Tips on Getting People to Hunt With

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
A couple things that happened this week lead me to believe this might be a good idea. That’s not to say I will do a good job. In fact I’m not confident it will go over well. But, if it starts s conversation and thoughtful contributions improve on it, I’ll feel I did a good thing.

So first a noob who probably had good intentions posted on RS for a Western hunting buddy. Usual stuff, “I’m real fit, you must be too, etc.” He was flamed mercilessly and didn’t take it well, aka, you guys aren’t friendly. Second, my twenty’s daughter mocked me saying “You’re going hunting for 10 days with who???, where did you meet, ElkLoversOnly.com?” So combine those thoughts and the result is this post. Like a dating site, tips on how to do this will be good for all.

At this point I fully expect some ribbing. It’s ok I’m going on anyway.

Missahba’s How to Meet a New Hunting __________ [fill in term of choice: bru, pal, bud, etc].

Your post should provide:
1. home and desired hunting locations
2. lodge, RV, truck camp, backcountry
3. guided or DIY
4. drive or fly from home to location
5. pack-in method: fly, animal, hike
6. species
7. year you are planning to hunt
8. Your budget all-in
9. vitals: age, height/weight, or BMI or height:waist ratio. (a proxy for fitness level)
10. occupation, or general description of the kind of work you do or did, or possibly your education, degree or license
11. limited family info if you like, married or not, kids and age range, aka, toddlers, grade schoolers, etc.
12. looking for a small group or just one
13. your experience doing this kind of hunt
14. briefly your experience that in some way prepares you for this
15. if not backcountry , how / where do you like to eat. self cooking in camp, restaurants, a camp cook cooking etc.
16. what was the most mentally trying group experience you had that you handled well, didn’t quit, and did more than your share to get the group through it
17. what type 2 fun activity do you practice
18. do you hunt trophies or meat
19. why aren’t you doing this trip with family or hunting group from home
20. what makes you someone I would spend 56 hours with in a truck, and 10 days in the woods (or whatever)
21. your cell phone number, or a positive invite to PM you for it so live contact can start immediately.

Ok. That’s all I have time for now. I will add a post about what to do once you get an initial response.

pirogue

WKR
I think if you had a questionnaire of 50 topics, and you think you found the ideal hunting partner, one day in the woods, or one night at camp, could ensure the end of that potential partnership.

OP
Missahba

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I left out the whole draw aspect. That’s a sublist of 20 right there. I will get back and edit in a # for OTC or Draw. If Draw, points u have if applicable. Keep in mind this is a conversation starter not a calculator. Nobody is going to make a decision based on these answers. It’s a meeting agenda. Food for thought. If you’re the poster or the reader, there are clues here. Everyone is looking for a fit. It’s in the substantive information but also in the subtext. Hiw does he write? Which topics is he going on about or short on? Is he asking questions or talking about himself? It’s just like getting to know and trust anyone.

I’ve never hunted with anyone that I didn’t fish with first. The reason is it helps me gauge how much I like being around them in close quarters (boat). How much do they contribute? How much do they help? Are they independent, or can they at least pick things up quick? Are they able to teach me anything? DID THEY TAKE ANYONE TO MY SPOTS AFTERWARDS? Could they lay off the booze? How much did they value their catch?

Fishing spots are way easier to come by than hunting spots and I can fish all year. If I’m gonna dedicate what precious weeks I have to hunt to someone, I don’t want it to be a drag.

OP
Missahba

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never hunted with anyone that I didn’t fish with first. The reason is it helps me gauge how much I like being around them in close quarters (boat). How much do they contribute? How much do they help? Are they independent, or can they at least pick things up quick? Are they able to teach me anything? DID THEY TAKE ANYONE TO MY SPOTS AFTERWARDS? Could they lay off the booze? How much did they value their catch?

Fishing spots are way easier to come by than hunting spots and I can fish all year. If I’m gonna dedicate what precious weeks I have to hunt to someone, I don’t want it to be a drag.
Along the same line of thinking as playing golf before getting into a business deal with or hiring someone. So I’ve heard. Their integrity and composure on the course is a prologue.

I've personally hunted with two people I met off Rokslide. We started off as total strangers and have become dear friends over the past few years. We have our differences, sure, but nothing that's a showstopper.

