Tips for first time archery mule deer hunt-With specifics

IAMike304

FNG
Always looking for tips/advice for my first mule deer hunt this fall. Would like to put some specifics out there to narrow things down, as well as what I already know/have been told. There have been some great people on here that I have talked to via PM/phone.

-Archery hunting SD, and not the great NW corner(although still West River). Badlands/prairies and possibly some breaks
-Planning for 10 days to hunt. Area is only 8 hours away and plan to spend a long weekend in Aug/Sep to scout
-Planning on early Nov, but flexible, and could change for Oct(NR cant hunt prior to Oct 1 on public)
-Have a spotter and tripod setup(Vortex razor 85mm), have Binos(10x42's)
-Have comfortable clothing for all seasons( I sometimes see all 4 in 1 day here in IA)
-Will be camping in a wall tent, have verified the location(s) I plan to camp
-Have done a ton of E scouting, even though I really have no idea what to look for, when it comes to Mule deer, especially in this terrain. Not a lot of articles cover this terrain.
-Have called and talked to biologist and game warden in the primary area I plan to go

-Planning for failure, but If I can attempt a stalk or 2, it will be a success to me
-Patience. Im horrible at it in general, but usually do 15+ all day sits in a treestand every fall so I have a good start on patience for letting my eyes do most of the work.

That mostly sums it up. I have done homework, and continue to do more on a daily basis. There are always things that you cant find in magazine articles, etc. I see a lot of tips and tricks for newbies on here, and always read them. Most terrain type etc dont seem to fit the type of terrain I will be hunting. Not that it matters too much as its relatively flat country but im 35 yrs old, and not afraid to move. Some of the locations I have been looking at are purposely because of the lack of roads(as much as you can get in SD)

street

WKR
Time behind the glass, cover ground. I would focus on terrain thats broken up. Rocks, drainage, etc. Put your glass to work, drive around the area and glass from the road. Once you've narrowed down the area a little go in to glass from the high points.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't hunted that specific area but have spent lots of time in similar country.

Those areas dont set up like a "high country" hunt like you see on YouTube. One of the most difficult things is that it can be very hard to see where a deer actually beds from your glassing point. You'll see them early and they will drop into a little cut or roll to bed and there is no way to find exactly where they are without being on top of them. Be prepared to move quickly, it's a fine line but when you know where a buck is and he drops in somewhere where he can't see you cover ground fast! They will dig out beds into the side of small cuts that you wouldn't think would hide a rabbit. If you see a buck drop in somewhere use your binos to look into every crack or dark corner to try to pick him up. If you can spot him bedded get the wind right and the stalk can be fairly easy.

Dont overlook seemingly featureless areas. Those prairie deer like the "flat" ground.

Windy and rainy days can be great so dont stay in the tent on bad weather days but instead use them to still hunt/glass the cuts. Deer will be on their feet more throughout the day and hanging out in little sheltered pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigmo101

FNG
Have to have excellent glass!!! On the stalks, let the buck make the last move... will you have a partner or hunt ing solo?

Trial153

WKR
If you blow some deer out in that kind of country and sighting dry up....move. Don't sit on it few days.

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Time behind the glass, cover ground. I would focus on terrain thats broken up. Rocks, drainage, etc. Put your glass to work, drive around the area and glass from the road. Once you've narrowed down the area a little go in to glass from the high points.

Thanks. I plan to be out there prior to season, and hopefully get several glassing spots located. Hopefully deer as well.
Haven't hunted that specific area but have spent lots of time in similar country.

Those areas dont set up like a "high country" hunt like you see on YouTube. One of the most difficult things is that it can be very hard to see where a deer actually beds from your glassing point. You'll see them early and they will drop into a little cut or roll to bed and there is no way to find exactly where they are without being on top of them. Be prepared to move quickly, it's a fine line but when you know where a buck is and he drops in somewhere where he can't see you cover ground fast! They will dig out beds into the side of small cuts that you wouldn't think would hide a rabbit. If you see a buck drop in somewhere use your binos to look into every crack or dark corner to try to pick him up. If you can spot him bedded get the wind right and the stalk can be fairly easy.

