Tire chains??

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyones opinion?
Lets say late Sept forest service rd no jeep trails as they call them on the map.
I am running M/S tires 4x4 quad cab Dakota w/3" body lift
Do I need them?
2 or 4?
Cable or link type?
Should I throw some sand bags in the bed?
Thanks Jason

7mag.

WKR
I would get a pair of link type for the front, just in case. I use cut down log truck chains when it's real icy.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Toyo Open Country M/T and have never used chains. I have been in some pretty bad situations, but so far I have managed. Probably not a bad idea though.

On my list before we leave. I feel they are very important. One year I couldn't hunt where I wanted due to not having them. There was a foot of snow before we got there and it melted. It left the road rutted and GREAZZY.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am always packin my chains, as I never know what type of stupid situation I will get myself into when looking for antlers:)

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Link for sure. I will chain up all 4. If you get stuck with all 4 chained up you'll be wishing you had a winch.

RosinBag...No problems with the lugs.

No need for chains here.
L1030363.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Chains are a must in my neck o' the woods. Two are required. Four all the better.

I always have them, and use them probably 10 times a season.

They are especially important when trailering.

a3dhunter

WKR
I've never had to use them in archery season, but have taken them on hunts in October or later in the year.
I have chains for all 4 tires, when they are on it feels like nothing can stop you......until you really start plowing deep snow...lol

yes atleast 2. if you dont use them, great. If you need them and dont have them, well...... better to have and not need than to need and not have in my opinion.

i needed mine a couple weeks ago when i figured i could get across a snow drift in the road. and well lets just say if you buy bigger tires you also need to buy bigger chains!! Had to wait an hour for my buddy to get there to dig, lift (hi lift jack, another must have) pull and push to get my sorry butt out!!

my new "sunday drive" list consists of
shovel
chains that fit
Hi Lift jack
cumalong
and tow strap

the only one I had was a toe strap, NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
Always a good idea to have them. 2 is good 4 is better. I prefer linked v-bar chains but you have to make sure you have ample wheel well clearance to run them.

7mag.

WKR
Always a good idea to have them. 2 is good 4 is better. I prefer linked v-bar chains but you have to make sure you have ample wheel well clearance to run them.

Those are the best I've used. You can't use them on paved roads though, at least not in Washington.

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input! That's what I was thinking I'd rather have them and not need them. Kinda like a first aid kit. When you don't have it is when you'll need it.