Tips for Neutralizing Fishy Flavor

Fordguy

WKR
The fats in certain types of fish will break down despite being kept frozen. For the love of all that's holy, don't try freezing/thawing eating bluefish...

To help cover/mask the flavor of anything fishy- try something acidic. Lemon, tomato, even a pickling brine with vinegar as someone already suggested. Good luck.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Those red meat tunas don't eat well. We have a lot of bonito/false abacore/little tuny around here and the meat is red - they make really good bottom fish bait. They also fight like there is no tomorrow and for them, there isn't - either get filleted and put on a hook or thrown on ice to get filleted & vac sealed to be used for bait.

I don't get many mahi but do get some snapper, sea trout, redfish, sea bass, etc. White meat fish and freeze em. My fav has to be red snapper and red fish.

We also keep a bunch of kingfish, which has a little flavor to it, but we like it - not bland tasting - very nearly white meat. Just had some yesterday that was caught last July. Wife made a teriyaki sauce and was good. Flaky texture. I prefer it over wahoo - wahoo has a muscular texture and absolutely no flavor. Both fight well.

That stuff in your freezer might make someone good bait - catfish, crab trap, etc.

xsn10s

WKR
Soak in milk for 1/2 hour to an hour
It's what i do with larger catfish. I'm thinking this is worth a try. At the worst the cats and dogs will love it. I sometimes give the cats and dogs trout. They seem to prefer it to sashimi!

Fordguy

WKR
Those red meat tunas don't eat well. We have a lot of bonito/false abacore/little tuny around here and the meat is red - they make really good bottom fish bait. They also fight like there is no tomorrow and for them, there isn't - either get filleted and put on a hook or thrown on ice to get filleted & vac sealed to be used for bait.

I don't get many mahi but do get some snapper, sea trout, redfish, sea bass, etc. White meat fish and freeze em. My fav has to be red snapper and red fish.

We also keep a bunch of kingfish, which has a little flavor to it, but we like it - not bland tasting - very nearly white meat. Just had some yesterday that was caught last July. Wife made a teriyaki sauce and was good. Flaky texture. I prefer it over wahoo - wahoo has a muscular texture and absolutely no flavor. Both fight well.

That stuff in your freezer might make someone good bait - catfish, crab trap, etc.
I really enjoy kings, much more than Spanish macks- but I do try to follow the fish advisories and kings are one of the high mercury fish.

I've wanted to try bonito for a while. I know people who really like it. There's definitely more than one kind of "fishy" flavor. Call it "good fishy" and "bad fishy" lol. The last time I had cobia, it was so mild that there was almost no flavor. I was a little disappointed.

Rich M

WKR
I really enjoy kings, much more than Spanish macks- but I do try to follow the fish advisories and kings are one of the high mercury fish.

I've wanted to try bonito for a while. I know people who really like it. There's definitely more than one kind of "fishy" flavor. Call it "good fishy" and "bad fishy" lol. The last time I had cobia, it was so mild that there was almost no flavor. I was a little disappointed.
10-4 on the mercury. Most of the kings we get are smaller fish, say 40 inches and less. I don't really want to eat one over say 20#.

Not familiar with the fish you ask about. I have found in any fish with the "bloodline" that runs down the side of the fish, if you leave it in there, you will get fishy taste. When I am preparing fish, I cut the "top" and the "bottom" part of the slab, removing the red line in the middle and pitching it in the trash. If your fish doesn't have the red bloodline, then I can't offer any suggestions. I can't stand eating fish with that fishy taste.

OP
Nickofthewoods
Well these are nasty too just like the aku sticks. I just found these in garage fridge, my wife also brought these back from Hawaii in February and they have also become dog treats. The fishy taste is in unbearable. Just skip eating any Skip Jack.0503222107.jpg0503222107a~2.jpg