Tire pressures on long trips on/offroad

Squamch

WKR
On my full size, I don't air down.
On wheelers, I'll run 10psi, or less with beadlocks. On rigs that I consistently air down a lot, I glue my beads on with roof repair caulking. My tire guy hates it, but it works like a hot damn.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Where I live, the rocks will eat a fully inflated tire, If I'm going to run up to the mountains, I'll deflate my tires down to 35-40 psi or so, I drive a Ram 2500 Cummins and they want it inflated to 65 front and 80 rear. The only time I inflate that high is when I'm towing my camper and taking a road trip. Otherwise they stay at 60.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Good info, never knew the benefits of lowering the pressure1

I leave my tires at 50 psi all the time for towing and better tread wear - per my tire shop.
I can only speak to my tire rim combo, but mine actually wear much better and more even, deflated well under spec, I also drive a really heavy truck.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
5psi rule.
5psi difference between hot and cold tyres is the ideal pressure. The cold inflation pressure will change with load and speed.
If the difference between hot and cold is less than 5psi then the cold pressure was too high and vice versa.

this is a general rule for touring. for slow offroading then lower pressures may be needed for traction.
Can you elaborate on the 5 psi rule?

My 17" tires are rated for 35 psi (44 max) and I set them all at 38 psi.

While driving at highway speeds on a hot summer day, they get up to 42 - 43 psi.

I have them a bit higher thinking to get better mpg. After reading this thread, I may air down a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TomJoad

WKR
I usually deflate for all the reasons mentioned above...grab one of these and forget the car key -

Also, picked one of these up as well but haven't put this one through its paces yet:

This is my exact set-up.

Airing down takes 5 min for all 4 corners. I only don’t do it if it’s dirt only and a short (10 min) trail. It’s never worth it on rock and even risky on dirt. I’ve had an errant tree scrap tear a 4” gash in E rated tires at full inflation, they just won’t give and move out of the way like you need them to at full pressure. 5 min vs a possible $300 bill for rubber, easy choice on my side.

Inflation takes under 10 min with the viair but that’s with decent size 33s that I take way down to 18-20lbs.

I consider both of these affordable items my #1 and #2 pieces of recovery gear, because more than anything else I carry they actively help me not get stuck the most.

ozyclint

WKR
Can you elaborate on the 5 psi rule?

My 17" tires are rated for 35 psi (44 max) and I set them all at 38 psi.

While driving at highway speeds on a hot summer day, they get up to 42 - 43 psi.

I have them a bit higher thinking to get better mpg. After reading this thread, I may air down a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
38psi cold and 43psi hot is a 5psi difference. your in the butter zone. if the difference between cold and hot is less than 5psi then the cold pressure is too high and vice versa.

when you go from a light load to a real heavy load you will need more cold pressure to maintain the 5psi difference. speed matters too. heavy loads at highway speeds demand higher pressure.