Tips for transporting your harvest home?

I've considered flying for my big game hunts but the meat transport is the issue I've been hung up on. I understand its not a problem flying and the information I've found on here has been really helpful. From what I've read most recommend freezing the meat for the flight. Are you just freezing the meat quartered or are you deboning and processing the meat. Also any tips on how your able to get the meat frozen if your out of state on a back country DIY hunt.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I've considered flying for my big game hunts but the meat transport is the issue I've been hung up on. I understand its not a problem flying and the information I've found on here has been really helpful. From what I've read most recommend freezing the meat for the flight. Are you just freezing the meat quartered or are you deboning and processing the meat. Also any tips on how your able to get the meat frozen if your out of state on a back country DIY hunt.
I had my pronghorn meat frozen while deboned but still in quarters. I had the local processor wrap it up and get it frozen for me. I'm not sure what the shortest amount of time needed to get the meat frozen is. I guess this could depend on the processor and their freezer. You could get it frozen yourself with dry ice I assume. I just haven't done it. If you fly on an airline that allows you to check dry ice then that should work. Even though mine was frozen I still put some dry ice in the cooler with it to be safe.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We flew 3 Caribou home from Alaska in a cardboard box unfrozen and changed planes twice without issue.
I've flown boned out unfrozen deer home from the Midwest in my luggage in a dry bag without issue.
To each thier own but sounds like many are over thinking it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Bring a few rolls of Duct tape. Buy the cheap foam coolers when you get to your location. Completely wrap the foam coolers with the Duct tape, a little dry ice and your good to go. This will be cheap, lightweight and strong enough for the airline journey back home. I have done this a dozen times.

Did dry ice effect the meat? I would have assumed it would be an instant freezer burn scenario....