Tips for Stripers

hobbes

WKR
Something else to keep in mind. Stripers aren't your everyday largemouth bass. You need stout equipment. The biggest I ever caught was 11 pounds so nowhere near the fish as above, but 5 and 6 lb stripers can trash a standard low budget rod and reel. I saw lots of guys show up with med action spinning and bait cast set ups that would not cut it. They couldn't cast the distance needed on most days in the tailwaters, the heavy lead and head shaking stripers were more than their rod could handle, and their drag couldn't take the pounding a striper can give. I think we were all new to them then and had to learn the hard way.

alonsom10

FNG
I fish for stripers regularly here in the West Coast. The joebaggs swarter is a killer. But there are too many options out there, swim baits, sp minnows, spoons, bucktails and the most effective, live bait.

First you need to learn how to catch skipjack. Then use a Santee catfish rig, (basic Carolina rig with a float added to keep the bait just off the bottom). Use fresh skipjack not frozen. Throw it the deeper channels and wait. Get on youtube and find catfish Dave and watch some of his catfishing videos. You will catch some catfish with the same rig but that's a bad thing as they pull good too. Use a big chunk of skipjack, the head cut is best.

PA Hunter

WKR
We catch 20-50 pounders off Jersey , I troll from my boat 6 in chartreuse shad umbrella rigs. Also live line bunker and eels. Very tasty fish from saltwater. Can’t forget tossing clams at them especially if you find a friendly clamming troller who will let you near them to fish in their backwash.