Tired of lugging around my heavy rifle

This isn’t constructive whatsoever. Make your own thread about scopes and rings and the weight of ammo if you want to talk about them but OP made this one about the rifle.

Well, when I go into the field, I carry the rifle all assembled, and I even carry ammunition. That all plays into the total weight of the whole package. Showing the weight of a stripped down firearm is pointless. Caliber selection alone determines the trajectory of the weight of the rifle. It all adds up.

Well, when I go into the field, I carry the rifle all assembled, and I even carry ammunition. That all plays into the total weight of the whole package. Showing the weight of a stripped down firearm is pointless. Caliber selection alone determines the trajectory of the weight of the rifle. It all adds up.
Yes, but @mxgsfmdpx doesn't know or necessarily have what the op is going to outfit his particular rifle with. So he gave him the bare rifle weight, which would be the op's unknown number. Now the op can take said weight and add it to the already known weight of his rings, scope, ammo, etc. And get a better idea of a full carry weight when in the field. Hope this helps explain.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes, but @mxgsfmdpx doesn't know or necessarily have what the op is going to outfit his particular rifle with. So he gave him the bare rifle weight, which would be the op's unknown number. Now the op can take said weight and add it to the already known weight of his rings, scope, ammo, etc. And get a better idea of a full carry weight when in the field. Hope this helps explain.
Exactly. A scope, rings, magazine and ammo can vary from adding 1 lb to well over 3 lbs to the weight of the rifle. The guy obviously doesn’t get it. Oh well.

It isn’t pointless. I know what scope and rings I use. I know what they weigh. If he posted a fully kitted rifle I’d have to go look up the weights of his optic and rings and subtract it from the posted weight. The only pointless postings so far have been your troll posts reminding us that we should go afield with fully assembled rifles. We appreciate that but it contributes nothing to the thread. Now post whatever you need so you can get the last word and let the adults get back on topic.

HuntnPack

WKR
Is ths Havak Element (4 month lead time) really worth $1k more the Kimber MA? Any other suggestions I haven't thought of?
I own a Seekins Element and would highly recommend it. Well worth the wait.
Great quality build with quality components. Excellent warranty, & customer service. Great value.
My 6.5 PRC is 5.5# bare & 7.86# braked.
8.1# suppressed & field rdy.
Shoots .477 moa with Custom loaded Unknown Munitions 156 Berger’s
also shoots factory 143 sub .5
& 147 sub .6

Last edited:
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks all for the inputs...

In PRC, I think I've narrowed it down to the Kimber MA or a Savage 110 Ultralight (at near $1500 less than the seekins, its hard to justify the extra price for a rifle that should be nearly as capable, not to mention the crazy lead time at seekins) ..with the kimber weighing almost 1lb less. Both have their fans and both have their critics. Anybody own both and can compare fit/finish, smoothness of bolt, trigger, etc of these two in particular. Not looking to do anything to either rifle, no new stock, no aftermarket trigger, no nothing. Just want an out of the box, lightweight hunting rifle

nphunter

WKR
Kimbers are well made, great rifles IMO. I purchased hunters for both of my boys in 6.5cm and someday will own a 280AI for myself. I have zero doubt the Kimbers are sub MOA guns in the right hands, I have shot sub MOA with multiple loads in both of my boys rifles off of a bench when shooting well. Both of my boys 11 & 14 can shoot right at or just over MOA with the rifles on a bench and have both killed animals with them.

In the field, I really struggle shooting the Kimbers and prefer my 12lb custom Remington all day for long shots. I would love to have a Kimber MA for sub 500 shooting while backpacking hunting. I have lugged the Remington miles and miles with no issues but man it's sure nice packing those Kimbers around. If only taking one rifle with us though I still reach for the heavy 280AI.