Tips for selling and avoiding scammers

TheCougar

WKR
There have been a lot of threads floating around recently about scammers hitting Rokslide members. It seems that not only have the numbers gone up, but their methods are improving to the point of fooling experienced buyers/sellers. I’d like to get folks to throw in their best practices and tips to avoid getting scammed. This issue seems to be more prevalent when you are selling something, as typically the buyer protections seem to trump the seller protections, at least for PayPal.

In my specific case, I’m going to be selling about $1200-1500 worth of ammunition. I’ve not sold ammo before, and I can do it either here or GunBroker. If anyone is an experienced seller for ammunition, I’d like to hear your methods for making sure your sale is safe. I know PP doesn’t guarantee gun or ammunition purchases, so I was thinking that might be safe as a seller since the buyer has no recourse when purchasing these items. Other options might be a cashiers check and holding on to the ammunition until the cashiers check clears, but this puts the buyer in an awkward position of waiting for the check to be mailed and deposited. GunBroker seems to be another option, as they have a credit card service and seem to act as an intermediary, but then you open yourself up to credit card fraud.

Feel free to chip in with any techniques or lessons learned, both transactions on Rokslide and any other venue Roksliders might frequent.

Nuke Man

WKR
Never dealt with ammo, but everything I've bought and sold here has been with either cash or check if under a couple hundred. If over a USPS money order is the route I go. I dont ship, or expect shipment until the funds clear. I despise paypal and to this day cant understand why everyone does business through them.

I’ve sold a lot of things over the years and always trusted folks on these type of websites. About 90% have sent me personal checks and never had an issue, I wait til I get them then ship the item.
After reading about all the issues lately I will probably insist on a USPS money order as I hear there’s some kind of risk in bank money orders.

I’m not too interested in dealing with PayPal.

I think the purchaser has a lot more risk and can get scammed much easier.

freddyG

WKR
Using PayPal for their forbidden items may get your account frozen for who knows how long. Their customer service is nonexistent. It’s a very serious risk. Then you have only one choice, court.

I'm an idiot who fell for recently fell for a scam... here are my lessons learned (the hard way):

1. WTB ads are very risky as these dirtbags will reach out to you. Some are very convincing and knowledgeable about the product. They don't actually have the item to sell but will BS you with pictures, condition etc.
2. Feedback and Posts can be misleading. My dirtbag had feedback and posts which convinced me. Had I done a bit more digging I would have seen these posts and feedback were fluff or made by other scam accounts.
3. Highly recommend calling them - you can get a better gauge on the type of person you are dealing with and if they are legit.

I was scammed on another forum but that same dirtbag made his rounds on Rokslide last week. Look out for each other as this is a great community. I've bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of outdoor gear on various forums and this was the first time I was burned.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I’ve been pretty active in last 18 months on this and one other forum and Facebook for probably 30-40 transactions both buying and selling. Most little but a few in the few thousand $$ range. I think I’ve been lucky because I haven’t had an issue yet.

I do use PP when I can. I do use G&S if I’m spending over about $200. I also research the prospective sellers recent forum activity and like to see posts of other sales and something dating back more than a few months. I have also PMd folks that have bought from sellers before to ask how the transaction went. Obviously the more money at risk the more research I do.

I almost always try and do FaceTime or phone call if the price tag is up to actually see the product and make sure we are on the same page for how the transaction will go.

most recently I bought ammo from a gentleman who would only except check or Usps money order. I was a bit uncomfortable with it but only $150. I shot him a check and the day I told him I sent it he said he mailed the ammo. I was really surprised. He assumed a ton of risk there. But it all went fine. I personally don’t recommend what he did but I’m assuming it hasn’t burned him yet.

good luck.

14idaho

FNG
I purchased a rifle last year and the seller wanted cash and of course I was leary. I had him take it to his local gun shop and have them contact me. Worked out fine plus I was able to talk to the gunsmith prior to completing the deal regarding the condition etc.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I'm an idiot who fell for recently fell for a scam... here are my lessons learned (the hard way):

1. WTB ads are very risky as these dirtbags will reach out to you. Some are very convincing and knowledgeable about the product. They don't actually have the item to sell but will BS you with pictures, condition etc.
2. Feedback and Posts can be misleading. My dirtbag had feedback and posts which convinced me. Had I done a bit more digging I would have seen these posts and feedback were fluff or made by other scam accounts.
3. Highly recommend calling them - you can get a better gauge on the type of person you are dealing with and if they are legit.

