Tire chains

In my opinion the reason they might say not to use on fronts is because of brake lines and low tire clearance. Keep in mind you need clearance while steering and if suspension compresses.

Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of the newer trucks have 20" wheels or bigger and there isn't alot of tire sidewall to keep those chains away from wheels, brake components, etc. I have a stock height 2006 4runner with stock tires that occasionally rubs when turning-probably wouldn't chain it up. On the other hand my 79 ford with 4" lift and 35" tires with 15" wheels has plenty of clearance for chains and beating around in the rough stuff.

I recommend getting a set and make sure you get the tool to tension them and the rubber bungies to help keep them tight. If you get them on its a good idea to drive a small distance and tighten them up again.

isu22andy

WKR
In my opinion the reason they might say not to use on fronts is because of brake lines and low tire clearance. Keep in mind you need clearance while steering and if suspension compresses.

Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of the newer trucks have 20" wheels or bigger and there isn't alot of tire sidewall to keep those chains away from wheels, brake components, etc. I have a stock height 2006 4runner with stock tires that occasionally rubs when turning-probably wouldn't chain it up. On the other hand my 79 ford with 4" lift and 35" tires with 15" wheels has plenty of clearance for chains and beating around in the rough stuff.

I recommend getting a set and make sure you get the tool to tension them and the rubber bungies to help keep them tight. If you get them on its a good idea to drive a small distance and tighten them up again.

Haha do they even make tire chains for 20s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
All new vehicles are a no go on chains for the front ends per the owners manual... which is just BS lawyer talk to cover themselves. Yes new stock vehicles have less clearance on the front ends. The solution is buy some "S" class chains for the front and some heavy duty ones for the rear. For folks that are recommending you to just put chains on the rear tires have obviously never used chains in truly adverse conditions. When you only chain the rear it pushes your rig in a straight direction, because your front end is getting no traction so steering becomes nearly useless. My recommendation is buy some "S"class chains for the front, if you're the the type that likes to be over prepared buy some standard chains for the rear in addition to the S class front chains. By the way chains work pretty good for getting a rig unstuck from a mud hole, I'm sure you have plenty of those down south. Good luck on your elk hunt!

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll by a set for the fronts and rears and make sure they fit before I head out west. Hopefully I’ll have them and not need them.

I thought I’d post a few pics of where I perceive clearance issues. Any of y’all see any concerns?

2AD0CAEC-0EBA-49A1-A73B-3D4E7224D88B.jpeg88C72A85-263B-4F45-B8CB-D3CBB77B40AE.jpegB4442ABB-CBD8-4D8F-A7E6-6A8C44C0C094.jpeg

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Get heavy duty for the outside rear, and a class S cable “chain” for the fronts.

There are true dual tire chains, but you don’t need them.

If possible, practice putting them on in a clean, dry place before you have to do it for real. Learning live in the cold/dark/wet is going to be cause for swearing if you’re so inclined.

Titan

WKR
You need to turn full lock and recheck your clearance. Its the edge of the tire that will be close to the inside rear wheel well and edge of your front bumper. But just from that photo, I would guess you should be ok.

WTFJohn

WKR
Haha do they even make tire chains for 20s ?

V-Bar chains on all 4 with 20" wheels. I wouldn't drive far or fast with this setup, but that has more to do with ride quality with over an inch of steel chain between the tire & road than it does clearance.

PfCqAw3.jpg

GotDraw?

WKR
By the looks of your front tires, you definitely should bring chains or you'll have NOTHING in the snow or gumbo. Prior posters warning on CO gumbo are 100% correct, you can quickly find yourself southbound over a cliff even at low speed in greasy gumbo.

I also note the high number of folks imploring you to practice putting them on, me included-- although I use "cable" chains + snow tires when it's real bad and have been amazed at what they can do.

Keep to your promise and practice with them a time or two. Check YouTube for video tips

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
Also, put your chains on well before you need them. As prior posters note, doing it when you're in deep gumbo sucks and doing it when it snowing, your fingers are frozen and traffic is backed up behind you also sucks.

A good stock 4x4 with solid AT tires and a snow shovel will get you into most places within reason in my experience. If your dealing with over a foot of snow unplowed or more you getting into some sketchy territory. Chains are cheap insurance and worth bringing for sure although i've used them rarely. You can chains online based on tire size. I recommend watching a quick youtube tutorial and putting the chains on in your driveway in nice weather to get the idea vs putting them on in the mud and snow with frozen hands your first time. With chains and some weight in the back your close to unstoppable.