Tired of looking

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a while, decided to jump into the conversation for a few reasons -- this thread being one of them.

I've spent an unreasonable amount of time searching this forum, review blogs, Texas hunting sites, and reading Amazon/REI reviews looking for the right boot for my use case and parameters.

I live in central Texas and hunt just south of San Antonio on fairly flat peanut farming land. I hunt, hike, and backpack (15–30-mile desert mountain treks). I prefer stalking whitetails and hogs along river oaks and mesquite thickets. I walk 3-5 miles per hunt in very sandy soil with harsh cacti, nettle, and other angry plants. I hunt in an area with venomous snakes. I've never been in a close call but my uncle was bitten by a rattler on the ranch and I'm cautious.

I've been wearing Chippewa snake boots for the last 4 years. I just can't do them anymore. I don't like how they fit my foot. I'm not a fan of the heel cup area. They have heel slop but if I went down a size, they'd be too short. They are the hardest boots I've ever had to get off, even with a boot jack. My calves cramp every time I try. I've even been in a couple of situations in which I didn't think they were going to come off and my foot was losing circulation fast. They are heavy and aren't good hikers. They are also pretty hot but that's the least of my complaints.

All that said, I'd like to ask you all here for your recommendation with or without taking the below parameters into consideration. All recommendation are welcome.

Good for the ranch, hunting, and backpacking use cases above (maybe an elk hunt in the future)
Full-grain leather to help with snake protection along with snake gaiters
6-9"
Gore-Tex for morning dew, river bottom, and rain hunting (which I enjoy)
Vibram sole
Uninsulated
Something I could get lightly used for $150 to $200

I appreciate your help.

Have you ever heard of Hoffman armorpro. Not sure how to post a link on here yet. Leather and kinda like a a bed liner material . Kinda like rhinoline. Check em out.

Big Bore

FNG
I live in New Braunfels and hunt out in Junction. Same thing, snakes are always a possibility. My snake boots are Ariats from Cavenders. Pretty sure they hit all your requirements and I absolutely love them. Super comfortable even when chasing (as in running) hogs with dogs in the middle of the night.

EdP

WKR
Leather, Vibram, and Goretex for $200 is a big ask. The Asolo 520 GTX is an excellent boot, my standard hiker, and runs $350. Paired with snake gaiters they would serve you well. As with any boot the key is that it is made on a last that fits your foot. The Asolo fits me but your foot may be different and a different mfg's product might work better. Regardless, the price is unlikely to be much different. The Zamberlan 1007 is a bit less expensive at $290. I don't have any experience with Zamberlan hikers but they are a quality product from Italy. Also leather, Vibram, and Goretex. You might get closer to the $200 mark if you find them on sale.

I'm phobic, was struck by a diamondback at boy's camp and it left a bigger scar on my psyche than my thigh. I wear these because they are lightweight, easy on & off and work quite well. Cheap too.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04