Dont overlook seemingly featureless areas. Those prairie deer like the "flat" ground.

Windy and rainy days can be great so dont stay in the tent on bad weather days but instead use them to still hunt/glass the cuts. Deer will be on their feet more throughout the day and hanging out in little sheltered pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome insight. Much appreciated!
Read “Hunting Open Country Mule Deer: A Guide for taking western bucks with rifle and bow”. Written by Dwight Schuh, former editor of Bowhunter Magazine, back in the 80s. Best 15$ I’ve ever spent.

Have it and read it along with Robbies book and a couple others. Definitely taking a lot of that advice into consideration.
Have to have excellent glass!!! On the stalks, let the buck make the last move... will you have a partner or hunt ing solo?

Have good glass. Not the best on the market, but glass I can comfortable look through for an extended amount of time. Spotter and binos. I will be hunting solo.
If you blow some deer out in that kind of country and sighting dry up....move. Don't sit on it few days.

Thanks. Something I hadn't specifically thought about yet.

Thanks everyone that has posted so far! Very much appreciated.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Outback Outdoors have several videos on YouTube of them chasing muleys in similar country in Nebraska. Watch those and see how they do it. Entertaining to watch, they love giving each other a hard time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Outback Outdoors have several videos on YouTube of them chasing muleys in similar country in Nebraska. Watch those and see how they do it. Entertaining to watch, they love giving each other a hard time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks for that! I have been watching an absolute ton of videos, but the majority are high country type hunts. I will check them out for sure!

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Question. You spot a buck bedded in an open area. Everything around is prairie, with no way to get in on him without being seen.

Leave him, or go for it and take it wide? Is there ever a point where you can be within viewing of a deer, but not have them spook? i.e half mile away, he can see you but you are paralleling him and downwind from him, etc.

Or is it not worth blowing him out of there if you cant get around him without being seen? I know the answer for midwest whitetails, I would assume Muleys would be similar but looking for an experienced answer.

I'm not the most successful open country hunter with Mule deer yet, I've been chasing them here in wyo the last 3 years and the deer have given me plenty of learning moments though. In that situation I would find a vantage point where you have a good look at buck then sit and watch. Shadow him as he gets up and maybe he'll mess up and give you an opportunity in different terrain, or at least some sort of feature you can make a move on. If he's absolutely the buck you want, and he doesn't move into more favorable country put him to bed and relocate in the morning. Like I said I'm not the most experienced but I've failed a many a times both being too aggressive and not aggressive enough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
RE: Bow hunting for them? Resist the urge to take a "gimme" shot at some smaller game that you might pass by that's being dumb and just staying there. That arrow will get swallowed up by the Earth, and they are expensive individually speaking.

If you're trying a sit on an abmush location, use your rangefinder and pre-range lots of objects around your FOB to know their distances so you'll know his range when he's standing next to those objects.

Aiming for the correct yardage is critical on Bow! IF he's at 25yds, that DOES NOT mean you put your 20-yard pin on him and let it go. in-between that 20yd and 30yd is an imaginary half-way point that equate to 25yds away targeting. PRactice like crazy at the range aiming for those in-between distances where you hold between two pins on your peep site.

Also practice like crazy shooting them from a kneeling 1-knee and 2-knee position and also while seated on your particular seat solution.

I'd highly recommend a 3D leafy cutout suit be used for concealment. They are straight out magical!

If you miss the deer.. FREEZE... wait... wait until he calms down again and possibly returns his head to the ground for grazing/browsing, or at least turns away from your direction so you slowly draw the bow back again.

If you can not draw your back nice and slowly and stealthily... without grunting or doing wild gyrations like pulling the whole bow downward in order to get you "in there" to be able to handle what is really too high of a draw-weight for you.. then swallow your pride, and re-sight-in all your aiming pins for that newer lowered poundage.

