Tips for late season car/truck camping (no hot tents)

How cold we talking? People seem to be really overreacting. Anything above 0F should be a piece of cake as long as you have space to spread out and get a comfortable sleep. Take that $400 and buy a used topper that fits on your pickup. I've spent plenty nights in my topper into the single digits. I use a 15 degree nemo bag with a liner. Then layer if needed. The hot water container (nalgene) trick works. Also the mega warmers from hot hands can be legit too.

I'm a big fan of a hot tent, but that's only because it's practical for me at this point in my life and for the hunts I do. We rarely use the heater at night if it's above 0. Usually for a bit in the evening before bed and then reach my arm out in the morning to take the edge off. I have an Arctic Oven and a cimmaron. I'd sleep in my topper 10/10 times over sleeping in the cimmaron if I had the option.

Last edited:
How cold we talking? People seem to be really overreacting. Anything above 0F should be a piece of cake as long as you have space to spread out and get a comfortable sleep. Take that $400 and buy a used topper that fits on your pickup. I've spent plenty nights in my topper into the single digits. I use a 15 degree nemo bag with a liner. Then layer if needed. The hot water container (nalgene) trick works. Also the mega warmers from hot hands can be legit too.

I'm a big fan of a hot tent, but that's only because it's practical for me at this point in my life and for the hunts I do. We rarely use the heater at night if it's above 0. Usually for a bit in the evening before bed and then reach my arm out in the morning to take the edge off. I have an Arctic Oven and a cimmaron. I'd sleep in my topper 10/10 times over sleeping in the cimmaron if I had the option.

Do you mind posting what Nemo bag you use? I used a Kelty Mistral 20 on our hunting trip and it failed miserably keeping me warm.

def90

WKR
A good thick insulating pad between you and the ground. The ground will suck any heat right out of you if you don't have something under you to break the thermal bridging. Other than that I've slept down in to the low 30's using a 45 degree bag and wearing some fleece sweat pants and a puffy jacket topped off with a beanie that was long enough to pull all the way down over my face and ears.

What pad are you using? Losing heat to the ground probably had more to do with it than the bag.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
We used an air mattress and I had a Thermarest Z Lite on top of that. The R value of the pad is 1.7 which is not great and it got down to about 32 deg at night.

For serious cold my bivy shelter is a hammock. A small space is easy to keep warm in with the right insulation BUT there's a learning curve.

IMG_0271.jpgIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

If I am driving to different spots then my Kodiak Canvas truck tent makes for a decent shelter and if the road isn't overgrown I can leave it up and drive.
59285390_10218742199167181_2032968631498833920_n.jpg59366919_10218742198727170_2183393113647611904_o.jpg59941524_10218742198927175_4867218039755505664_n.jpg

shwacker

FNG
Boot, sock, and foot care always helps me stay in the game. Keep the socks and insoles in my bag by my torso overnight to dry and warm.

Sleeping on the ground, a sleeping pad is way more important than sleeping bag. Don't be afraid to double up on pads, like a blue one then an inflatable.

I would not run a stove or heater inside a car or tent (though I have done it, not worth the CO poisoning IMO). I also wouldn't bother with a fire. Get back to camp, eat, hydrate, and get into the bag.

The hot water bottle in the bag is the way. Plus then you have some liquid water in the morning.

Obviously pooping is into wag bags as the ground may be frozen (better for everyone anyway, unless there's a pit toilet).

Good advice about having your return to camp and morning routines dialed. Most especially food and hydration.

A good book can go a long ways.

And a couple of hand warmers for field dressing/quartering.

Have fun!

dtrkyman

WKR
When I truck camp in January I sleep in the back of my Grand Cherokee on that Milliard tri fold mattress, zero degree down bag, I am a cold sleeper and do fine, if I get cold and can't sleep I always keep my keys inside my bag and remothe start the jeep!

Need try the hot water bottle trick. I have also double bagged, I have a larger square cabelas flannel line bag, and slip inside of it with another mummy bag.

Temps down into the single digits.

