Tire Chains vs Cables

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used either, but I have to buy a set before next years hunt. I have a 2019 F250 4X4 with 35" tires. I am going to put new tires (normally duratracs or Ridge grapplers) on it before next fall, but I'll still need chains or cables. For you guys with experience what do you recommend? Pros/Cons of both?

I have no experience with cables however I purchased a full set of peerless auto tracks for my frontier last year for Colorado 3rd season muledeer.

These were worth their weight in gold!!! The only problem I had was one that was my fault....my tire treads were getting worn down. Hind sight I would have purchased a new set before the trip and held onto them and replaced through attrition. This became a true problem due to the snow melt off and the mud that was created. I truly though I was going to get stuck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
No comparison. If your truck can handle the chains, get chains. Get real ones too. Skip the cookie cutter auto parts place offerings and buy a set of V bar with cam locks and don’t look back.
I’ve had great luck buying chains at Blue Jay Industrial in Hayden, ID.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I 100% agree with PNWGATOR, v bars are the only way to go. If you get to a point when chains are needed cables are not going to do. My only word of advice is dont wait until your stuck to decide to put them on and on that note learn beforehand how to put them on. Nothing worse than learning all the rubber tensioners are dry rotted and you are in 12in of icy water and have no clue how to actually put them on your tires.

Tod osier

WKR
I haven't used either, but I have to buy a set before next years hunt. I have a 2019 F250 4X4 with 35" tires. I am going to put new tires (normally duratracs or Ridge grapplers) on it before next fall, but I'll still need chains or cables. For you guys with experience what do you recommend? Pros/Cons of both?

I've always carried chains and used them a couple times, but never really needed them in mud or extremely deep snow. Upgrading to a an 2019 F250 myself too this year I had some concerns about getting chains that would hold up to the weight of the truck and stresses of being in mud or slop. I talked to a couple different manufacturers and in all cases the recommended chains for mud on that truck were the heaviest made and they specified very heavy traditional chains without cams since they are the strongest (either heavy links or alloy links on the cross chains).

Major caveat is that the 2019 F250 has a class "S" clearance requirement and there are no chains that are class "S" rated that are suitable for mud on an very heavy truck like your F250 (and no cables for sure). I can't comment on how your 35s impact this, but they could be better or worse than stock (better if they are narrower and taller or the wheels are offset).

I have 2 different chains on my truck (one set front and one back). I always cut the inside to length, so I don't' have to deal with the tail swinging on the inside. I have the equivalent of Quick grip Wide (top left of page) that I had from my previous 1/2 ton and they should be OK (cross chains are lighter) and Quick Grip Mud, which are what everyone I talked to said was the preferred size in mud for a 3/4 ton (that or the even better alloy chains an example on the right hand page lower right). None of these are type S, so they are not recommended. I've tested for clearance for my use and am OK.

Chains are rated by side link size and cross link chain size. The sheet I linked had them specified.

Last edited:

Squamch

WKR
I used to be Parts sales mgr. of a local auto parts store.
Cables are for passenger cars on snow packed paved roads.
Chains are for trucks in deep mud/muck and water.
Putting cables on a truck is like putting slicks on,no traction
whatsoever! 〽💥

Absolutely. In fact, I've seen cables fall down between the lugs of mud tires and effectively REDUCE traction.
The biggest, gnarliest chains you can find is the best bet.

Tod osier

WKR

Putting new tires on you might want to think about chain clearance and go slightly narrower. You are going to have to do some looking at the 35s adn how they impact clearance. There is not a ton of room with stock tires.

tdot

WKR
Cables = 4 Season Tire
Chains = Mud Tire
V Chain = Super swamper

I have a set of hybrid chains for my Sprinter van. It looks like they are now made by Thule. They are a pretty decent compromise if you dont need the ultimate in traction.

11boo

WKR
Chains of course. Extra tensioners. Unless the chains fit perfectly, there will be a few links hanging free. I usually keep some tie wire in the kit, tie down the loose end and safety wire the chain clamp down too.

nothing like losing a chain in a mud hole. Keep a small tarp for kneeling in the mud.

Clarence

WKR
Cables are nice on road and ride smoother on hard surfaces. They are pretty common on on highway commercial truck applications. They aren't what you are looking for.I would recommend to anyone looking to drive BLM roads to have at least one set of chains. Chain the front axle first if conditions aren't too bad. Buy heavy duty ones with the cams like others have said. Make sure you size them up before needing them. In pick-up applications, it seems common that they are sold a little big. Just take a cut off wheel to the extra length. I like to be able to 2 to 3 extra links with a new set of tires. Leaves enough to work with and not too long of a tail. My .02

How much of a lift do you have? Might not clear chains or cables on the fronts if you're not lifted at least 4-6 inches with 35s I would assume. Clearance is less of an issue on the rear tires.

I 100% agree with PNWGATOR, v bars are the only way to go. If you get to a point when chains are needed cables are not going to do. My only word of advice is dont wait until your stuck to decide to put them on and on that note learn beforehand how to put them on. Nothing worse than learning all the rubber tensioners are dry rotted and you are in 12in of icy water and have no clue how to actually put them on your tires.
Or you might look like this???IMG_2227.jpg

wysongdog

WKR
Square link, cam lock chains. Dry fit them at your house and drive them around making sure they don't rub. Much better time to do that in the mud or snow and find out they don't fit like they were supposed to.

I use cables on the front and chains on the rear. The ability to steer confidently, later remove the rear chains, and then drive 40mph with cables is worth the additional cost/effort. I'd probably use the same setup even if I cleared chains on the front.

100% agree with everyone saying if you stop and think you might need to chain up, just do it.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
1. cables are for those that sit down to pee or aren't sure which bathroom to use.
2. v bar chains for sure
3. put them on before you "need" them
4. keep your speed down. It's amazing how much stuff gets wrecked when you are in Baja mode. Let the chains do the talkin...

I have had the best luck finding high quality chains in farm/ranch stores and actual tire dealers out west.

Quick grip chains: avoid the ones that have the extra metal bar to turn and tension the cam lock= one extra part to lose and break. Small roll of tie wire or pack of zip ties, and always extra tension straps or spare bungee cords. Chain set is a permanent fixture in my F350.