Tire chains

jeepfan

FNG
Very good chance I will be headed to CO this time next year. Will probably be driving from NC. Truck will probably have standard LT road tires. Wondering if a set of chains would be a good investment. Truck is an 06 F150 4x4 supercrew with 275/65/18 tires. Never had chains before so wondering who makes good ones.

Yes. Don’t be like us...went out last year a week from today, rolled into what amounted to about 18” of snowfall, and got hosed by a local chain dealer. Same truck. From what I’ve heard CO got nailed early this year. Prepare better and save $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I think there are only a handful of companies that actually make chains while others just put their name on it. I have some from Glacier Chain which I believe is the same ones from Peerless and a handful of other companies. I prefer the heavy duty V-bar chain with the cams which really helps get them on the tire. Sometimes you can find them cheapest on Amazon

https://www.tirechainsonline.com/275-65R18-truck-chains-s/980.htm

I strongly recommend buying a set. Your F150 very likely won't allow you to use standard chains on the front. Practice putting them on 2 or 3 times before you head to the hills to make sure you know what you're doing.

Possibly try some "S" clearance for the front but I've found my 2017 F150 is even tight with those.

Last edited:

Idahoguy

FNG
I have a f250 and f350 and used to have a f150. I have used chains on all of them. Make sure there is clearance in the front for brake lines and keep them tight of they will hit your fender. Mine were off of a road grader and I cut them down to fit. You can go anywhere you want with chains on all 4 tires.

rayporter

WKR
agree with above my chains are very old and have out lasted many trucks. one set is over 40 years old and the other is around 35. neither have v bars. there is a place for v bars but a guy carrying chains for occasional emergency use certainly does not need v bars. if you need the most dig and will run on ice or a lot of road travel then v bars are the way to go.

Lando

WKR
I highly recommend having chains for CO. I bought a set for all 4 wheels at a Walmart in CO (only place that had them in stock, but they work great) two years ago in third season after nearly sliding off a cliff one morning in fresh snow. Probably the easiest I've ever parted with my hard-earned money, after that scary experience.

mort9687

FNG
I bought a set from my local NAPA, they were quality chain company brand. I got the non cam style but wish I would have purchased the cam style.

Very good chance I will be headed to CO this time next year. Will probably be driving from NC. Truck will probably have standard LT road tires. Wondering if a set of chains would be a good investment. Truck is an 06 F150 4x4 supercrew with 275/65/18 tires. Never had chains before so wondering who makes good ones.
For peace of mind chains would be great. Peerless makes a good pair with a tightening/locking system.

Abbhudson

FNG
get the chains, and if you're driving up a FS road and asking yourself if you should stop and put them on...do it. you'll save yourself a lot of time and cussing.

Luckyrxc

FNG
Yep. Get 4. Don’t worry about the manufacture. You should be fine getting some from the tire dealer. It’s been a lot of years in that business. Nixdorf, Campbell, etc. there’s a lot of them out there. There was a mention in favor of V bar chains. They really are good but can be hell to drive on for significant distances. I don’t run them anymore but I think they as well as conventional chain would serve you well.

Trr15

WKR
Yep. Get chains for all 4. Even if there isn't snow, there's a good chance there will be mud and it can be as bad, or worse. I got into a tough spot last season during first rifle after it snowed and froze on day 2, then heated up and everything thawed on day 3. I will never not have chains in my truck.

I just bought a pair of chains made from square stock for my Ram 2500 for the front from Vulcantire.com for $145.00 shipped. Then I bought the nastiest set for the rear from Bluejay Indutrial in Hayden Idaho that have tempered spikes welded on the cross links for less than $180 shipped. My problem was finding chains at a decent price running 35 inch tires. Back when I had my 2500 Chevy Napa wanted almost $300 for one pair of standard chains. Another thing I bought and you might want to look at is at tirechains.com. They sell a plastic block that you drive up into and it is rounded out for the shape of a tire and has slots for the cross links ..so you lay the chains over the block and drive up into the tire spot and you still have slack so you can adjust and tighten the chains and not have to jack the truck up to do that or drive a bit and readjust them. A set of those are only $25

OP
J

jeepfan

FNG
Will probably have to invest in some 1.5" wheel spacers for the front. There's less than an inch of clearance now with stock wheels.
I hunted near gunnison in the early 90's and it snowed for two days straight when we got there. We flew out and rented a Jeep XJ with 4x4. I remember we used 4x4 a lot and had to drive in, while the mud/snow was frozen, and not leave until after it froze up again after dark. Took me over 30 minutes at the car wash to get it clean enough to turn in.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m taking the family skiing in Colorado this year for vacation. I’m driving a front wheel drive... minivan. Don’t judge me - I’ve got 4 young kids and mama likes the van for convenience. I drive incognito in a flat brim hat with ears tucked in when I drive it, since no one would recognize me like that. But I digress... should I put chains on the front and back or just front? Seems like putting them on the rears is not necessary, but I’m not too accustomed to snow chains either.