Tire Chains Specifically for Mud

BCsteve

WKR
If you only have 2 chains, one front and one rear is a good option to keep both ends of the truck on the road. My PW had lockers front and rear so it's a good option for me. However I have done it with open diff and even seen it done on 2wd vehicles with success.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It might keep the vehicle on the road but you're forcing the differential to send the power to the wheels with no chain. Unless you're running lockers front and rear how don't see how that would work.

Brendan

WKR
It might keep the vehicle on the road but you're forcing the differential to send the power to the wheels with no chain. Unless you're running lockers front and rear how don't see how that would work.

Will help for braking and steering, and most trucks have limited slip or some form of traction control at least in the rear. Not ideal, but I can see how it'd help.

Extrapale

WKR
Your mileage may vary. Just sharing my experiences.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard horror stories of the gumbo mud. This year in Eastern Montana, I learned that they are true. I will be experimenting with 4 tire chains on my Tundra this spring. Even though tire chains don’t work in that stuff. I did learn that if you can’t steer, chains only on the back don’t help much

OP
Nickofthewoods
Since this thread popped back up I'll update it. I ended up getting 2 sets of standard chains (not V Bar) so I can chain up all 4 tires if needed. It's been almost 2 years and I haven't had to use them yet so it's been a peace of mind purchase so far.

mac53

FNG
am going out to Elk Head Mountain to do some elk hunting and have a 2-wheel drive truck (don't really need 4-wheel drive where I live) so have been thinking about chains.
So will chains be a good investment?
Buying a new truck is not feasible at this time.

49ereric

WKR
am going out to Elk Head Mountain to do some elk hunting and have a 2-wheel drive truck (don't really need 4-wheel drive where I live) so have been thinking about chains.
Chains and good rear positive diff are your only options it seems.
I ran chains decades ago on an old two wheel drive 62 ford pu with a spicer power-lok rear diff and went anywhere until the snow got deep but no mountains here.

Bring 4wd and chains if you are going 2nd rifle or later. Don't plan on making it up there (or out!) if it snows without them.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
Thanks for that input, definitely not looking to chew up the roads, but more as you described, a backup for extraction when conditions get bad.
Western Colorado shale and bentonite can stick you in a heartbeat. A quarter inch of slime on top of frozen ground. I’ve had to wait until the wee hours for it to freeze so I could get home.