Ironically, social media has stripped away the 'communities' we, as humans, rely on. Besides weight lifting, hunting is my only hobby and having a community of friends within that space is really healthy, imo.

For me, sharing experiences with people is more important than having experiences for myself. I suspect that when I'm on my deathbed I'll be thankful for that sentiment.

If someone came at me with a 21 line questionnaire I would think they were nuts and too uptight to get a beer with, let alone hunt with.

Here's a pro-tip folks, no one out there is perfect, you aren't either, focus on a couple of the big characteristics and go hunt and realize you're human and have fun. If it doesn't work out, learn from it and move on.

I've posted on here before how I've met no less than a half dozen good dudes I'd go on an elk hunt with any time. Get out there, meet folks, yuck it up and have fun.

OP
Missahba

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Just to clarify, it’s a self-disclosure list. Not a question list. Readers self select based on it and disclose in response. I agree 100% with ftf meetups over beer. Second best video meet. Third phone. 4the text. Worst DM. Trying to assist the challenged here. Appreciate your post @Dos Perros

This is an interesting concept. It's a place to start anyway. I hunted geese with a friend for 4-5 years before we looked at the compatibility of hunting big game. We hunted my areas for another 3-4 years before we hunted his areas. We were hunting partners for 18 years before he was killed on the job.

I dated for about 6 years after I got divorced before I found a keeper. By then I wasn't sure I wanted one. It's harder to find a hunting partner than a wife so don't get your hopes up for an immediate success.

I usually hunt the first week by myself. It's really scouting with a gun or an exercise program for my horse and me. It usually entails 10-12 miles on the horse and another 2-3 miles on shanks mare per day. Since it was too far to walk, my areas were reasonably safe from pirateing, I would occasionaly accept a willing participant to accompany me. I found that most had more imagination of their physical limits than skills and endurance.

After a while the willing participants dwindeled to nothing. I have found over the years that the majority of hunters have an attention span for hunting of about 3 days on rolling hills in warm weather or two weeks on a quad.

I wish you luck in the search but don't get your hopes too high.

You forgot -- do you sleep naked and how ya feel about sharing a sleeping bag. Tip choose who you hunt with as you would a wife even then it does not work out well.

JonnyB

WKR
It's been a few months since anything has been added here, but I would like to offer my experience/perspective.

Having previously been afforded the privilege to work alongside some of the absolute best (and absolute worst) men and women this country has to offer during my ten years in the military, the people around you in austere environments can quite literally be the difference in coming home with your bag and coming home in it. Even though we are talking about hunting, the same sentiment applies because we all know how harsh nature can be.

I don't have a positive outlook on the prospect of finding hunting partners online, however, it could end up like vetting folks when using the classifieds. In the same idea of classifieds, transactions (hunting trips in this case) over time would start to serve as a peer review and build a profile on its own for the individual. In my mind it would end up being similar to AirBnb or ride share apps, etc. My problem is, I can't just up and leave when/if the need arises like I can when pulling up to a property that was poorly advertised. This idea could work but due diligence becomes even more of a priority.

IDShane

WKR
One of the main reasons that I finally set up a profile on Rokslide was to hopefully find some local hunting friends. Since moving to the Boise area from NW Wisconsin it has been hard to get hooked up with people to hunt with. It really seems as though there is an abundance of people on this website that are looking to find people to hunt, hang out and maybe shoot with. If Rokslide decided to set up some thing where you had to set up some sort of profile to find people to hunt with I think it would be a great service to many on this website.

400orBust

FNG
Interesting thoughts. I've also posted looking on RS for a hunting partner. When you get too specific (like mine apparently is) the pool gets pretty small but I guess if you do find someone the chances are higher that you might make it through a hunt together.

WKR
I raised my own. Now with a sheep tag, I've got two athletic 20 somethings with good attitudes and some woods smarts. It takes patience lol.

bgipson

FNG
My only 3 hunting buddies that aren't family I found through a waterfowl forum years ago. We started with a pigeon shoot and things have progressed to big game in the years since. I'll be taking 1 of the guys son for his 2nd cow elk this year. Getting to "guide" him to his 1st in 2020 was pretty special and his boy still ribs him that he got an elk before dad.

If I didn't have the number of family and friends into the outdoors as I do, I really don't know how I'd go about finding someone reliable enough to share my experience with.