Tired of lugging around my heavy rifle

Vandy321

WKR
Growing tired of lugging around a heavy rifle in the mountains. Have carried a 12lb and a 20lb rifle, they are hammers, but just too dang heavy...self inflicted mistake, time to rectify.

The Kimber Mt Ascent come to mind in 6.5 PRC, but they seem hit or miss in the accuracy department (trigger is pretty heavy?)

Have seen the seekins havak element listed plenty of times, and at 1/2 lb heavier, it seems like a shooter too.

Would love to find a used Fieldcraft, but can't. Don't really have interest in the Savage 110 or the CA Ridgeline due to the weight and stocks (no desire to swap stocks out).

Is ths Havak Element (4 month lead time) really worth $1k more the Kimber MA? Any other suggestions I haven't thought of?

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Yes!

With the mixed reviews on Kimber and the Seekins accuracy guarantee, it makes sense. The waiting is the hardest part.

I have the Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC. Shoots lights out with ELD-X and ELD-M.

I think the Kimber MA is overpriced, especially when all you are getting is a few flutes and a different (though not better) stock over the montana and the hunter.

If I wanted a lightweight 6.5 PRC around $2K-3K and without the wait, I would go with an in-stock Fierce.

There is also the Browning Xbolt Pro or Hells Canyon, Cooper Backcountry ($$$), and Christensen Arms (though CA lost me, but others have had good experiences).

>>>----JAKE----->

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Yes!

With the mixed reviews on Kimber and the Seekins accuracy guarantee, it makes sense. The waiting is the hardest part.

I have the Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC. Shoots lights out with ELD-X and ELD-M.

I think the Kimber MA is overpriced, especially when all you are getting is a few flutes and a different (though not better) stock over the montana and the hunter.

If I wanted a lightweight 6.5 PRC around $2K-3K and without the wait, I would go with an in-stock Fierce.

There is also the Browning Xbolt Pro or Hells Canyon, Cooper Backcountry ($$$), and Christensen Arms (though CA lost me, but others have had good experiences).

>>>----JAKE----->

Its tough to tell if the mixed reviews (aka the bad reviews in particular) regarding Kimber Mtn Ascent accuracy are from quality shooters and the rifle really is a crap shoot, or if the rifle is capable and maybe the shooter isn't doing his part on a 5lb rifle with a fairly stiff trigger?

Really would like to pull the trigger on one and save the coin over the havak, ive had my share of custom rifles and I just don't think I see the return on investment. If I can find a 1/2 moa factory rifle for $1500, id be happy.

Would even go so far as to buy a Tikka t3x superlight, however I don't think they chamber it in 6.5PRC

Last edited:
The Kimber trigger is adjustable and goes lower than is safe. With that said, I definitely believe their rifles are/were a crapshoot. I’ve had great luck with two, but there are too many bad reviews out there to assume they haven’t, at least, had issues in the past.

I see you posted this in Long Range Hunting, I would not consider the Kimbers to be long range(600+ yards) rifles. Yes, they will do it, but their light weight GREATLY magnifies any errors in your form. Not only that, it’s already hard enough finding a decent rest in some of the places I hunt, I couldn’t imagine trying to stabilize a 6lb rifle in field positions enough to shoot over 600 yards. Just my two cents.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Tikka doesn't make a facrory t3x in PRC unfortunately.
Mines a .260 and has killed multiple animals past 1,000 yards. Didn’t realize you were set on the PRC, my bad on reading comprehension haha. I wish they’d chamber one in .28 Nosler as I’m currently finding a replacement for my Ridgeline.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A thought... What about doing a Proof Glacier clone? You should be able to get the action, barrel, and stock for around $3,000 or so and save yourself about $3000 versus buying one.

brsnow

WKR
Kimber is a much lighter rifle. I have 2 fieldcraft and 2 kimber, there is a more noticeable ease of carry than the scale shows. That being said, fieldcraft are easy and accurate, I would hold out for a used one.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think it would be a more fair comparison to include the magazine with the weight. Also, what about scope, rings and such? Total rifle weight I think is more useful for the OP.
Total rifle weight is completely dependant on scope, rings, and weight of the ammo. That’s why you weigh the bare rifle.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Kimber is a much lighter rifle. I have 2 fieldcraft and 2 kimber, there is a more noticeable ease of carry than the scale shows. That being said, fieldcraft are easy and accurate, I would hold out for a used one.
Would you mind expanding on that a bit? Is the barrett that much more accurate, any examples? What do you mean by easy? aside from the kimbers 3 pos safety alot of folks complain about. Thanks. Edit, the barrett wasn't avail in PRC either. More and more looking like it's gonna be a Kimber or Seekins

brsnow

WKR
Would you mind expanding on that a bit? Is the barrett that much more accurate, any examples? What do you mean by easy? aside from the kimbers 3 pos safety alot of folks complain about. Thanks. Edit, the barrett wasn't avail in PRC either. More and more looking like it's gonna be a Kimber or Seekins
You can pick up a fieldcraft and shoot it accurately. Kimbers are accurate as well, but for me there was a learning curve and less forgiving. At my hunting ranges both work fine. I did not have any quality issues with either.

A thought... What about doing a Proof Glacier clone? You should be able to get the action, barrel, and stock for around $3,000 or so and save yourself about $3000 versus buying one.

I’d take a factory tikka stock over that glacier stock.

Mines a .260 and has killed multiple animals past 1,000 yards. Didn’t realize you were set on the PRC, my bad on reading comprehension haha. I wish they’d chamber one in .28 Nosler as I’m currently finding a replacement for my Ridgeline.
I read somewhere that a 28 nosler tikka is in the works for 2021.

Couldve been bullshit, but I don’t think it was.