And definitely checkout The "Bow Ninja Hunting" channel on YouTube!

Last edited:

bigmo101

FNG
If you're hunting solo try to look for higher opportunity stalks... alot yourself as much time as possible. Try to gauge if the sun will get him up or will the buck be there for a while. It takes some time to figure out when to go but its worth trying to figure out. There are a lot of variables but food for thought.

Great info here 👍🏻 I'm doing this hunt as well this fall but am going with a buddy. Do glassing/stalking tactics change with two people? Not trying to hijack!

Wapiti1

WKR
Hope for wind and semi-crappy weather. I helps with many things on a stalk.

Patience behind the glass isn't going to be as much an issue as patience on the stalk.

Be prepared to wait until he is in a better position tomorrow.

Be prepared to just give up on a buck if he lives in an impenetrable spot.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
Great info here 👍🏻 I'm doing this hunt as well this fall but am going with a buddy. Do glassing/stalking tactics change with two people? Not trying to hijack!

One guy stays back and keeps the deer in sight. You the stalker, monitor your spotter and he directs you in. Some states allow electronics to be used for communication, others don't, so you need to use hand signals and keep line of sight as best you can.

Another buddy tactic is to figure out the escape route, one guy sets up for the shot and the other gently bumps the deer. If you do it right, he'll sneak out at walk rather than bolt. Skylining a long way off can bump him, or something similar without getting close at all. This is a tactic for a hail mary, or if you have more than one target. It isn't high success, but might be your only option.

Jeremy

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
RE: Bow hunting for them? Resist the urge to take a "gimme" shot at some smaller game that you might pass by that's being dumb and just staying there. That arrow will get swallowed up by the Earth, and they are expensive individually speaking.

If you're trying a sit on an abmush location, use your rangefinder and pre-range lots of objects around your FOB to know their distances so you'll know his range when he's standing next to those objects.

Aiming for the correct yardage is critical on Bow! IF he's at 25yds, that DOES NOT mean you put your 20-yard pin on him and let it go. in-between that 20yd and 30yd is an imaginary half-way point that equate to 25yds away targeting. PRactice like crazy at the range aiming for those in-between distances where you hold between two pins on your peep site.

Also practice like crazy shooting them from a kneeling 1-knee and 2-knee position and also while seated on your particular seat solution.

I'd highly recommend a 3D leafy cutout suit be used for concealment. They are straight out magical!

If you miss the deer.. FREEZE... wait... wait until he calms down again and possibly returns his head to the ground for grazing/browsing, or at least turns away from your direction so you slowly draw the bow back again.

If you can not draw your back nice and slowly and stealthily... without grunting or doing wild gyrations like pulling the whole bow downward in order to get you "in there" to be able to handle what is really too high of a draw-weight for you.. then swallow your pride, and re-sight-in all your aiming pins for that newer lowered poundage.

And definitely checkout The "Bow Ninja Hunting" channel on YouTube!

Thanks. Ive been bow hunting around 25 years. This will be the first time for Mule deer, and in this type of country.
If you're hunting solo try to look for higher opportunity stalks... alot yourself as much time as possible. Try to gauge if the sun will get him up or will the buck be there for a while. It takes some time to figure out when to go but its worth trying to figure out. There are a lot of variables but food for thought.
I think that may be one benefit of going solo. Being able to manage time how I see fit.
Hope for wind and semi-crappy weather. I helps with many things on a stalk.

Patience behind the glass isn't going to be as much an issue as patience on the stalk.

Be prepared to wait until he is in a better position tomorrow.

Be prepared to just give up on a buck if he lives in an impenetrable spot.

Jeremy

Thanks!I think patience on the stalk will be easier for me than patience behind the glass. Ive been working on it glassing fields and such here in Iowa, and just sitting in one location etc. I do probably 15-20 all day sits per year in a treestand for whitetails, so I have some confidence in my patience.