Tips on narrowing large hunt areas to find spots?

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Once again I didn’t draw an antelope permit in SW MT where we usually hunt, but a young lady I am mentoring drew a region 7 permit so I would like to take her and help her fill tag/take her first big game animal. I’ve hunted Region 7 a little bit for mulies but never for antelope. Does anyone have tips on narrowing such a large area down to manageable options to pick spots to hunt?

I am not asking for anyone’s spots, exactly where to go, or anything else which is so common on hunting forums. Rather, tips on how to figure out spots in a slightly familiar area but basically starting at square one.

Yes, I know it’s a bit late to start the process but it’s not my tag so I don’t have control over the timing, I just want to help a brand new hunter find success to kick off her first season. On the ground scouting is probably out due to the looong drive to the other side of the state and the associated costs and time off work reserved for hunting during the seasons.

I’ve mostly hunted antelope in the same couple of units since I was a kid, so I’ve never had to scout new areas for it and I am not sure how to begin in an efficient/effective manner.

Any help would be appreciated!
Fin

Rich M

WKR
Go the day before, see the goats and shoot one on opening day.

If she wants to wait for some point in the middle of the season, go see goats, try to get close and shoot one.

You said you've done this before.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Go the day before, see the goats and shoot one on opening day.

If she wants to wait for some point in the middle of the season, go see goats, try to get close and shoot one.

You said you've done this before.
I didn’t ask how to hunt or kill an antelope, I asked for tips that people use to narrow down a giant region to specific areas to check out so you have a plan and specific destination to head to when the season starts.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope can exist on just about any piece of public land in eastern Montana. Find a route you can drive that gives you a good view of several pieces of public and go hunting. It’s really just about covering ground until you find a buck you like and going after him. If you wanna avoid the crowds go sometime after opening day. R7 can get pretty western early

Laramie

WKR
I'm a fan of the map and dart method. It has worked as well as the ask a forum and hope method.

In all seriousness, call the area game warden and or the biologist. I'm sure they would be glad to offer some suggestions that could be trusted. That actually has worked very well for me in the past.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope water 2x/day. Find water. Work from there.

Antelope can exist on just about any piece of public land in eastern Montana. Find a route you can drive that gives you a good view of several pieces of public and go hunting. It’s really just about covering ground until you find a buck you like and going after him. If you wanna avoid the crowds go sometime after opening day. R7 can get pretty western early

Find water. Burn gas and cover country!

I'm a fan of the map and dart method. It has worked as well as the ask a forum and hope method.

In all seriousness, call the area game warden and or the biologist. I'm sure they would be glad to offer some suggestions that could be trusted. That actually has worked very well for me in the past.
Thanks guys. That’s what I’ve done for mulies over there, so I’ll just be transient until we find some critters. It’s just such a large area I was trying to plan it out a bit but I’ll continue to mark larger public areas and bounce around. We are camping so pretty easy to move.

Laramie

WKR
Thanks guys. That’s what I’ve done for mulies over there, so I’ll just be transient until we find some critters. It’s just such a large area I was trying to plan it out a bit but I’ll continue to mark larger public areas and bounce around. We are camping so pretty easy to move.
Seriously, call a warden. The last time I did that in a new area, a warden sent me to a specific drainage and I had an elk on the ground in less than 24 hours. It's their job to help hunters- they don't just enforce rules. Be nice, respectful, and appreciative and most will steer you exactly where you need to go- likely saving a couple tanks of gas.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously, call a warden. The last time I did that in a new area, a warden sent me to a specific drainage and I had an elk on the ground in less than 24 hours. It's their job to help hunters- they don't just enforce rules. Be nice, respectful, and appreciative and most will steer you exactly where you need to go- likely saving a couple tanks of gas.
I meant to respond to that, I definitely will and I know a Warden over there.

Rich M

WKR
I didn’t ask how to hunt or kill an antelope, I asked for tips that people use to narrow down a giant region to specific areas to check out so you have a plan and specific destination to head to when the season starts.
Guess I wasn’t too far off?

have fun. Don’t overthink it.

sndmn11

WKR
I have found the gas stations that are nowhere and look like they aren't tourist traps to be a good place to stop and grab a Coke while BSing about those pesky phorns.