does affect the ecosystem? What are you going to do about it? Ban elk?

There are far less wallows now that wolves have been reintroduced. Wallow use trending down. Study over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
This sounds like a study from tree huggers. What if it does affect the ecosystem? What are you going to do about it? Ban elk?

I would assume this study will have implications for carrying capacity and thus, how many tags are allowed in a given area. Elk aren't bad for habitat but too many elk can be

muddydogs

WKR
I have a study I need some help with as well. I'm studding the podobber, it's only found in the intestinal track of 6x6 bulls and better so if you have any locations of big bulls I would like to know the GPS coordinates of there last location. All I need to do is visit the area one time to collect a poop sample. I will not keep the GPS coordinates after my visit. If by chance you could get a good pic of the bulls rack that would be great info to go with the poop sample for future reference.

Sure smells a little fishy around these parts.

If the information would be used to suggest there should be less elk, please don't use any information I gave you. We love elk here.

Bar

Banned
I would assume this study will have implications for carrying capacity and thus, how many tags are allowed in a given area. Elk aren't bad for habitat but too many elk can be

You think less elk is a good idea? Not sure that would be less wallows. It would just be less elk using them.

I'd like to know what the wallows are harming and what would be protected without them?

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have a study I need some help with as well. I'm studding the podobber, it's only found in the intestinal track of 6x6 bulls and better so if you have any locations of big bulls I would like to know the GPS coordinates of there last location. All I need to do is visit the area one time to collect a poop sample. I will not keep the GPS coordinates after my visit. If by chance you could get a good pic of the bulls rack that would be great info to go with the poop sample for future reference.

LOL!!! Sounds like you're going to need some of us as "research assistants" 😎