Tire Chains vs Cables

rayporter

WKR
i have 2 sets of chains, neither of which are v bar and they have served me well since 1974. got caught in a blizzard in about 79 and busted through a 4 ft drift, the guys watching said a film clip would have made a commercial for ford. so i really dont think the average person needs v bars. heck few of them will ever use the chains.

which brings up another point. practice putting them on. they get tangled and you have to learn how to untangle them before putting them on. learn the attachments and how to bungee them on dry ground.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used either, but I have to buy a set before next years hunt. I have a 2019 F250 4X4 with 35" tires. I am going to put new tires (normally duratracs or Ridge grapplers) on it before next fall, but I'll still need chains or cables. For you guys with experience what do you recommend? Pros/Cons of both?
It was asked a few posts above but, I'll ask again. Do you have any lift on the front? 35's will fit on a stock truck like your's, even without a lift - until you compress the suspension. In the mountains, you WILL compress your suspension. Adding chains will send you to the body shop after your trip, provided you don't rip out you brake lines etc. If your plan is to take your truck off-road while hunting, and you have no lift, go back to your stock sized tires before adding chains to the equation. Just sayin'.

OP
B

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
It was asked a few posts above but, I'll ask again. Do you have any lift on the front? 35's will fit on a stock truck like your's, even without a lift - until you compress the suspension. In the mountains, you WILL compress your suspension. Adding chains will send you to the body shop after your trip, provided you don't rip out you brake lines etc. If your plan is to take your truck off-road while hunting, and you have no lift, go back to your stock sized tires before adding chains to the equation. Just sayin'.
I have a leveling kit on the truck. The tires are actually 285/75r18 (35"x11.6")

for heavy ice on concrete commercial HD z chains(cables) about $200 for set of two

mud/snow off concrete v bar chains

I have both. Use the commercial z chains HD(cables) most, they are much bigger diameters then the passenger/LT/SUC cables. I run mud tires they are thicker then grooves of my tires

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have 35's on two of my trucks. I have a full set of chains for each. I buy 2 pair of semi truck chains and cut about 10" out of them and end up with uber tough cam lock chains that are tight as a drum when I tightened up all the cams and I don't screw around with bungee snubbers. I'm buying them for about $70 a pair new.

Clarence

WKR
I have 35's on two of my trucks. I have a full set of chains for each. I buy 2 pair of semi truck chains and cut about 10" out of them and end up with uber tough cam lock chains that are tight as a drum when I tightened up all the cams and I don't screw around with bungee snubbers. I'm buying them for about $70 a pair new.
70 dollars a pair with cams is a killer deal. Any chance you would be willing to share your source?

ahlgringo

WKR
70 dollars a pair with cams is a killer deal. Any chance you would be willing to share your source?

Yeah- second that, looking for a second pair. Paid 100 for the first and thought that was a great deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I bought them locally (Spokane) new in the bags off of craigslist. I bought them a couple different times and both guys were asking the same price.

In 8 years, I've never needed chains, and it can get nasty where I go. Mud terrain tires get the job done just fine. Part of it is the driver. :)

1. cables are for those that sit down to pee or aren't sure which bathroom to use.
2. v bar chains for sure
3. put them on before you "need" them
4. keep your speed down. It's amazing how much stuff gets wrecked when you are in Baja mode. Let the chains do the talkin...

I have had the best luck finding high quality chains in farm/ranch stores and actual tire dealers out west.
Better get rid of my cables 😉

WCB

WKR
Chains...some can go years or a lifetime without using them. 3 years in a row guiding in MT we would have not made it out of trail head with chains. I don't care what kind of tire you have on your truck, a narrow FS Road sloped to the outside covered in an inch of clear ice....no super mudder tire will save you.

Squamch

WKR
In 8 years, I've never needed chains, and it can get nasty where I go. Mud terrain tires get the job done just fine. Part of it is the driver. :)

One thing about a good driver, is they understand the limitations of their equipment and their ability.
I agree that mud tires do fine...until they don't.
Then chains help, a lot. In fact...chains even help mud tires, NOT in the snow.

This! At least make sure they clear! The other thing no one thinks about is the ability to turn your wheels hard one way or another.... Front tire clearance is absolutely critical. If you turn your wheels all the way, make sure you have inches of clearance between tire and front fender... it looks good tell the tires are cranked.
Cables are for pavement, ice and even then they are garbage on a truck. Get good chains.
I run V-Bars on the rear for maximum traction and heavy semi chains on the front to clear when I turn and crank my wheels on my newer ford, my old 97 powerstroke gets V-bar chains all the way around.

Check here on steer tires- this is pushing it in my opinion. If I was doing more serious off-roading in this truck I’d probably have trouble..
45811A3A-858B-4BC3-B71D-D8F267015562.jpeg

It’s amazing where you can get a truck and even a trailer with good chains. 5AFA27A5-86AB-4A3C-B526-1DDC78943FB6.jpeg

Baddog

WKR
V bar cam locks and get U.S. steel not Chinese. It’ll cost more but worth it. Use the bungees like the guy above and bring a wire tie to cinch up the extra links on the inside if there is some so they don’t beat the hell out of your brake lines. And practice installing them. You don’t hardly need to get dirty if you know proper installation.

jm1607

WKR
Thought I would bump this thread..

Do you guys run 2 chains or 4 chains? If 2 do you put them on the front or back?