Tire chains

Poser

WKR
I’m taking the family skiing in Colorado this year for vacation. I’m driving a front wheel drive... minivan. Don’t judge me - I’ve got 4 young kids and mama likes the van for convenience. I drive incognito in a flat brim hat with ears tucked in when I drive it, since no one would recognize me like that. But I digress... should I put chains on the front and back or just front? Seems like putting them on the rears is not necessary, but I’m not too accustomed to snow chains either.

You need them on all 4. Putting chains just on the powered wheels is fine for getting up a hill but driving any distance and you can easily get into some control issues with your non chain wheels sliding sideways in turns, especially with multiple slope angles to contend with. With young kids in the back, absolutely have 4 chains and at least a single practice session putting them on because putting them on in the snow and in the dark for the first time with a stressed wife and screaming kids is not the way the way to learn. Also, a snow shovel, a bag of sand, D-icer, a heavy duty scraper with a brush, Rain X on the interior, a good headlamp and a way to jump your battery. Don’t be “that guy” on I70 unless you want to experience what it feels like to be the recipient of the contempt of 10,000 people.

Also, FYI: anyone driving I70 after September 1st is legally required to have chains or winter tires. On the cheap, even those single use zip tie chains probably aren’t a terrible option.

TheCougar

WKR
You need them on all 4. Putting chains just on the powered wheels is fine for getting up a hill but driving any distance and you can easily get into some control issues with your non chain wheels sliding sideways in turns, especially with multiple slope angles to contend with. With young kids in the back, absolutely have 4 chains and at least a single practice session putting them on because putting them on in the snow and in the dark for the first time with a stressed wife and screaming kids is not the way the way to learn. Also, a snow shovel, a bag of sand, D-icer, a heavy duty scraper with a brush, Rain X on the interior, a good headlamp and a way to jump your battery. Don’t be “that guy” on I70 unless you want to experience what it feels like to be the recipient of the contempt of 10,000 people.

Also, FYI: anyone driving I70 after September 1st is legally required to have chains or winter tires. On the cheap, even those single use zip tie chains probably aren’t a terrible option.

thanks, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. 16 out of 18 years I have been stationed in hot dry places where driving in the snow isn’t an issue. Thanks again for the help!

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
It's a $650 fine for driving without chains on I70 when the chain law is in effect. And worse, being stuck on Vail or Loveland pass all day. Good luck and enjoy.