Fordguy

WKR
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this- maybe I'm the only one whose parents made the kids do this. In the fall, they told us each to go find a rock about the size of our heads. We cleaned them, and would set them in front of the fireplace for a few hours before bed, then wrap them in a pillowcase and tuck them under the covers to keep our feet warm. Most mornings the rock was still warm. I bet the old hot rock trick would work pretty well in a sleeping bag, just don't let it get too hot before you wrap it for use.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
With upcoming plans to hunt 3rd season rifle (Nov 12-18) here in CO, I was wondering what tips/hacks people have for a more comfortable and efficient camp without a wall tent or tipi.

My plan is to sleep in my vehicle and move camp as needed depending on what we are seeing. I will be with two buddies for a few days and probably solo for the rest.

Given the limited space to spread out and the main heat source being an open campfire, what have you found to work well in simple, late-season, vehicle-based camps?

Ozark trail instant cabin tent w/ led, buddy heater, a cot and a rug for the floor of your tent. Packs an unpacks in minutes, fits in the car/truck easily and will be 10x better than sleeping in the car/truck.

Ehunter

FNG
I would take a pop cover that you set over your camp shell. A dry place to stand up and get dressed or even to set down and eat. I take a big tarp I can wrap around it to cut the wind.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any chance he would go on tundra talk and share the story? I was in camp when he came in with it, dudes a stud.

@downthepipe I don't have it yet, but planning to upgrade from a sedan to an xterra in the next few weeks.
My daughter and I did a month long road trip here in Alaska last summer. We were driving and sleeping in an Xterra. We also had all of our gear for a sheep hunt with us, so it’s similar to the gear set up you will be carrying in Co 3rd season. BTW, I’ve hunted the Co 3rd season twice(both times in wall tents with wood stoves).

Roomwise, the Xterra was ttight but liveable. I’m 6’0” and 200 pounds. She is 13 years old and about 85 pounds.

Two recommendations: remove the rear seats and leave them at home. They take up a lot of space, especially head/foot room. You’ll need a piece of plywood to extend the sleeping area, unless you fill the seat well with gear and level it.

Second, use a 2” piece of rigid foam insulation(the pink board) under your sleeping pad. This will help a ton with keeping you warm, and it will level out the Xterra floor, which is unbelievably unyielding.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

You will need two windows cracked for cross ventilation. The wind deflectors that attach to the door will keep rain out even when the windows are cracked.

A warm bag, or a bag+ quilt or whatever will be fine. The Colorado high country is unbelievably cold during the 3rd season, but it’s still nothing compared to what a lot of guys hunt and trap in.

A water bottle full of warm water placed at the bottom of your sleeping bag would be nice. In an emergency you could start the truck up and run the heater to warm up.(you won’t need to though...)

A dome tent to store your gear in might come in handy.

A single burner stove or a jet boil would be an awesome thing to have.

Two coolers: one for keeping the cold stuff at a consistent cold temp, and another to keep your water, milk, eggs and bread from freezing.

Easy to cook hot food would be nice. A warm meal at the end of a long cold day can really make the difference. You can splurge here as weight won’t matter.

I’m excited for you. Ignore the naysayers. You are going to have a blast.

mtnkid85

WKR
With upcoming plans to hunt 3rd season rifle (Nov 12-18) here in CO, I was wondering what tips/hacks people have for a more comfortable and efficient camp without a wall tent or tipi.

My plan is to sleep in my vehicle and move camp as needed depending on what we are seeing. I will be with two buddies for a few days and probably solo for the rest.

Given the limited space to spread out and the main heat source being an open campfire, what have you found to work well in simple, late-season, vehicle-based camps?
I sleep in my pickup most of the time.
I use a memory foam mattress topper, my huge rectangular sleeping bag and two full size pillows. I legit get my best nights sleep in the back of my truck when its cold.
Bringing enough pairs of boots to be able to swap them out every day so you can where a fresh pair while the others dry out helps.
Also I like to use a simple jetfoil for coffee in the morning. Ill make coffee and oatmeal right from bed, then get dressed put on my boots, get out and Im gone in the morning. No dicking around outside of the truck.