I was scammed on another forum but that same dirtbag made his rounds on Rokslide last week. Look out for each other as this is a great community. I've bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of outdoor gear on various forums and this was the first time I was burned.
As in, you posted a WTB ad and they responded with the product to sell?

BFR

WKR
Guntab.com, its been mentioned here on other posts. Not many known about it but it works like OfferUp, the sale is handled by them, billing etc then they hold funds for 3 days after delivery for buyers inspection then funds are released. There is a 2.5% fee but that can be worked out between both parties.
I’ve had USPS MO’s, Certified checks and Cashiers checks that were phony as a 7$ bill. Whenever that is the buyers method, I don’t ship until my bank clears them. If I’m unsure I’ve even called the bank they are drawn on to verify the account.

Maki35

WKR
I've sold ammo, guns, hunting cloths & gear on various sites.
Have you considered selling the ammo on your local forum? It's a lot more simple & the transaction can be done in cash. I've brought & sold guns & ammo on the local forums in my area. It eliminates the hassle of shipping & payment method. Because members are local & the transaction is always cash in hand. (plus most members are honest guys as we're always conversing with one another.)

But if you're willing to shipping the ammo. I would suggest going with USPS Money Order or something like Venmo as a payment method.
Whatever method you choose, always make sure the money clears/hits your acct before shipping the item.
Fraud can happen with any form of payment. There has been fraudulent USPS M.O., cert checks, & paypal payments (google search it.)
I had a paypal payment go bad on me once.
You can even get screwed by someone with counterfeit bills.

Are you aware USPS does not ship ammo (its considered Hazardous Materials). Your "local" UPS & FedEx probably won't accept it either. You'll need to go to one of the UPS/ FedEx Hubs to have it shipped.

Last edited:
I just started using gunbroker two months ago and it's surprisingly painless. I've sold a little over $5k in ammo and only had one buyer that never paid/responded after winning the item. Don't ship anything until you have been paid in full and everything will be just fine. Ive accepted Money order, Gunbroker pay, , venmo, and PayPal with no issues.
If you're thinking of selling ammo in Rokslide, thoroughly check the buyers post history. My experiences so far have been that most of the ammo purchasers on here are strictly for resale purposes, not guys actually trying to find ammo for themselves.

dtrkyman

WKR
On another note, leave feedback, I have a hand full of sales on here and zero feedback. AT changed their format and hosed everyone with losing all the feedback, I had 100% positive and probably 50 plus transactions!

I like to at least text and If it were a high priced item a phone call or some other type communication.

Rob5589

WKR
Ammo I generally sell locally. PP, as much as I hate them, is convenient for non guns/ammo sales. I have used a bunch of USPS money orders over the years without issues. I make sure to cash them at the post office prior to shipping.

Vandy321

WKR
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Ensure payment hits your account, then ship. Easy.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I've sold ammo, guns, hunting cloths & gear on various sites.
Have you considered selling the ammo on your local forum? It's a lot more simple & the transaction can be done in cash. I've brought & sold guns & ammo on the local forums in my area. It eliminates the hassle of shipping & payment method. Because members are local & the transaction is always cash in hand. (plus most members are honest guys as we're always conversing with one another.)

But if you're willing to shipping the ammo. I would suggest going with USPS Money Order or something like Venmo as a payment method.
Whatever method you choose, always make sure the money clears/hits your acct before shipping the item.
Fraud can happen with any form of payment. There has been fraudulent USPS M.O., cert checks, & paypal payments (google search it.)
I had a paypal payment go bad on me once.
You can even get screwed by someone with counterfeit bills.

Are you aware USPS does not ship ammo (its considered Hazardous Materials). Your "local" UPS & FedEx probably won't accept it either. You'll need to go to one of the UPS/ FedEx Hubs to have it shipped.
Yes, tracking this. I’ve read that rather than drive to a hub, you can have a UPS driver pick up the package directly. See here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/shipping-ammo-private-private.203315/

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I just started using gunbroker two months ago and it's surprisingly painless. I've sold a little over $5k in ammo and only had one buyer that never paid/responded after winning the item. Don't ship anything until you have been paid in full and everything will be just fine. Ive accepted Money order, Gunbroker pay, , venmo, and PayPal with no issues.
If you're thinking of selling ammo in Rokslide, thoroughly check the buyers post history. My experiences so far have been that most of the ammo purchasers on here are strictly for resale purposes, not guys actually trying to find ammo for themselves.
I’d like to try and sell it to a Rokslide member who has a need for the ammo, at a reasonable price. I got a good deal and I’d rather sell it here to a Hunter than to a gunbroker reseller.