Tire Chains

FYI, some larger tire box stores will sell you chains and if you do not use them, they will refund your money. We used to do this in college when money was tight.

I carry chains (4) also a come-along, chain, 4 inch nylon strap,..

I also have this RULE:
I do not use chains to get into a place. I only use them to get out of a place.
^This
Bring the chains but leave them in the bed on the way in, chains are best planned to be used for getting back out. If you use them to get in and conditions worsen it's a whole new ballgame.

mlgc20

WKR
This picture is from the first week of September 2020 in Colorado. The picture doesn't do it justice. But, my truck wasn't going anywhere without some help. I didn't bring chains since my F250 says not to use them. And when I got pulled out the tow guy said they wouldn't have gotten me out anyway. But, chains have been in my truck ever since. Getting tow people into the backcountry is a difficult task. The chains are a relatively cheap insurance policy to help keep you self sufficient.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907-183211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907-183211_Gallery.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 197

KOK

FNG
This picture is from the first week of September 2020 in Colorado. The picture doesn't do it justice. But, my truck wasn't going anywhere without some help. I didn't bring chains since my F250 says not to use them. And when I got pulled out the tow guy said they wouldn't have gotten me out anyway. But, chains have been in my truck ever since. Getting tow people into the backcountry is a difficult task. The chains are a relatively cheap insurance policy to help keep you self sufficient.
is that a driveway? 4-wheel drive helps

mlgc20

WKR
is that a driveway? 4-wheel drive helps
No. It's a wash about 10 miles from a paved road. Yeah, I had 4 wheeled drive. 4 wheeled drive worked great until a section of the road that was tilted about 15 degrees sideways.

fmyth

WKR
The all volunteer group Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery will come and recover you/your vehicle for free. Here is a link to their FB group. I have their number saved in my phone. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=colorado 4x4 rescue and recovery

bradyhunt

FNG
Classic Texan move around here. Thinking their big, heavy ford will go anywhere cuz it has 4x4 and they have tread on their tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Classic Texan move around here. Thinking their big, heavy ford will go anywhere cuz it has 4x4 and they have tread on their tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I pulled out a guy with CO plates in the 2019 3rd rifle season, he didn't mind my Texas plates too much... just sayin.
edit: He had either an F250 or F350 can't remember.

For me the chains aren't for mud or x-country but for ice when the snow gets packed down on the north sides.

I keep two sets in a ammo box in the back. Pulling a horse trailer, it's a safety issue both ways. Most of the time I only use chains on the front. It's a bad day when I need them on all four. When I get to that point, I usually park at the bottom and ride in.

Adequate prep includes chains, tow straps, log chain, come-along and some times a set of mine lagging for mud holes. Plan ahead!